Vocals and downsampling

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
So all in all we've been through : realtime vs non-realtime mixdowns, 16 bits vs 24 bits, 44.100 vs 48.000, analog vs digital recording, tapes vs hard drives, NTFS vs Fat32, OS9 vs OSX, and now the ol' good PC vs Mac... And it all started because I felt that the vocals were suffering when I bounced my mixes... Sorry guys :)

Don't apoligize for asking a great question that demonstrates that you listen to your mixes critically.

Andy Sneap said:
Well if the sound of tape really gets the old trouser snake twitching the best thing to do would be to record into Pro Tools at 96k (or higher), edit as you go then bounce to 2", so you are capturing the harmonics and squashing down everything above 20k, because in effect thats what tape does, as well as compress. It does pull everything together within a certain spectrum, secondry harmonics and all that bollocks. If you use that for "your sound" then I guess you would miss it, if I was doing more straight ahead rock stuff, yeah I could see its purpose. Then again, things like the Crane Song spider have a tape saturation emulator, which is subtle, but is pretty cool, and I'm definately digging it now I'm mixing. The whole "digital/analogue" arguement is a well vented debate by now, and one that doesn't hold as much weight now technology is getting better by the day.

OSX no optimising eh....mr Norton's still doing good business on my machines, my lap top was severe the otherday, seems to be running better now, though it's kinda like when you clean your car and it runs better haha.

I've used an Aphex aural exciter in a drumkit recording to get some highs on cymbals while it was recorded on tape to "catch" the highs and it worked out.
I know it's not the same, but hey; sometimes I got to stick with the tools that I have! ;)

Ah! I was wondering what the hell is that "green piece of gear" on the top of your rack! So that's it!
So are you using the tape simulator in some tracks or in the final mix?!?...

James Murphy said:
ok..now you've done it... i was cool until that ":D"..... so, how many times have you had to defrag your PC in the last 2 years Nitro?... eh?... eh?

Andy's just egging it on you know... he loves it when i mow you PC pansies down with my Mac mayhem! \m/:yell:\m/

Right that it!

Eurodesks all round from the teacher!