Vocal Reverbs

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey all
i did a search on this but not much specific stuff came up.

Im currious to what kind of vocal reverbs most metal producers/engineers use. i know most of the time the vocals are very dry and up front in this genre, but as for more melodic stuff (Killswtich-esque stuff), what kinda of reverbs are used?

i seem to be recording alot of this stuff latley and im struggling to find a decent reverb, let alone some decent ballpark parameters. how do you try and make you reverbs sit in this kind of music? what do you know about BIG producers and their vocal reverbs? also, does andy 'do' reverb? :D

thanks!

i often use plate reverbs for vocals, quite short cause i don't like verbs at all - but without them, there's not enough depth!

i tend to use more delays than verbs and i think routing is a big point when it comes to vocals. - like:

delay in verbs or sometimes (more as an effect) verbs in delay.

to glue the dry vocals with the verb and effects i have a buscompressor on my main vocalbus, where all other vocalbusses(groups) end.

automating the vocals and the verb is a must for me for special accents on certain parts - there are just a few parts in a song, where you really want to hear a verb!too much verb is so ...:puke:

i don't have 'pro' tips for you, just to use the best reverb you can get for vocals.

best,

alex

I also use plate verbs and keep them pretty short and dry. For sweeping chorus vox (singing) I still will only run about 10-15% wet and I usually hover around 2 sec. decay mark for those big singing parts in choruses.

For the screamy stuff, I run about 5-7% wet with ~1 sec of decay and no pre-delay.

I'm not a pro by any means, though, so YMMV.