Vintage 30's (dunno what happened on other post)

Jun 30, 2005
Devon, England
Just about to order a v30, is there any difference tone wise between the 16ohm and 8ohm version? the cab i have is loaded with 16ohm speakers, as im only ordering one (for micing purposes) would it mean i'd have to buy the 16ohm version to match the rest of the speakers? Also, how much difference is there between the v30 and the gt75? will the results be better for recording? cheers.

So i guess the other speakers are 16Ohm. Get a 16Ohm Vintage 30!
I used to play this cab aswell but now I'm playin a Framus Dragon (V30 loaded) 4x12 and like it much more! Dunno about recording! But I like V30s for metal the best so far!

Andy Sneap said:
yes you need 16 ohm, yes theres a huge difference
Andy, so you replace your 8 ohm V30s in the Mesa cabs with 16 ohm versions? Mesa seems to think that the 8 ohm version sounds better but I trust your judgement on sound a little more than theirs.

I think he means that " I " need the 16ohm version as all the other speakers in my cab are also 16ohm. Ive just ordered a 16ohm v30 so i hope the 8ohm version doesnt sound better! :(

I'm curious about this too: If I was building a cab from the ground up, which would be better to start with? 8 or 16 ohms? What would the tonal difference be?

-0z-

no i didnt mean theres a huge difference between 16 and 8 ohms i meant big difference between 30 and 75wts.

I would have thought as long as impedence matches, the tone should be similar, I've just gone with 8 ohm boogie cabs.

It would be hard to find out what's the differences coz an amps sounds different on 8 Ohm than it sounds on 16Ohm too...
You can easily AB between 16 and 4 Ohms with some Marshall cabs...

In your case get a 16Ohm coz the others are 16 too

Andy Sneap said:
no i didnt mean theres a huge difference between 16 and 8 ohms i meant big difference between 30 and 75wts.

I would have thought as long as impedence matches, the tone should be similar, I've just gone with 8 ohm boogie cabs.

Thanks for the clarification! :kickass:

-0z-

Could anyone give any hints on how 16ohms sonds different from 8omhs?

Moore/less crispy, open, thick, chruncy, tight etc?

Amp with the same cab sounded a bit smoother on 16Ohms and a bit harder at 4 Ohms (different input on the cab used).. and that's what I've read too!