Viva Emptiness vs. TGCD

Which is the superior?

• Total voters
Ugh, TGCD by FAR!! I love all of Katatonia's albums including the old death doom stuff more than anything, but Viva didn't do much for me at all. When I first got TGCD I wasn't that impressed...but god damn, I think I've listened to that album 10,000 times now (not kidding lol) and it still doesn't get old. I LOVE it, it was a grower album for sure.

Viva, meh. I like Omerta but that's about it.

Went with TGCD but the choice was very hard, I almost didn't even vote! On the one hand, VE contains the 3 song swing of Evidence (classic modern Katatonia with an incredible ending), Omerta (a great folk song), and Inside The City Of Glass (A flat out crushing doom classic). All perfect songs and perhaps the most diverse 3 song stretch on any Katatonia album ever, not to mention A Premonition, Wealth, Walking By A Wire, Sleeper, etc. Really a ton of good songs and not much filler, I remember it taking me a while to get the album after first buying it though. With TGCD, there was also an incredible run from Rusted-Increase-July-In The White towards the end of the LP (and I like The Itch and Journey Through Pressure almost as much), and then you have Deliberation, Soil's Song, and My Twin. The 2 albums have quite different sounds/productions, but in terms of the quality of the songs it is so hard to choose. Ask me tomorrow and I might pick VE, but I certainly like both of these LP's a a bit more than NITND.

I love both albums but Viva gets the vote from me. TGCD was the album that got me into Katatonia, but Viva just has more of my favorite songs on it. I think Viva was where the band really starting coming into their own. The great cold distance though was a great written album which I will always love.