Vocal preamp for aggressive vox....suggestions?

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, startin to think about my next gear purchase, a better vocal preamp might be in order. Currently using just my FireFace 400 pres with my SM7 which I love, so any suggestions for something that would compliment that mic? Looking between $1000 - $2000 range, or more if its worth it.

I´m saving for one of these.
40MP.jpg

Manley Mono Mic Pre

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $1.600

If you have the cash get an API A2D. If you really only want a single channel then I would probably get the great river. I love mine. Honeslty I would stay away from grace and the like b/c (even though they are very good) they are very clean and don't bring much to the table sonically.

I recently bought the Empirical Labs Mike-E channel strip and its a really amazing unit. Great pre (with plenty of gain... I'm guessing you'll be using an SM7 for vocals), compressor based on the distressor and saturation modelled on the fatso.

Great River is also amazing.

If you have the cash get an API A2D. If you really only want a single channel then I would probably get the great river. I love mine. Honeslty I would stay away from grace and the like b/c (even though they are very good) they are very clean and don't bring much to the table sonically.

+ 1 for the API, thats a unit which will be with you for life. Better to go for that high end gear instead of that middle-range stuff, if you have the money for it.

If it's mostly for vocals i don't recommend the API, i have a API A2D and it's a great all-round but for vocals i run it along side a GAP PRE73 and everyone prefered the "fatness" and warmth of the PRE73.
If money is not a problem and it's mainly for vocals i would go for the Great River also.

Generally I always hear people recommend more Neve based things for vocals and API based things for drums and guitar. I never paid much attention at the studio I once worked at where we had both available except all the times I heard API for drums it fucking slayed.

Generally I always hear people recommend more Neve based things for vocals and API based things for drums and guitar. I never paid much attention at the studio I once worked at where we had both available except all the times I heard API for drums it fucking slayed.

Yeah, this is true, but the API can sound great on vocals too. Just because you're recording vocals doesn't mean you need "fat" and "warm"... APIs are great quality pres that sound good on a ton of sources... They're typically most used on drums and guitar, but they can be used on anything...

I'd recommend picking up an API Lunchbox and starting with an Avedis MA5 and an API 512c. That should be close to 2 stacks, and you'll have some variety and room for expansion.

Yeah, this is true, but the API can sound great on vocals too. Just because you're recording vocals doesn't mean you need "fat" and "warm"... APIs are great quality pres that sound good on a ton of sources... They're typically most used on drums and guitar, but they can be used on anything...

Oh I didn't mean to say API can't be used for vocals, not at all. I absolutely love API, I'm sure it's perfectly fine for vocals. Really just putting out a general tidbit I often read or hear about the two and their uses. You can't go wrong with either of them, IMO. If it sounds good, it is good - of course.