Vocal Suggestions

Mar 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
After doing a bit of testing with my voice and forming opinions I decided to start a Melo-Death band with the same name as my forum profile doing vocals. Vocals consist of deep growling and the standard screaming style. As I've been going on my voice has gotten a lot easier to control and I've learned how to do better sounding vocals while being less stressful on my voice. However I'm still seeking some suggestions, I've been a little sick lately and that's been making my voice a lot harder to use without feeling some serious pain. Basically what I really want to know is how some of you guys keep your voices fresh, especially in extreme situations such as when congested or with a soar throat. I've also been losing my voice a little bit after some of the more extreme practices, though I'm still able to hold my own when actually singing.

I'm also seeking some tips on how to get started on Black Metal vocals. I usually am able to discover this stuff on my own but any help given is definately appreciated.

although for singing, they say don't drink milk, but i find that anything like milk that coats your throat makes my growls sound more warm. I drink stuff like Dr. Pepper, cuz that is what i like, but i find Barq's is not to bad. I would say from my experience, death metal vocals are more low chest vibrations, whereas blackmetal vocals are more to the back of the throat, which irritates my throat if it isn't coated.

Alcohol, it will dry your throat out. Camille(sp?) tea is good for 2 reasons, it warms up your throat, and it sooths it, that is esp for singers.

But these are some suggestions, experiment and see what you can get...