vintage

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
often we focus on the best new gear. but some of the best metal (especially doom and sludge) these days is done with that vintage sound. what gear do they use?

sunn is the most obvious name. so i'll start with them
~gR~

hmmmm. Well im not to familiar with Sunn's equipment, but alot of Doom/Sludge bands that i've seen, and the guys I played with in Tokyo, Play a simple Marshall through a SG setup. Ive also seen a couple of Octaver's and one Blue box in a Doom setup. Other than that, I dont really know bro. Not my main genre.

many bands are also using Orange amps to achieve a vintage sound

edit: personally i think that the best way to achieve vintage sound is to buy vintage gear, emulating it kinda gay imo. and before anybody pops in and says, "but it's hard to get and expensive when you find it". it's honestly not, you just need to be in the right place, talk to the right people, and have a tad bit of luck.

Spite Extreme Wing's latest album and Enslaved past two have the kinda tone I like. Loadsa people seem to hate on them for not being 'metal' enough/too thin.

The Orange or the Marshall give great vintage tones. One of those and then something like a Les Paul or an SG will give the classic sound. I really don't think it's necessary to shell out for old stuff.

many bands are also using Orange amps to achieve a vintage sound

A lot of modern punk & indie rock bands are using Orange amps, but I could imagine a "Sword" style band using them as well.

I do know that Sunn O))) use Sunn amps, if that's who you were talking about. Definitely nothing vintage about their tone. I believe there are some vintage guys out there who like these amps, but I don't quite have my head around them ATM...