Video tutorial: Mixing drums that slam!

jval

Jan 16, 2009
ontario
I just posted the first of 3 new free videos showing some of my mixing tips.

Here's what you'll learn in the first video:
-How to achieve a tight, punchy kick sound in your mixes
-How to EQ and compress the kick
-My drum buss technique
-My parallel compression technique for huge drums that slam on any speakers

Check it out at the link below!
HARDCOREMIXING.com

More coming over the next week... all feedback welcome.

I just posted the first of 3 new free videos showing some of my mixing tips.

Here's what you'll learn in the first video:
-How to achieve a tight, punchy kick sound in your mixes
-How to EQ and compress the kick
-My drum buss technique
-My parallel compression technique for huge drums that slam on any speakers

Check it out at the link below!
HARDCOREMIXING.com

More coming over the next week... all feedback welcome.

good stuff man, i was interested by the extreme EQ...i always shy away from extreme EQ just because of the "rules"...good to see that rules are meant to be broken

Seconding El Diablo. I'm guilty of the same thing.

Awesome video though dude, thanks for sharing. Auras are sick. When can we expect the next one?

-Click play
-Get pop up asking for my email
-Close window

Ehh so what, you can unsubscribe later.
And I'm sure the majority of the emails you'd be receiving are his next mixing videos.

But it's definitely worth it. You usually have to pay for something like this on CreativeLive, so to have an engineer like Jordan do this for free is pretty cool.

Great video man. Really cool to see your approach.

-Click play
-Get pop up asking for my email
-Close window

For the record I subscribed to his email stuff about 3 months ago and I think I've gotten 5 emails tops and all had relevant stuff I gave a shit about, like this video.

Thought it was great by the way, can't wait to see the rest.

thanks for the feedback guys, stoked on the response so far!

If you bought one of my drum samples in the past then you're on the list - and you should have got an email about this. If not, you should still be directed to the video after entering your email.

still
Capture.png

Maybe I'm just missing it on the website, but can I ask what your pricing structure is going to be like beyond the free trial?

edit: I'm also being redirected to the "you already signed up" page now that I registered last night.

Video 2 is now live. This one's about creating powerful bass and low-end.
The video covers:
-How to separate your bass into two tracks to process low-end and midrange independently
-What frequencies to focus on when EQing bass
-Compression & enhancement techniques

once again, check it out at this link -
www.hardcoremixing.com

(if you already signed up for the first video, just check your email for the direct link to video 2)

Yeah these videos are really cool and helpful, thanks a lot! EDIT: Now I'm also getting that "You're already subscibed" pop-up and I can't access the content, switching the browser didn't help.

Good vids, well done. Is this content aimed at those just starting out? If so, a few comments:

1. If I was processing a kick drum that heavily, I would ask myself "can I get there in fewer moves?" Seems like a long FX chain.

2. You're using samples to supplement, so I would work out what I like about the recorded kick and bring that forward with EQ, and then supplement it with samples. For example, the 15 dB at 8 kHz, would that not be better to sneak a clicky snare sample in underneath? I know there are many ways to achieve the end product, but back to "can I get there with fewer moves"

3. If the plan is to produce videos to be sold behind a paywall, it'd probably be more value to show how you recorded the kit and/or make the raw stems available to those who pay for those videos. There's nothing in that video that can't be learnt in other youtube videos.

4. There doesn't seem to be much critical "why am I doing this, what sound am I trying to achieve", more of "these are the plugin settings I used to get this kick drum to sound like this". Why do you cut out the mid-lows? Is it because it's conflicting with another track? Or because that's what you do every time?

I hope you take this as a constructive critique to improve future videos and not trying to be cynical and shoot down the effort.