Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hohohohoho....stop. the. press.

Genevieve.jpg

Anyone heard Velvet Cacoon yet on Full Moon Productions? Here is a sample for a track called "Avalon Polo": http://blazing.ws/main/tracks/Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve - Avalon Polo.mp3

They're from Portland, OR, and they've been around since '96, although this is their first official release. Great nighttime atmosphere, cold forest, very 'foggy' production -- get this, they have a studio filled with fucked up homemade instruments, such as a guitar that has diesel fueled pickups that are somehow connected into an 70 gallon aqaurium, or something like that...hahaha, maybe that's a joke -- but anyway, listen to the sample track.

I know they've been mentioned, but I thought they might deserve their own thread. I've just ordered the album from Full Moon (never knew they had an on-line store - great prices, free shipping, good inventory - including new Graveland).

Listen to the sample and discuss. I imagine most people here will appreciate this darkly midnight forest ambience of freezing moonshadowed riffs.

Doomcifer said:
Yes, it fucking rules. I listened to it about 3 times in a row earlier this evening. :kickass:
The sample, or the album?? Shit man, I cannot stop even listening to the sample. Cannot wait to hear the full album. This one song alone screams TOP TEN 2004!!!!

You have the album already? Vunt. Why did you not share the glory already? Velvet Cacoon have been somewhat of a secret!

"Ecofacist Black Metal"! :kickass:

Nope, this is the first time for me as well. Dude, check out the Latest Purchases Thread and see all the cd's I bought today. :lol: SHIT! I'm not done either. I have about $60 to go. :headbang:

I mentioned this album a while ago. It's pretty fucking killer, but after owning it for short of a fortnight, I'm getting pretty bored of it already. Maybe it's just me.

JayKeeley said:
Listen to the sample and discuss. I imagine most people here will appreciate this darkly midnight forest ambience of freezing moonshadowed riffs.

I'm listening to it for the third time now and it doesn't do much for me really. It's droning in a pretty dull and anonymous manner and I think the vocals are too low, when the music is as as intense as this the vocals need to be a lot more coarse, and more importantly; more aggressive and louder. That high pitched cymbal (don't flame me ples if it's some other obscure kind of percussion kthx) breaks through the soundscape in a really annoying manner as well :|

That instrument list might be an elaborate joke, or the result of a vivid hallucination, check out this excerpt from a review of the album:
The album is quite solid; with the exception of the ultra boring closer, Bete Noir, which is an ambient track supposed to be specially designed for hearing while under the effects of dextromethorphan...