Vanden Plas

ptah knemu said:
U know what's really awkward though? And im just saying this to get back into funny idiot mode. In a few months, when you change your sig, and people look through this thread and see snowmaker's sig, wuldn't they say "what does Snowmaker's sig have anything to do with Vanden Plas?.

Seeing as how its been this way for a few years, I doubt I'll be changing it. :D

Stephan Lill doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves, he said himself he can shred as good as the top guys but without melody it is meaningless, he combines the two beautifully and with perfect dynamics.

Gunter Werno is a real keyboard wiz and in my opinion a supreme originator, he doesn't do as every other keyboard player in this genre and try to copy Jens Johansson or Mike Pinellas’s neo-classical styling. He uses a lot of different sounds and his melody and subtlety are absolute class, the classiest keyboard player in the business, knows melody and exactly when to use it.

Also a mention to the drums and bass which are also phenomenal, you won't find endless double bass thumping but again Andreas Lill certainly has chops and like Werno uses them appropriately and never overplays. The bass is really up in the mix and gives an added counter rhythmic punch, check out the song 'Into the sun' and you'll see what I mean.

Andy Kuntz the singer, well probably the best singer to come out of Germany ever, perhaps not saying a lot but he really has a superb voice, songs like 'Healing Tree' and 'Scarlet Flower Fields’ really display his vocal talent.

Right I'm gonna stop praising this band before I ejaculate but God they're good, better than DT (can he say that?) because they don't cross the OTT line, i.e. 'Another Day' and 'Through her eyes' where you just want to vomit blood at the cringe factor, and they don't show off like DT.

TOTAL CLASS

Have you Vanden Plas lovers check out Andy Kuntz's Solo project 'Abydos'?

It is *awesome* More progressive than Vanden Plas, and the vocals are simply breathtaking. It's being transformed into a "Heavy Mental Shadow Opera" Set for the stage at a Theatre in Germany.

Alexander*_Reborn said:
Gunter Werno is a real keyboard wiz and in my opinion a supreme originator, he doesn't do as every other keyboard player in this genre and try to copy Jens Johansson or Mike Pinellas’s neo-classical styling. He uses a lot of different sounds and his melody and subtlety are absolute class, the classiest keyboard player in the business, knows melody and exactly when to use it.

Yup, couldn't agree more. the guy's playing and writing is total class. Horrendously overlooked, especially when people drool over keyboardists who don't even have 1/10th his creativity, like Rudess, Warmen, Johansson, etc etc etc.

oh crap i forgot about them i have one of there cds (beyond daylight) and i havent listened to it forever thanx for freakin reminding me i love them and there stuff is amazingly catchy:OMG:

arglebargle said:
Yup, couldn't agree more. the guy's playing and writing is total class. Horrendously overlooked, especially when people drool over keyboardists who don't even have 1/10th his creativity, like Rudess, Warmen, Johansson, etc etc etc.

I hate when people rag on Ruddess... he's awesome :headbang:

I love his pure passion while performing. Looks like he's having the most fun humanly possible. :)

I was planning on checking Vanden Plas out, but never got around to it. I figured that they were just power metal. Are there a lot of progressive elements?

Yes, I do know them. Have "The Colour Temple, "Accult", which is a live-acoustic-cd and their latest "Beyon daylight". They are among my all-time faves ;)

Jax said:
It's said "all new" for years?

</smart ass> ;)

Well, he (Chris) did have to revamp it earlier this year after someone, somehow hacked into it and screwed the previous version all up, so technically it is all-new again. :D

Plus, its all about appearance. Would you click on it if it said, "The Same-Old Vanden Plas Message Board"? :p

Ive only heard the album Far Off Grace, and thought that it was quite boring, are the other albums different?