Very quick, possibly stupid HPF question...

Oct 16, 2010
Uk
Hi.

Does it matter where, and what order I apply my High Pass Filters?

Taking SSD, for example... Would you apply an insert in to the VST channels or would you print to disk and then add the HPF to the .wav file?

Would it make a difference if, say, my inserts order was Compressor > Reverb > HPF as opposed to having the HPF first?

I usually print to disk and apply the processing later when mixing. Use a high pass before everything else to clean out the unnecessary low information which will result in a much more defined low and and more headroom. Keep in mind that compressors can't distinguish frequencies and start compressing where the most energy in the signal is, which usually is the low end. Therefore it will make a difference if you use the hfp before the compressor or after.

Thanks. I've already noticed a huge difference, for the better! :)

When printing to track using SSD, a thought has occurred to me... If you're adding EQs, comps etc to the printed .wavs, wont the SSD/NRG Room .wavs sound a little different since it's effectively reverbing a source sound which you've since changed?

When printing to track using SSD, a thought has occurred to me... If you're adding EQs, comps etc to the printed .wavs, wont the SSD/NRG Room .wavs sound a little different since it's effectively reverbing a source sound which you've since changed?

even then, I end up processing my SSD samples with my other plugins, not the SSD ones built in, so i process the room totally seperately already. Oh well

Rhys Llewellyn said:

Yeah but it's the same in real life, you process your room mics differently than your close mics. When you sample replace real drums, the original drums will be (to some extent) present in the room mics. When you Eq, compress etc a snare track, it isn't affecting the snare coming from the overhead and room mics, that's how it always is

Yeah but it's the same in real life, you process your room mics differently than your close mics. When you sample replace real drums, the original drums will be (to some extent) present in the room mics. When you Eq, compress etc a snare track, it isn't affecting the snare coming from the overhead and room mics, that's how it always is

Of course! D'oh. Thanks man, it's only obvious now :)