Vocal mics?

May 12, 2005
Sweden
www.egonaut.se
Being a guitar/drum freak I feel that I haven't been paying attention about vocal microphones, so my question to all of you is; what reasonable priced mic should i buy? To tube or not to tube seems the question.

Ive been doing some research and a "Studio Projects TB1" seem pretty good from both the sound and price aspects, is that a good chice?

I had to buy a budget vocal, I would avoid tubes mics. Rode NT2000 maybe.
I had pretty bad experiences with studio projects (b3 & TB1). Both seemed to have that brittle chinese sound.

The C1 is great. Price doesn't always mean quality. I was reviewed in Recording Magazine last august, and they went on and on about how great the vocals sounded.... I didn't tell them it was the lowly C1: sometimes reviewers listen with thier wallets instead of thier ears.

-0z-

Frank'nfurter said:
AKG Solidtube:headbang:

This is by far the WORST "pro" microphone I have ever tried. Dull, muddy, horrible. I tried it on a lot of things and the only time it sort of worked was for a female singer who had a rather thin voice.

Surely looks "impressive". But looks can be deceiving.

has anyone found any use on this mic? I'd like to know.

Gomez said:
This is by far the WORST "pro" microphone I have ever tried. Dull, muddy, horrible. I tried it on a lot of things and the only time it sort of worked was for a female singer who had a rather thin voice.

Ive got one, havent used it in a while, no real reason why. I have worked on projects before where its been used for all sorts of instruments. Still got my on the the SE Gemini though

elmuchoescadawg said:
Ive got one, havent used it in a while, no real reason why. I have worked on projects before where its been used for all sorts of instruments. Still got my on the the SE Gemini though

Didn't like the Gemini that much either. Hyped top and bottom. And they were going through really good pre's. I was a bit dissapointed after all the hype these mics have had in the media.

They sound better to me than they solid tube - yes.

I think for brutal vocals valve mics are not the answer. I think you'll be better off with a dynamic mic. SM7, 441... you name it.

Gomez said:

Then you MUST have a broken unit. Our Solidtube works perfect. Crystal clear sound. Take your unit to a pro tech, there must be someting wrong with it.

Frank'nfurter said:
Then you MUST have a broken unit. Our Solidtube works perfect. Crystal clear sound. Take your unit to a pro tech, there must be someting wrong with it.

I've tried 2!

Maybe they need new valves or something, eventhough I'm pretty sure both of them were in fine condition. But also, I have not heard good things about this mic in general.

I've used the Solid Tube as well, through a real neve 1073... I thought it was OK, but not spectacular. We liked the 414 a good deal better on that vocalist.

For growls... I like a dynamic mic, I've gotten good results from an SM-57. For singing, I like my 147.

I've had excellent experiences with the SolidTube, but I do know that it's very room dependent. Michael Wagener has given some very helpful tips about it on Gearslutz, if you search for a second . . .

As far as my favorite vocal mics are concerned, for death/black screams and more aggressive vocals, the SM7 is great, as are the Neumann U67 and U87's. The AKG 414 is pretty good too, I believe that's what was used on Nasum's Helvete. For clean vocals, my favorite is definitely the Brauner VM1, but the U67 or U87 works amazingly well too(67 moreso than 87).

On a budget, I'd definitely recommend the SM7. Sooooo flexible, durable, cheap, and takes processing very well.