vocal 2 mic setup.

Via Noctis

Jun 23, 2007
Wisconsin
200566_10150164921205991_11960700990_8718392_2005891_n.jpg

I gotta a band coming into the studio and the vocalist requested this setup. I usually just use one mic and layer it. Does anyone have information on this setup? I am mainly wondering about processing and phase. Any help would be great.

Are both of those mics condensors? Can't really tell. As far as phase goes, just go with the 3:1 rule, you should be fine.
The vertical mic (the silver one) is a Brauner, the model is hard to tell. Either a Phantom, a Phantera or the Brauner Valvet. Either way, it's a condensor mic.
The horizontal microphone is a Shure SM7b, which is dynamic.

Is there a particular reason the vocalist has requested this setup? Or is it just because that guy's his favourite vocalist and he wants to copy him? Musicians can often have funny ideas on how their recording should be carried out despite the fact that they're paying for your experience and based on the result you've gotten in the past with your techniques.

It's not uncommon to record using 2 vocal mic's (say one bright and one dark) and picking which one works better come mix time. In my experience though using both at the same time normally gives a bit of phasiness.

I guess one could be getting used for cleans and one for screams. Though I would have thought it would be easier to record them seperately.

Anyway, that all being said. Your best bet is to align the capsules the best you can and try to get the vocalist to sing as on axis to both mic's as possible. To be honest in that pic the guy is clearly off axis from the SM7 and WAY off axis from the condenser on the top. I'd bring down both of those mic's until either the SM7 is directly in front of his mouth (so it's on axis and the condenser is a bit off axis) Or his mouth is lined up with the gap inbetween the mics (so they're both ever so slightly off axis)

Who's to say both mics were even used? Many times they are setup and the best is picked at mixing.

Is there a particular reason the vocalist has requested this setup? Or is it just because that guy's his favourite vocalist and he wants to copy him? Musicians can often have funny ideas on how their recording should be carried out despite the fact that they're paying for your experience and based on the result you've gotten in the past with your techniques.

My guess is that he was looking into bands he likes and that he sounds similar to. They are a really good band, there first EP was recorded at a 'rock' studio, so I am sure you can imagine how it sounded. I think they are trying to learn as much as they can about the process so it this one doesn't sound like crap. :loco:

I guess one could be getting used for cleans and one for screams. Though I would have thought it would be easier to record them seperately.

My first reaction when I saw the picture was that they were not being used both at the same time. After all an sm7 is a really popular mic for vocals all my itself. I just thought maybe there was a technique I have not read about.
I think trying to align the capsules would be a loosing battle unless the vocalist stood perfectly still. :lol:
The picture is from Decapitated studio diaries if that helps any.
thanks for your replies everyone.

I did before when I didn't have a nice condensor. I'd pair my t bone ribbon mic which was really warm sounding with either a 57 or an SDC for the clarity. Set it up so that the ribbon and the diaphragm of the mics were lined up and the phasing worked pretty well.

Worked well on some stuff, sounded like crap on some singers. Sometimes I'd only use one of the mics, other times both. Stopped doing it once I got a half decent LDC to use on vocals.

just put up 2 mics, only use one and send it to a bus and put it right next to the vocal channel so it looks like it's 2 channels

Could be that his voice style changes dramatically when changing between clean and screamed so they prefer one mic on the clean vocals and another one for the screams.

I think you guys are making this too complicated. Just set up two mics with the capsules aligned and hit record. It's unlikely you'll end up mixing them but you'll have two choices.
FWIW, every time I've every done this I've picked one in the first ten minutes but just left them both up (only recording one).