Vanden Plas name new album, Artwork for new Yngwie Malmsteen album posted online...

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
German progressive metallers VANDEN PLAS have posted the following message on their official web site:

"The name for the new VANDEN PLAS album has been chosen: It will be a concept album called 'Christ 0' ('Christ Zero'). It's a modern adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' book 'Monte Cristo'. The band is also working on a rock opera based on the same concept, but the regular VANDEN PLAS album is their main priority. Even though the band has been working on theater-oriented material for their rock opera, 'Christ Zero' will be a very heavy album. The band has written more than 25 songs and will chose about 15 of them to work on the arrangements for the album. The leftover material will be used for the rock opera.

"In a recent interview with the French webzine Progressia.net, [vocalist] Andy Kuntz said that the band hasn't abandoned the project of releasing a DVD. They're thinking about recording a full-length show during the tour following the release of 'Christ 0'.

"A new mini website dedicated to Andy Kuntz' solo album 'Abydos' has just been launched at [this location]."

Upcoming VANDEN PLAS shows:

Mar. 18 - Spirit Of 66 - Verviers, BEL
Mar. 19 - Music-Hall - Weiher, GER
---

The cover artwork for the new YNGWIE MALMSTEEN album, "Unleash the Fury", has been posted online at this location.

As previously reported, Universal has set a February 23 Japanese release date for "Unleash the Fury". U.S and European release dates have not yet been confirmed. 19 songs are tentatively set to appear on the CD, including "Drinking with the Devil" (described by Yngwie as "a very intense, personal song), "Cherokee Warrior" (featuring Yngwie on vocals), "Boogie Man" (Yngwie: "Has a riff that just won't quit."), "Guardian Angel" and "Wings of War". There are at least three instrumentals on the album too. However, fans of the fantasy, dungeons and dragons lyrics are in for a shock because there are none.

"Unleash the Fury" recording lineup:

Yngwie Malmsteen - All Guitars
Doogie White - Vocals
Patrik Johansson - Drums
Joakim Svalberg - Keyboards
---

This could be a very interesting Yngwie album considering there is nothing about fantasy, dungeons, dragons, etc. I for one am looking foward to it very much.

It is starting to get a little old. But if it's something new and original, what the hell. I don't pay to much attention to lyrics anyway as long as it fits the melody of the songs. To me thats the most important part, it all has to work together. The voices and lyrics are another instrument that needs to work within the structure of the music.

One thing I am a bit weary on with the new Yngwie album is that it has 19 tracks. Yngwie has great albums but 19 songs tells me there is gonna be a bit of filler on there. I thought Attack was very good but definetly had some filler. Gotta go for quality over quantity. I am still looking foward to it though.

Mxgonzo said:
I'm I the only one who is tired out on the concept album thing?

The last Vanden Plas release "Beyond Daylight" was a concept album, thoough it was a bit "loose" compared to many. That release is awesome. I have no problem with a band that writes good concept albums.... only mediocre or poor ones.

Bryant

lady_space said:
I don't know about tired of it, but it always makes me wary because of the extremely large capacity for cheese.

Well VP has more than pleasantly surprised me on every release from "The God Thing" onward, so I hope they keep up the good work. My copy will probably be an import unless VP releases to the US and Europe concurrently.

Bryant

TheGraveDigger said:
I don't have anything from VP yet... what would be a good first album to pick up?

One of the best thing I like about Vanden Plas is their consistancy. You could start with any of their three last releases and get an awesome release. If you asked three or four VP fans their fav release, you might get three or four different answers.
"Far Off Grace" seems to be a good starting point for many though because the album is a touch more heavy than it's predecessors and follow-up release. None of their releases are overburdened with ballads or anything, but no one will mistake them for a thrash band either. Vanden Plas is a melodic metal band, but they seem to cover the spectrum of faster, mid-paceand slower songs best on "Far Off Grace."

Bryant

Yngvai X said:
I hope the new Yngwie album sounds better than that cover looks, because Attack sure didn't...

I thought Attack was a decent album. Alot of filler but some really good tracks. When I saw Yngwie last year he did alot of songs from that album and I will say I thought they sounded much better in a live setting. The ending of the set was awesome though "I'll see the light toooooonighttttt".

Bryant said:
One of the best thing I like about Vanden Plas is their consistancy. You could start with any of their three last releases and get an awesome release. If you asked three or four VP fans their fav release, you might get three or four different answers.
"Far Off Grace" seems to be a good starting point for many though because the album is a touch more heavy than it's predecessors and follow-up release. None of their releases are overburdened with ballads or anything, but no one will mistake them for a thrash band either. Vanden Plas is a melodic metal band, but they seem to cover the spectrum of faster, mid-paceand slower songs best on "Far Off Grace."

Bryant

Cool, I am gonna definetly look into them. I hope I like them as much as I liked Pagan's Mind. I always said I need to look into Pagan's Mind and Vanden Plas. I chose Pagan's first and I loved them.

Malmsteen hasn't released anything that great since the Concerto Opus for Electric Guitar blah blah blah..... If the cover is equal to the quality of the material, then Yngwie, you were good once, call it a day....

AngraRULES said:
Malmsteen hasn't released anything that great since the Concerto Opus for Electric Guitar blah blah blah..... If the cover is equal to the quality of the material, then Yngwie, you were good once, call it a day....

His last really good studio album was Facing the Animal, I think.

TheGraveDigger said:
Cool, I am gonna definetly look into them. I hope I like them as much as I liked Pagan's Mind. I always said I need to look into Pagan's Mind and Vanden Plas. I chose Pagan's first and I loved them.

Cool !! We need another soldier in the Vanden Plas army. To quote a great philosopher and dear friend of mine, namely Lady Space speaking about Vanden Plas..... "They really have the marriage of songwriting and musicianship down." I couldn't say that in a small novel, but it is precisely what gives them a little heads above most prog bands that are in the scene today.

Bryant