Vinyl Appreciation Thread

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
Well, I FINALLY got a turntable today, and I'm christening it with 'Brave Murder Day'! I've had a stack of metal records for years now, but I never got to play them until now. Next maybe I'll go for 'Saw You Drown' or 'Jhva Elohim Meth'... or maybe Blind Guardian's 'Follow the Blind' or Opeth's 'Orchid'. Not sure. I've got some old Bathory records, too, and a Venom/Morbid Angel split, and Agalloch's 'The Grey'... also some old Jethro Tull, a Uriah Heep album, a Camel album... well, a bunch of stuff. (Sorry, I'm bragging, even though I know some people here could put this shit to shame.)

Anyway, 'Brave' sounds fucking great! I can't help thinking this is how it was meant to sound. It's not quite as 'sharp' as a CD - sounds slightly more 'decayed' (in a good way), and it fits the mood perfectly. I'm pretty fucking excited, I must say! \m/

Who's with me?!

Nothing like a good LP. I've got some old Maiden, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Kreator, Candlemass, Sunn O))), and Slayer, among others. On the non metal front I have stuff like Genesis, The Prodigy, and a few more I can't remember at the moment. :kickass:

And you just now got a record player?!?!?! No disrespect, but I hate when people just collect vinyl or just show it off...they are meant to be played. I'm a addict...and it's a damn awesome addiction. Vinyl destroys cds and all that digital itunes shit. Plus who doesn't want a bigger picture of the artwork? And all the special editions that are coming out in recent years...it's really cool for all the vinyl maniacs out there...though I have nothing bad to say about Peaceville's handling of Katatonia's recent vinyl editions...very beautiful.

I've been collecting now for 2 years or so but haven't got that many. I don't have a turntable either as i haven't been able to afford one or i've just forgotten. But yes, vinyl is the shiz nizz!

And you just now got a record player?!?!?! No disrespect, but I hate when people just collect vinyl or just show it off...they are meant to be played. I'm a addict...and it's a damn awesome addiction. Vinyl destroys cds and all that digital itunes shit. Plus who doesn't want a bigger picture of the artwork? And all the special editions that are coming out in recent years...it's really cool for all the vinyl maniacs out there...though I have nothing bad to say about Peaceville's handling of Katatonia's recent vinyl editions...very beautiful.

Sorry dude, but I'm afraid that's the way of it. I originally just intended to collect 'em and not play 'em, until last week, when I got a stack of Jethro Tull/Uriah Heep/Camel records that I didn't also own on CD, and I decided that the time had come: The time to buy a turntable. And so far, I haven't even listened to those albums yet! I've listened to 'Brave Murder Day', 'Saw You Drown', 'Orchid', and currently 'Follow the Blind'. Thinking 'Ravendusk in My Heart' next... not sure. They do destroy, though. I have an affinity for 'older' things anyway, so I suppose it was only a matter of time. Also only a matter of time until I start looking for 8-tracks. =P

Yeah, I still use my tape player...mostly for demo listening purposes...and for old school death metal it sounds fucking great.

I collect vinyl mostly for collecting, they are rarely played. I prefer CD's or mp3 purely for practical reasons. Pretty much all vinyl I have, I also have on CD, except for the 7-inches.

My vinyl player is nothing special, I got it for free from a colleague who bought it new and never used it for like 12 years or something. I actually should have it looked at to see if the needle is still good etc. I don't wanna play my records on it and be destroyed by it.

I have never ever listened a single vinyl in my life due to my young age (17) but does it really give a better atmosphere or something like that when listening for some emotional and old stuff, like brave murder day for example?

Ebay...Vinyl is getting ridiculously popular and plants are charging a lot nowadays to make them. Unless you're looking for some Punk/Crust lps...then prepare to pay at least 14-20$ a vinyl.

Ebay...Vinyl is getting ridiculously popular and plants are charging a lot nowadays to make them. Unless you're looking for some Punk/Crust lps...then prepare to pay at least 14-20$ a vinyl.

For the 2 years that i have been buying vinyl i have used eBay mainly simply because i can pick up rarities from the States for next to nothing due to the dollar being so weak against the euro.