Viva Emptiness vs. TGCD

Which is the superior?

• Total voters

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
One thing I'll never understand was the fan reaction to both of these albums upon release. LFDGD was practically an impossible act to follow, but Viva did the most admirable job possible. Unfortunately the fan reaction was not so positive. Perhaps it was the transition into a heavier sound that was bound to make it tough to find acceptance. Thing is, if LFDGD was the pinnacle of their songwriting prowess then VE is certainly not far behind. Even though it's harder hitting it still retained their big hook sensibilities. Then TGCD was released and lauded by the critics and fans alike. Sure it was the slickest production yet, but it also lost all of the soul that made the band so great (imo at least). So now it's time to settle this once and for all ...

Viva Emptiness, along with Last Fair Deal Gone Down are the best Katatonia albums IMO.

i voted TGCD, only for nostalgia (my intro album)

otherwise i find them both to be completely solid albums, excellent for when im in the mood for some katatonia

Viva Emptiness. It has a somewhat harsher and noisier sound and I think that creates an oppressive atmosphere. The lyrics are a little suspect but that has never hurt the album for me. The dynamics are also much smoother and less predictable than those in TGCD where it often times was a jarring transition from soft to loud.

I fully agree with LFDGD being the bes katatonia album.

Viva for me; the album is very dark and deliciously bitter, plus Jonas says "Fuck" in a couple of songs

ps. does sleeper not contain the most impressive drum performance of any katatonia song?

ps. does sleeper not contain the most impressive drum performance of any katatonia song?
Well there's a lot more to drumming than busy fills. Burn the Remembrance is without a doubt the greatest percussive (there's additional percussion tracks in Sleeper too btw) performance as a whole. The outro is Godly! :worship:

sleeper is definetly the bets modern katatonia song to disturb more gentle minded folk.

The marching bass/guitar part, the almost grinding chorus.. yeah. :)