VAMPILLIA – “Rule The World / Deathtiny Land” - REVIEWS

http://vehementconjuration.blogspot.com/2011/05/vampillia-rule-world-deathtiny-land.html

3.5/5

Often when bands deliberately try to be avant-garde, weird, posing in oh so crazy masks in promo pictures, I have zero interest to look into the band. This was also the case with Vampillia’s recent EP, Rule the World / Deathtiny Land, but fortunately I eventually checked it out in spite of all reservations, because it turned out to be quite a beautiful journey through various (and mixed) emotions.

Most importantly, it’s the orchestral parts of the EP that truly stand out, being really intricate and well executed pieces. An easy example could be the classical ”One Day I Thought the World...” and ”Made My Mind to Dominate...” followed by the climatic post-rock ”Day of Departure...” that also incorporates the first signs of metal. But the metal is always in minor role, the soundscape being dominated by orchestral string instruments, clean female singing and some male grunting. The songs are really brief, some lasting mere fifteen seconds, ”Switch and Bomb / Melody Tinborn” running for only four seconds. This all reminds me of Diabolical Masquerade’s Death’s Design combined with Fantômas. Then there’s the rhythmic ”A Deceptive Attack...” that jams like a track from Omar Rodriguez-Lopez’s some solo album.

A lot of ideas have been packed into this short 25-minute whole, making Rule the World / Deathtiny Land seem first really incoherent, passing from an ear to another, hence multiple listens are required for proper comprehension. The EP might not be entirely mindblowing but definitely a worthwile effort crafted with care and vision, also the rather low fidelity sound fits the flowing atmosphere of the record: the last thing this would need is a mood-killing sterile production. No explanations needed, this will most likely appeal to fans of a heavy avant-garde touch in their metal.

http://www.zwaremetalen.com/recensie/19312/Vampillia-Rule-the-World-Deathtiny-Land.html

Volslagen waanzin. Dat is de enige term die in me opkomt bij het beluisteren van Vampillia’s Rule the World / Deathtiny Land. Met een muzikale stijl (waarbij de woorden muzikaal en stijl beide relatief zijn) die ergens tussen Diamanda Galás, Arctic Fire, Japanse game-soundtracks op piano en Klaus Nomi in zit, weet je ongeveer wat je kunt verwachten, en toch ook weer absoluut niet.

Rule the World / Deathtiny Land is een wonderlijk plaatje geworden van vijfentwintig minuten met momenten die grenzen aan het geniale, waarbij piano- en vioolklanken op geslaagde wijze worden gecombineerd met een muur van gitaarwerk. Het volgende moment zit je echter te luisteren naar een dissonant, incoherent geheel waar je bijna de wens van zou krijgen doof te zijn. Of Vampillia briljant is of compleet gestoord zal nog wel even de vraag blijven, maar voor de liefhebbers van volledige muzikale gekte is dit Rule the World / Deathtiny Land misschien nog de moeite om te proberen. Een cijfer lijkt me echter niet op zijn plaats.

http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=9287

8.8/10

If you had to love one country for being nuts, it would be Japan. Vampillia is one more reason. A collective of 11 musicians presents, as the band says, a brutal orchestra. It's not far from the truth if you ask me and if I'm not being mistaken their latest effort, Rule The World/Deathtiny Land, is their second full-length to date.

Everything's obscure in here, even the duality of the title is bizarre since it's not the only part of the album which holds a twofold essence. The album has two track-lists as well with each one of them telling its very own story. There was a man who wanted to own the world, he fought hard to see his ambition turn to life and succeeded, then what? But there was another man, he had the world at his feet, yet solitude and awkwardness had become his daily routine. One day he decided to create his own little world where he could lose himself and fill the emptiness deep inside, then what? Rule The World and Deathtiny Land equally, two parallel lives, a man who wanted the world, a man who had the world, two conflicting morals gasping for different air while struggling to be in each other's position or two different periods of the same person? 28 minutes are not enough to answer all the questions, yet they are enough to blur your mind even more so as to keep on listening until you're completely lost.

Don't let orchestral aristocracy fool you, there's anarchy and frenzy in here. Imagine yourself getting lost in classical soundscapes filled with dreams, fragileness, even melancholy. All of a sudden this serene universe you're floating in collides with the fast-paced drumming and the distorted guitars that reach the limit of noise and all hell breaks loose. The strings and the piano will lull you for only one reason, to wake you up as a born-again lunatic through a massive assault of fury. The high order never embraced anarchy that much and at the same time anarchy never felt so noble, a contradiction within a contradiction.

As for the vocals, you won't know where to hide! A wide variety of operatic ones, paranoid singing, grunts and a lot more parade in front of your very eyes making the overall atmosphere even more demented and complex at the same time. And I shouldn't forget that I like the noisy approach of the percussion at times! The production is awesome during the non-frenzy orchestral moments but when everyone partakes in this asylum fest you get a mix of hell's boiling kitchen, yet oddly, it's not disturbing, it makes up really well for what the band wants to achieve, at least to my ears.

So, how does Vampillia sound like? Imagine Klaus Nomi high on shrooms moshing somewhere in an opera in Japan; ready, steady, boom!

PS.
Surprise, a song from a previous release, but it's smoking my brain cells one after the other for days now, you gotta love that clap on 1.28!

Performance: 9 Songwriting: 9 Originality: 9 Production: 8

Last edited by a moderator:
LOUD MAGAZINE (printed - portugal)

VAMPILLIA
«Rule The World/Deathtiny Land»
[CD – code666/MLI]
Japão e Code 666. Basta juntar estas duas pistas para
ter uma noção do nível de bizarria desmedida que
«Rule The World/Deathtiny Land» oferece. A própria
banda apelida-se como uma versão hardcore dos
Arcade Fire, descrição que, por mais estapafúrdia que possa parecer, é
insuficiente para termos uma clara percepção daquilo que apresentam.
Misturem a beleza e o embalo da música clássica com a agressividade do
death e do black metal, a irreverência do punk, a causticidade do noise e
um pouco de tudo aquilo que possam imaginar e poderão ter uma ideia
aproximada. [7.6] R.A.