Voivod - Phobos

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
do you agree that this is by far Voivod's best album? of course, there's Nothingface, amongst other good albums, but Phobos is just brilliant. it really gives me this strange "sci-fi-outer-space-feeling". I think that each song is a masterpiece...and Neutrino has to be the creepiest song ever (especially the intro).
it's funny because I hadn't really listened to it for like 2 years and now I've re-discovered it.

I really love Phobos and always listen to it every time i feel like it. But I really can't say whether Phobos is Voivod's best album, as I havn't heard any of their older albums yet. Well I have heard their latest S/T album but Phobos really kicks the shit out of that one.

Musically its their best album, and it is absolutely brilliant. However, the singing leaves alot to be desired.

But with Voivods long glorious history, this record hasnt had near the effect of their first four albums on the metal world.

Never really liked Voivod much. I'm a huge riff guy, and IMO, their riffs lacked umph to me, a bit weak. They never really exited me. War And Pain is ok, but other than that.....zzzzzzzz. Sorry.

My favourite Voivod-albums are still "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss" and "Nothingface", but "Phobos" would come close to these, whereas I found their last selftitled album very disappointing.

Ok Everybody needs to get a copy of this record. It sounds like the heaviness and dynamics of Neurosis mixed with the Spacey Voivod riffs. The first time i got the album I couldnt believe how good it was- so i listened to it everyday for a week. Of course the singing is terrible ( i think his name is DeForest I cant remember)- and they kicked the poor dude out of the band despite the fact he was almost paralysed, and can now sing and play guitar again.

actually I like Forrest's vocals quite a lot. Belanger, for example, wouldn't fit that kind of music, I think.
all those spacey sound effects in between the songs really add to the atmosphere, not to mention "Temps Mort" with the strange accordion melody.

Yeah Snake would suck on that record, its not fast and frenzied enough. I thought snakes performance on the last record left alot to be desired, but then again the whole record left alot to be desired. Forrest is it Eric- well anyway he isnt bad, its just he has absolutely no range at all.

We are in agreement though, that this is a overlooked classic.