Small vocal question

Feanor IV

Jan 22, 2002
Athens, Greece
www.metal-realm.com
Hello,

I've been taking vocal lessons for over a year now and can go up to a high C or sth. However, I have the very bad feeling that I only use chest voice to do this and it obviously hurts my chords. The question is: is it possible to go up there in chest voice? Cause if it's not then I'm obviously doing it in head voice..........

let me know :) thanks in advance,

Menelaos

Feanor IV, which C of the keyboard do you reach?

musrange.gif

It is more clear here: http://music.theory.home.att.net/insrange.htm

Well, I took a look on that page, and what I figured out is: talking on guitar (in normal tuning), the first E (6th string) is E3. Then the 4th string's 2nd fret must be E4, the open first string must be E5 and the 12th fret of the same string will consequently be E6.

My range begins from G3 (3rd fret of the 6th string) and ends at B or C of the first string, between the E5 and E6. I suppose this must be called C6. After that, I can still go as far as G or Ab (15th/16th fret), but I don't have the same vocal position (obviously).

So, just to make sure: we begin from the 6th string and end in the end of the first string. I have given my whole vocal range in between [] and have added a | where I experience this inability to go onward, in the same position.

[G A B C D E F
G A B C D E F
G A B C|D E F
G] A B C D E F

By the way, let me point out that what feels most comfortable is doing the change which I can postpone until C6 in A6, which means G3-->G5 or A6 and then A6-->G6 at the new position.

:)

From G3 to C6, then you have almost 3 octaves of vocal range, and you are a countertenor or alto male. The male voices: bass, baritone, tenor and countertenor or alto. All of them can do some equal notes: from G3 to C4.
As you belong to the highest pitched male voice, your chest cavity can project notes that I only can do with my head cavity, as I am a baritone.

So, you think I could be going up to that B or C (7th/8th fret of the first string in a standard tuned guitarboard) in chest voice? What I'm trying to understand is if the highest note I can reach is this C, or maybe I can go higher if this is only my chest voice.........

And a question I had asked again in the past, but I don't think anyone answered. What's the highest notes high-pitched singers can produce EXCLUDING falsetto? I mean, only in chest or head voice. Take for example (my typical example ;)) Andre Matos (ex-Angra, now in Shaman, Virgo). Where does his full voice stop and from then on he can only use falsetto?

thx:)

Hello Feanor IV.
I think you are using chest and head cavities in all your range. Chest for low notes, chest-head for medium notes and head for high notes.
The 3 octaves that you have are projected with low power and quality. Singing like Matos, with medium power and quality, your standard range would be the common range of all men: 2 octaves.
Then your range is from G3 to C5.
With falsetto you can go higher, because with that technique you project notes an octave above that the singing voice.
http://www.countertenor.demon.co.uk/ct/cttechnique.html

Highest notes some high-pitched classical singers can produce excluding falsetto are C6, D6.

What are the notes in which Matos begin the falsetto?
I do not know, I will do a phone-call to him tomorrow, in order to tell me his vocal range.
:D

Hmmm, thanks a lot for your reply, but I'm a little bit confused. So, you say that Matos has only 2 octaves in full voice and then goes to a falsetto? Do you have any angra or shaman or virgo song in which you could tell me where he uses some falsetto?

So, being able to go as far as C6 (the 7th fret of the 1st string) should I feel ok as far as my range is concerned? Is it "good enough", in your opinion? And could I become as good as for example Matos with this range? Don't I need to have a wider range in order to do so?

Moreover: you said "The 3 octaves that you have are projected with low power and quality". What should I do to improve this low quality?

Oh, and thanks for the link it's very interesting!!

BTW, are you familiar with the Shaman song "Fairy Tale"? If yes, that's where you can hear Matos throughout his vocal range, from G3 to G6, including falsetto of course.

If you would like, I can upload this song in an FTP server for you to download it:Spin: Let me know :)

I'm not sure you could reach 3 octaves without falsetto, because the average range of all singers is 2 octaves. Exceptional cases have 3 octaves, like jazz singer Bobby Mcferrin, but he does not sing with much power, because he says it could damage his vocal chords. If he were an opera singer, he would project less than 3 octaves, because in opera you need power.
Maybe you could reach 3 octaves, but in speaking voice, with no power.
Sorry, Im not familiar with Shaman.

Shaman is the band formed by Andre Matos along with the other ex-Angra members, when they left Angra. Would you like me to upload the song for you on my server? If you like Angra you will definitely like it, plus you could probably explain to me where Andre uses falsetto/head voice etc. If you can't, just let me know, no probs :)

Thanks for your interest anyway :)

Sorry, my PC can not unload FTP software. It is a Compaq Presario 1993, 500 Megabytes ROM, 64 Megabytes RAM, that only admit MS WIN 95 ! An old machine!
A question, in Greece do you use this designation of notes: DO RE MI FA SOL LA SI?
Another question, can greek language be written in latin alphabet?

Feanor would you be able to post a soundclip of your voice?
Signing Angra stuff would be nice, or any other Power Metal band (old Helloween or something).

@epicous: yes, Greek notation is read "Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si" :) Greek language can roughly be written in latin alphabet, the other person will understand what he reads, but if you pronounce it as you read it it will sound funny. For example, the Greek "D" ("delta") cannot be written in latin, so we only write D instead. Another example is the letter "G" (gama) which in Greek is pronounced in a strange way, not to be found in English (something like the double L in Spanish). Nowadays with the internet having spread so much and all, we tend to use the latin grammar in our e-mails, writing in what is called "Greek-lish", so you could say that Greek language CAN be written in latin alphabet, but you need to know greek to understand the right pronounciation. BTW, I can upload the song to my website, you can download it with your browser, you don't need any FTP software :)

@Evil Ernie: I'll try to, when I find some time, cuase now I'm a bit fed up with university exams.

Sorry, my card can not process mp3 archives, wav only. I have an old dispositive.
Another singer who uses falsetto is Timo Kotipelto, ex-Stratovarius. I have a CD: Intermission.
In Latinamerica we also use latin notation: Do Re MI Fa Sol La Si. It is also used in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy, and Greece as you said. Do you know what type of notation is used in Slavic nations?

Have no idea... :( BTW, what's the story you're writing an essay on the subject or something?? :)

Oh, Kotipelto uses falsetto for his high notes, uh? Well, I thought he only uses falsetto in his 'soft' high notes. For example, could you tell me where the guy uses falsetto in a certain song? Any one you might have. I'll download it and find the phrases you tell me and maybe I'll finally understand :)

thanks man!

IT’S A MYSTERY (Tolkki/Kotipelto)

In the middle of the jungle
There are ruins of temples
Built along ago
Stone by stone
They were made by the Mayas
A tribe that is not so well-known
Each pictures on the wall
Recorded history
They were gazing at the sky
Seeing stars telling them
The days on the year
Monuments marked time
But altars meant death and fear
Worshipping gods now gone long time ago
The population grew, new cities were found
What happened then?
Was it a strange decease that wiped away almost everyone?
Or it might have been starvation
Caused by drought
and a scorching sun
It's a mystery
The way they disappeared
It's now history
We will never know

For example, in well-known, vowel o initially is in falsetto and then in normal voice.

@Epicous: hey, thanks a lot that's been very helpful :) Could you also do the same for an ANGRA song? Cause the falsetto is more or less understandable in Kotipelto's voice. However, Matos seems to be hiding it very well, or not using it whatsoever. But since it seems that you're well into this kind of stuff you will probably understand it easier than I could. In fact I can't understand if Matos is in falsetto or not many times. So if you could pick some ANGRA (or VIRGO) song and do what you did with "It's a Mystery" that would be so much helpful!

Thanks anyway :):worship: :worship: