Vanden Plas- Christ O

The Stormbringer said:
I don't think VP will ever leave the circle of "bands influenced heavily by Dream Theater (wink, wink)", but their latest album is really good, especially due to the heavy parts being heavier than ever, the soft parts being softer.

DT is great at what they do. Technically, they are (less keys) a bit more ahead of VP, but on the passion/emotics side, VP makes their mark and seperates themselves from 99% of the bands out there.

Bryant

Bryant said:
DT is great at what they do. Technically, they are (less keys) a bit more ahead of VP, but on the passion/emotics side, VP makes their mark and seperates themselves from 99% of the bands out there.

Bryant
DT is now garbage. They are confused and devoid of the "magic" that made their early albums, thus the repetition and their lyrics of how much they hate their fans. Fuck this band. They hate their fans, but most of them are douches that work with the saying, "I love Dream Theater and I'll buy ANYTHING they make". Funny shit because they appear to write music based in the wankery as the main thing, then the music later. The other prog bands have focus and are either mixing it up well (Symphony X) or still writing solid music that is embellished with some technical musicianship such as Threshold and Vanden Plas. These are the bands putting out one good release after another and deserve some spotlight, but these DT monkeys are so blinded by what they do and their grabs for money with the dozen releases a year and dvds. funny how DT writes songs about hating their fans, but have no problem taking our money and putting out a dozen fan releases a year.

In any event, DT is fine without your promotion. Give credit and press to bands that deserve more for their hard work and expensive packaging, such as Symphony X, Threshold, Vanden Plas, Atheist, Celtic Frost, Alchemist, et al.

The Stormbringer said:
I don't think VP will ever leave the circle of "bands influenced heavily by Dream Theater (wink, wink)",.

I would disagree completely with this. Or rather, it's true that they're influenced by DT, but lumping them in that category is doing a severe disservice to the band. What Vanden Plas is doing is completely different from what Dream Theater is doing. VP is much more to the emotional, melodic, atmospheric... even theatrical side of prog metal. Of all the bands influenced by DT, they're probably one of the least similar imo. Same deal with Threshold... another brilliant band that despite the DT influence is doing far more interesting things than DT.

Plus, I think DT is really really tired... I think they're really showing their age and suffering from a severe lack of good ideas and interesting material. Whereas based on the last few Vanden Plas albums, I'd wager the boys haven't even reached their potential, despite the strength of their current albums.

New VP cd is one of the best albums of 2006. Period. At first it sounded bit "strange" but after couple of listenings it started to kick my **s:headbang: !
Andy's use of voice has improved much after previous album:) ...

What I think we have is one of the best prog albums of the last 5-10 years, seriously.

And it doesn't take wanking off to put it together. It takes writing solid music, adding what the fans would want for excitment, musically and technically, and delivering it.

Simply amazing.

sknight said:
What I think we have is one of the best prog albums of the last 5-10 years, seriously.

And it doesn't take wanking off to put it together. It takes writing solid music, adding what the fans would want for excitment, musically and technically, and delivering it.

Simply amazing.

I agree! Tho, their previous album is every bit as amazing. ;)

Their songwriting is absolutely first class, and even their brief moments of "wank" are infinitely more interesting than other prog bands.

sknight said:

Simply amazing.

I agree 100%. "Christ0" pretty much ruined new music for me this year. Other bands can't compete with that disc. Everything I buy sounds like crap compared to that. I honestly think it is up there with releases like "Images and Words" and "Operation Mindcrime" (the original of course.)
Vanden Plas has consistantly released what would be masterpieces by almost any other bands starting with "The God Thing" and they keep getting better and better. I don't know how long they can keep up the pace, but I have been enjoying the ride for almost ten years.

Bryant

I was thinking about saying this is their Images and Words because I hate comparisons of all prog bands going back to DT, but I believe this release is as important to VP's career as I&W was or TDWoT is to SX. Perhaps even in the realm of Awaken the Guardian for FW.

sknight said:
I was thinking about saying this is their Images and Words because I hate comparisons of all prog bands going back to DT, but I believe this release is as important to VP's career as I&W was or TDWoT is to SX. Perhaps even in the realm of Awaken the Guardian for FW.

No offense to your post because I enjoyed reading it....... but I&W MADE Dream Theater. Vanden Plas doesn't need to be compared to DT. They have easily surpassed them. If DT EVER puts out a release equal to "Christ 0" I will sell all of my worldly possessions, move to Utah, grow a long beard and plow fields for a living. It ain't going to happen.

Bryant

Liquid Tension said:
It didn't live up to the hype for me.....

It won't even make my top 10 list of the year....

Other than the obligatory vanden plas fanboy threads here, I've never seen much hype surrounding the band. :D