Vintage 30's (dunno what happened on other post)

xmarcelx said:
Amp with the same cab sounded a bit smoother on 16Ohms and a bit harder at 4 Ohms (different input on the cab used).. and that's what I've read too!

Do you have any clips you could post?

just got two Celestion century vintage 30's today. Really light, wierd. I've stuck one in a Krank 1x12, sounds pretty good but I stick a mic on it in a bit before I make judgement.

From what I know about subwoofers in car stereos (use to install them back in the day - first job :)) is that the lower the ohm rating, the more low-end you can get out of the speaker(s). We use to wire subs in parallel to get the ohmage to drop by half, which would make them really bump like crazy. Running an 8ohm subwoofer at 4ohm would make a very fat low-end bump, and then running it at 2ohm would really start shaking everything around it, hehe.

I would think that the same principal applies to guitar speakers. I guess it depends on how much low end you want from your speakers. 16ohm will be a much tighter (only because of less low-end rumble) sound, and 8ohm will have a tad bit more balls to it. And of course 4ohm would (seemingly) have the most low-end response of all. But I'm just guessing on that, only using my knowledge from my previous hobby as a reference.

I have a Mesa Standard Recto 4x12 with 8ohm v30's and a Marshall 1960 with 16ohm v30's. Judging from my experience with them, The Mesa has a shitload more low-end and handles it much better. However, this is not exactly fair because 1) the Mesa is oversized, and 2) the construction methods between the two cabs is like apples and oranges. So, the only way to learn is by having two of the same exact cabs, one with an 8ohm set and one with a 16ohm set, but I'm not about to buy another Marshall or Mesa cab and a set of speakers to find this out, hehe. In any case, let us know how it sounds man!

~006

006 said:
From what I know about subwoofers in car stereos (use to install them back in the day - first job :)) is that the lower the ohm rating, the more low-end you can get out of the speaker(s). We use to wire subs in parallel to get the ohmage to drop by half, which would make them really bump like crazy. Running an 8ohm subwoofer at 4ohm would make a very fat low-end bump, and then running it at 2ohm would really start shaking everything around it, hehe.

I would think that the same principal applies to guitar speakers. I guess it depends on how much low end you want from your speakers. 16ohm will be a much tighter (only because of less low-end rumble) sound, and 8ohm will have a tad bit more balls to it. And of course 4ohm would (seemingly) have the most low-end response of all. But I'm just guessing on that, only using my knowledge from my previous hobby as a reference.

I have a Mesa Standard Recto 4x12 with 8ohm v30's and a Marshall 1960 with 16ohm v30's. Judging from my experience with them, The Mesa has a shitload more low-end and handles it much better. However, this is not exactly fair because 1) the Mesa is oversized, and 2) the construction methods between the two cabs is like apples and oranges. So, the only way to learn is by having two of the same exact cabs, one with an 8ohm set and one with a 16ohm set, but I'm not about to buy another Marshall or Mesa cab and a set of speakers to find this out, hehe. In any case, let us know how it sounds man!

~006

To me it kinda sounds like everybody actually likes 8ohms better then 16ohms speakers.....

So, why di'd Marshall change from 8ohms in their JCM800 cabs into 16ohm for JCM900/2000 cabs then? Just to make them 8ohms in paralell stereo??? Why not just adjust the outputs on their amps to 4ohms instad and keep the 8ohms configuration?

AND, cause 8ohm gives moore bottom, does it also give a "weaker" top then 16ohms?

Andy Sneap said:
i think if you are using line 6 or some other amp simulator , the difference with impedence isn't an issue
well, was just curious, because now i've learned in this thread that apparently different ohms do make a minor piss of difference. looks like 8 ohms is the way to go for a tad more balls.

since line 6 do model cabs, i'm just curious as to what sort of amp impendance they had in mind when they sat down together. assuming they know about the whole ohmage thing, which hopefully they do.

Nitronium Blood said:
well, was just curious, because now i've learned in this thread that apparently different ohms do make a minor piss of difference. looks like 8 ohms is the way to go for a tad more balls.

since line 6 do model cabs, i'm just curious as to what sort of amp impendance they had in mind when they sat down together. assuming they know about the whole ohmage thing, which hopefully they do.
I'm not sure if there is a difference with a SS poweramp at all!
With tube amps the difference is caused by the different parts of the output transformator used for different settings of the impendance switch (just a guess though)!

Andy Sneap said:
put a mic on it, you'll hear the difference

Thats the first thing i did, it sounds totally different, yes. It has a more direct and less "phasey" sound if that makes sense. But i feel its made things sound a little brittle. I'll keep trying though, maybe needs time to break in, which btw is never going to happen as the amp volume never goes above 9 o clock...

Familia><Publica said:
Thats the first thing i did, it sounds totally different, yes. It has a more direct and less "phasey" sound if that makes sense. But i feel its made things sound a little brittle. I'll keep trying though, maybe needs time to break in, which btw is never going to happen as the amp volume never goes above 9 o clock...

Are you talking about the 8ohm now?

8ohm = moore direct, less phasey and moore brittle?

I'm talking about the 16ohm v30, comparing it to the t75 16ohms that come standard in the 1960a. I would of bought an 8ohm v30 but i had to match the ohmage of the 75's. So, in my opinion, the v30 sounds more direct, less phasey, but the 75 sounds abit more brittle to my ears. Still experimenting though.

IMO Celestion Classic Lead kills both GT75 and V30...moore chainsaw'ish to my ears....

Familia><Publica said:
It has a more direct and less &quot;phasey&quot; sound if that makes sense.
That's the way I hear it too!
I'll keep trying though, maybe needs time to break in, which btw is never going to happen as the amp volume never goes above 9 o clock...
put a cd player in front of your amp (with bassy music) and let it play for 24 hours
that should help breaking the speaker in

I've heard of that technique before...I think some company that makes speakers does that to break them in for you ahead of time. If I remember correctly anyway. It does work though, that's a fact. :)

~006

It's very interesting the fact that different inpedance in the same speaker made different bass response.
I'm agree with 006, infact with the cab at 16 ohm you get less bass response but tighter...
At the moment I'm in love with my std Marshall 1960a with the 75, I think the 75 do the best when playng live, and sincerly I like the 75 also in recording....
Today I try to set the impedence of the cab at 4 ohm in mono and I'm courious to hear the differences...