Visual Song Structures

SubjectRuin

New Metal Member
Sep 22, 2005
A while back I experimented with a way to represent music visually, as opposed to traditional music notation. For my recent concept album project, I tried to re-work this idea into a more usable form and came up with some interesting structures. They're basically schematics that outline the song structure - not the music itself, but the different sections and how they interact. I ended up never using them to record actual songs, but the act of creating them got the ball rolling.

It was more an experiment than anything, but maybe you'll find them interesting: http://www.subjectruin.net/bizarrities/pages/031.htm

You can download the actual music that was inspired by these diagrams at my website: http://www.subjectruin.net

Tell me what you think of these, I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience with this kind of idea.

the idea is quite cool and very interesting, but it does seem you got carried away with the pen/ink artistic aspect rather than trying to accurately represent music, or that could just be my interpretation.

You're right, I definitely got carried away with the visual/artistic aspect of the thing, but it was really designed more for inspiration and general ideas rather than strict musical notation.

It's an amazing idea. I really can't think of any way to actually describe it other than an amazing concept.

I thought of something. If you ever wanted to sound like Spiral Architect, you could just draw a Square Block trying to fit into a Circular hole. I know it's a seroius thing, but I just had to get that off of my chest.

That was quite offensive to me Ptah... J/K that was actually pretty funny... :lol: But Spiral Architect actually make a whole lot more sense if you really stop and try to comprehend what they're doing rather than just writing them off as uncontrolled insanity... :D

Tried it, and it just doesn't work. No matter what, they always generate in my head, the picture of a square block trying to fit into a circular hole.

IT DOESN'T FIT!!!

thats sweet man, you should draw one up and we should all write our own interperatations of it for a bit of fun, im always bored and have nothign better to do!