Vital Remains -- Dechristianize

May 24, 2003
Texas
Visit site
I'm sure a review on this has been done before...but hell, I might as well put my own up, and get some opinions on it. Let me know what you think.

Vital Remains -- Dechristianize

This is the newest album by Vital Remains, being someone who wasn’t into them in the past (hell, I hadn’t even heard of them) and not having heard anything from their back catalogue, I was in for a surprise when I heard this CD. I’d been hearing it hyped up as a great CD for a few months, so I ordered it. It came in a few days ago, and I’ve been listening to it quite often since, to let it sink it so I can properly review it. Initially, the first listen exposed me to the CD, and I thought it was great. I still do, to be honest, but now it seems better.

This CD, if it can past the test of time, and repeated listens, will definitely be going on my top 10 CD’s list, which is a hard place to reach, and it‘s already on my top 10 of the year list, I’ll tell you why now. The album is quite simply, great, it’s straight-ahead death metal, injected with melody, and from song to song, one thing remains consistent: Quality. From start to finish, this CD is quality, the main flaw may be the intro “Let The Killing Begin” which I really believe sets the feel for the whole album, but some may see it as a waste of space. One other small flaw is the lyrics, they are nothing extraordinary, just standard death metal fare, however, they are sure to make anyone who holds a grudge against Christianity, or religion in general, happy, personally I see no problem with them, being open-minded, but they are nothing stellar. Glen Benton is on vocals on this CD, and his vocals are good and strong, he remains consistent throughout the whole album, he uses two voices, his deep-throated growl, and a higher pitched shriek, he uses this shriek more often than usual so Deicide fans are in for a surprise. The song writing is also consistent throughout the whole album, everything comes out sounding great, and not really simple, either. Tony Lazaro does his job on guitars well, creating some heavy riffs, beautiful melodies, and damn good solos. One thing that sticks out is the drumming, Dave Suzuki plays bass, drums, and lead guitar on this album, and his main strength is definitely drumming. Although he does everything well, he is a very good drummer, the sound on some of the drums is a bit too thin at times, but aside from that, it‘s very good, he has no trouble keeping pace at all it seems, he‘s just a good drummer in general. Something interesting, that is definitely a plus is the length of this album, some of the songs have an “epic” feel to them due to length, and the only song under 5 minutes long is the intro. The rest of the songs range from 5:44 (4. Devoured Elysium) to 10 minutes (9. Entwined by Vengeance), and average at about 6 to 7 minutes per song. The whole album totals up to sixty minutes and forty two seconds, an amazingly long time for a death metal album, and it doesn‘t feel strained, and full of filler material, because of the variations within songs it works. Another good thing is the production, it’s been done very well, some people seem to think the guitars are mixed a bit too low so you can’t hear them well under Glen Benton’s voice, but I hear them just fine when he is growling out his lines on the album, it’s a solid production in general, the drums are there in the mid-ground where they are easily audible unlike some albums where they’re in the background, but they don’t overpower the guitars or vocals like on some albums, they‘re right where they should be. It’s quite simply a solid production job, like I said. I’m going to try to finish this up now, overall the whole CD is solid, everything about it works well. I highly recommend this CD to fans of death metal, who also like some melody in the mix, or just love death metal, period. This should set the bar for newer death metal albums coming out in the future. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 on a scale of one to five, and on a scale of one to ten, I give it a 9.0 simply because although it’s great, no album is perfect.​

I agree for the most part. But shrieks? Hardly. Also, I found the drumming a little to prominent in the mix.

As much as I initially enjoyed the album I find myself wishing songs would hurry along to the melodic parts. They're just fantastic.

Oh, and isn't that riffing at about 3:30 on track 4 fucking crushing? Love it.

Hmm...I guess "screams" would have been a better term? I'm not sure what you'd call it when he hits the relatively high notes, but yeah, I guess they're not high-pitched enough to be called shrieks. As for the melodic parts, they are fucking beautiful, but they fit in well where they are at, I think, so I never wish they'd fast-foward to them. And the drums didn't seem too prominent to me, I guess because I'm use to hearing them in the background and not really being able to pay too much attention to them. and yes, that is pretty damn good riffing.

Awesome record ... my only complaint with it is that Bentons singing does not let the songs breathe. There are way too much lyrics on most songs. Seems like he is always singing ...

But the record crucshes nonetheless.

BloodStainedWalls said:
BY FAR the best album of the year so far. Also, is definitely on my top 10 death metal albums of all time.

If you dont own this album......get it now.

Heh, this album isn't just on my top 10 death metal albums of all time list. It's on my top 10 albums of all time list, period. Not just death metal.:D

i think i read your review on amazon.com. i'm actually listening to it right now.
when my friend informed me that glen benton was doing vocals on the new vital remains album (a band i hadn't heard), i assumed the worst. deicide are okay i guess, but how long can a band go on with these same immature vocals. don't get me wrong, i hate christ as much as the next person, but it gets boring after a while, especially if your band isn't great.
luckily benton didn't write any of the lyrics (deicide have a new album coming out and i hope benton can come up with some better shit). so my friend lent me the album and besides the first track (the intro, which was kinda funny, adn i think coulda been done without), i loved the album. it's just pure heaviness with beautiful guitar melody that i didn't even expect. it blew me away.

oh yeah, i forgot some shit.
upon looking at the cd, i frowned at all the satanic imagery. i mean really, the three guys crucified? i think its laughable. especially because benton is fat (anyone else noticed that the four skinny guys from Deicide s/t are now four morbidly obese landmonsters? maybe hating christ has its drawbacks lol) didn't benton also predict his death by crucifixion at age 33?
yeah but anyway, this cd is amazing, i recommend anyone check it out, you won't regret it.

ChaosDeathcult said:
oh yeah, i forgot some shit.
upon looking at the cd, i frowned at all the satanic imagery. i mean really, the three guys crucified? i think its laughable. especially because benton is fat (anyone else noticed that the four skinny guys from Deicide s/t are now four morbidly obese landmonsters? maybe hating christ has its drawbacks lol) didn't benton also predict his death by crucifixion at age 33?
yeah but anyway, this cd is amazing, i recommend anyone check it out, you won't regret it.

First, yeah you saw my review at Amazon.com, I made the review for a site but the site isn't up yet so I decided to get the review out for feedback by putting it up here and at amazon. As for the Satanic imagery, eh, it's no big deal to me, when you get into death metal you get use to it, or I did at least. Hey, as long as the music is good, it's fine with me, as long as it's not anything too sick. And for me the music here is :OMG: good.

ChaosDeathcult said:
but how long can a band go on with these same immature vocals. don't get me wrong, i hate christ as much as the next person, but it gets boring after a while, especially if your band isn't great.

Why do you hate Christ?

Hmmm, well I bought it.....and i'm quite disappointed. I downloaded the title track a couple weeks ago and I was completely blown away by it. It's quite possibly becoming one of my favourite ever metal tracks.......so I was very annoyed when, upon listening to the whole album, I find-out that the title track is the only track with a decent, mood-altering melody!!!! SHIT! I was expecting most of the album to have godly, memorable leads like dechristianize by the way everyone's been blabbing about it!!!

Not to take away from it; it's a damn good album, nice and heavy, f'kin fast, benton's best ever vocals and a precise, treble heavy drum production that I like....but...pfffffft, the title track is the only one that really interests me. :erk:

definately overhyped in my view.