Vocal Riding options for Reaper users?

I don't read the link but you can install waves plugins also as vst2. It would be new to me that they are vst3 only now.

Yeah, I use some of the Waves stuff in Reaper. Didn't even think about VST3 incompatibility. I guess OP just as I myself was in doubts over buying Bass Rider that's on sale now. Reaper automation kinda does the trick, but 1 db accuracy doesn't feel smooth enough.

In addition to Reaper's parameter modulation functionality, you can check out HoRNet AutoGain Pro. I have it and it's a pretty cool vocal rider/bass rider type plug that happens to be on sale for 11 euros at the moment, with a free demo on the developer's site.

In addition to Reaper's parameter modulation functionality, you can check out HoRNet AutoGain Pro. I have it and it's a pretty cool vocal rider/bass rider type plug that happens to be on sale for 11 euros at the moment, with a free demo on the developer's site.

Thanks dude, I'll check it out. How do you generally set it up, as in what signal does it use as the reference level? Do you do a mixdown of all tracks except the vocals, and then link the vocal track to the rest of the track as the reference?

Thanks dude, I'll check it out. How do you generally set it up, as in what signal does it use as the reference level? Do you do a mixdown of all tracks except the vocals, and then link the vocal track to the rest of the track as the reference?

I have used Hornet Auto Gain before and if I recall correctly, you sidechain your mix to it and it works off that.

I use this too. As with Bass Rider, manual automation with JS:Volume is needed, but only in a few spots.

Hornet AGP for 11 euro seems like a great deal. I'm trying to make the demo work, but can't. I have no idea what I'm doing, twisting knobs doesn't do anything, there's some noise added and most of the time it clips like hell. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial?

Hornet AGP for 11 euro seems like a great deal. I'm trying to make the demo work, but can't. I have no idea what I'm doing, twisting knobs doesn't do anything, there's some noise added and most of the time it clips like hell. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial?

Try to watch the video on the Hornet site. How to use autogain with reaper...

Like bryan_kilco said, put Autogain on your vocal track and then side chain the overall mix into it as the reference track. You can also create a track with pink noise and use that as the reference track side chained into Autogain if you want to really squash the signal.

And like HOFX, I don't rely on Autogain for all level control on the track. I'll typically use Autogain first, followed by an 1176 style compressor, and then an LA2A style compressor, each helping to even out the dynamics. (Note that the compressors are used for tone control purposes as well as dynamics control purposes, so controlling the dynamics going into them helps you control how their tone/mojo/whatever is applied to the track). After that, I'll ride the automation or edit the waveform for any additional level control required on the track.

The traditional way is to go through and do it manually with automation, level the bits you want levelling, boosting other bits and hiding other stuff you don't want. Those rider plugins are making a guess at doing that, I think they are very good but there are still definitely pro's out there who prefer doing it manually for full control.

I use waves riders with no problem, what is the problem with them, don't they work for you ? They are not perfect but they are cool to level out a little bit the volume before even hitting any compressor.

That trick with Reaper automation only gives you control with 1 db increments though.

There's a JS plugin in REAPER called "vlolume/pan" which works in 0.1 dB increments. Alternatively, it's really easy to open up the JS plugin editor and edit the JS:volume plugin to work in 0.1 dB increments. I've been using the JS:volume/pan plugin and have been happy with the results. The trick is to set the "strength" on the PM very low (like around 5-10 %). Can't really compare it to the Waves or Hornet options plugins since I haven't used them.

Before discovering Reaper's PM, I used that free BluCat plugin that someone mentioned earlier. It writes the automation in the wrong direction initially, but there's an action in Reaper to invert all selected envelope points, so I would just select them all and flip them using that. The PM method is way simpler, though.

Also, if anyone wants to adjust in smaller increments in Reaper, I'm pretty sure all you need to do is hold CTRL + click......I'd assume it'd be CMD for OSX users. Not exactly sure if this works inside plugins though or if it's just a host feature.