Vanden Plas- Christ O

arglebargle said:
Other than the obligatory vanden plas fanboy threads here, I've never seen much hype surrounding the band. :D

You're right my comments were after reading this thread along with Ken's comments at lasercd...

Liquid Tension said:
You're right my comments were after reading this thread along with Ken's comments at lasercd...

Hmmm..... Vanden Plas hasn't made a tsunami in the vast ocean of metal with this one, but they did make a wave as opposed to a splash compared to their earlier releases sales wise. They are far from a household name, but word has been getting around of the quality of the release.
I am sorry you don't "get it" but we all have different tastes.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Hmmm.....

I am sorry you don't "get it" but we all have different tastes.

Bryant

Thanks for the laugh!!!

By the way what is there to get with this release so I can look for it the next time I listen to it?

Liquid Tension said:
Thanks for the laugh!!!

By the way what is there to get with this release so I can look for it the next time I listen to it?

I wasn't trying to be comedic in my reply. If you don't like the release, then you simply don't like it. As I previously stated, we all have different tastes. When I used the term "get it" I was simply referring to the style of Vanden Plas. They have carved a niche in metal that is their own. Some like it and some don't. It is as simple as that.
If you want me to truly elaborate, then you are not "getting" a truly elaborate, melodic, emotional and technical journey into an interpretation of a classic novel that has been transposed to a more modern time and culture.
Still to some, the vocals sound whiny or nasal, and there is too much keyboard etc. It is simply personal tastwe my friend.

Bryant

Thanks for another laugh!

At least I now know what to look for later when I play it....

I hope I finally do "get it" since I just filled another cart with a 6 pack! LOL

I never claimed I didn't like it.... Why would you make that claim?
Why do you think their style is something that others like Shadow Galllery aren't doing?

I don't think its a case of not 'getting it'.
I like Vanden Plas (have since 97-98)....have all their cds...i am a fan.

If you want me to truly elaborate, then you are not "getting" a truly elaborate, melodic, emotional and technical journey into an interpretation of a classic novel that has been transposed to a more modern time and culture.

But if you take the storyline out of the cd its really not that different to Beyond Daylight...which i think is a better album....it simply hasn't lived up to the hype that you and others have given it. I got it about 3 weeks ago and was really expecting it to blow me away...other fans were saying that its their best work but to me it sounded very familiar....i've probably given this album more chances than most cds would to grow on me but it still sounds like Beyond Daylight mixed with Abydos....nothing new...song writing 'formulas' from previous albums are present again...melodies too.

Its not a bad album....but its not genius.

Shadow Gallery.....Thanks for the laugh!

Unless Symphony X releases their album by the end of 2006, this album will have a tough time being surpassed by any of the pending 2006 releases I'm aware of.

Platinum Maze said:
Shadow Gallery.....Thanks for the laugh!

Unless Symphony X releases their album by the end of 2006, this album will have a tough time being surpassed by any of the pending 2006 releases I'm aware of.

You're welcome!

This disc is average at best... Track 7 is really good too bad the rest don't live up to that one...

By the way where is the bass guitar in this release?

Anyone who hasn't listened to the new Andromeda release try it after listening to Christo... What a superior disc!

Taliwakker said:
I don't think its a case of not 'getting it'.
I like Vanden Plas (have since 97-98)....have all their cds...i am a fan.

Its not a bad album....but its not genius.

Same with me and since they haven't blown me a way with their recent releases I was holding off buying this new one. Maybe I was expecting a bigger change since these people hyped it so much but it just wasn't there...

sknight said:
You can't reason with a rabid Dream Theater fan. They think DT is the beginning and end of all music.

If you're directing this towards me then you're mistaken and how about adding something about the music to the discussion instead of this garbage? It makes you look childish....

My username is about a Bruce Lee quote not LTE....

What other bands are you Vaden Plas worshipers into beside SyX?

Threshold possibly?

Threshold was an easy guess.... Now electronica is an area that I haven't really explored. Any suggestions?

Jazz fusion bands are always welcome in my player...

Liquid Tension said:
Now electronica is an area that I haven't really explored. Any suggestions?

well, it's such a huge genre, even bigger than metal. There are all kinds of electronic music, from dance-oriented stuff like house and trance, to more mellow stuff like chillout and ambient, to the weirder stuff like IDM. and everything in between. It's pretty hard to recommend stuff, cuz it's a wide genre and you just gotta explore till you find the styles you like (if any). Artists like Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, and Boards of Canada are gr8. I listen to tons of indie artists too, far to many to even start naming.

Liquid Tension said:
If you're directing this towards me then you're mistaken and how about adding something about the music to the discussion instead of this garbage? It makes you look childish....

My username is about a Bruce Lee quote not LTE....

What other bands are you Vaden Plas worshipers into beside SyX?

Threshold possibly?
check here:
http://www.myspace.com/dihydroxyacetonephosphate