GMD Poll: Voivod's Discography Ranked

So in other words you think I have a double standard. I can see why that would frustrate you and I would actually say you had a good point if I was ripping Viovod's music, which is rather complex. However, I'm not ripping the music. In fact, while I won’t go so far as to say I’m a fan of their music, I will say I appreciate what they do after the first two albums. I appreciate the prog influence, especially King Crimson influence, particularly in the guitar progressions. I also appreciate the influence they clearly had on a number of black metal acts. Thus, they've actually helped me see a bridge between one of my favorite bands and my favorite subgenre that I previously never even knew existed. For that reason alone, exploring their discography has been worthwhile.

On the other hand, the aspect of their music I am criticizing is Snake’s vocals, and even if you like them, let's not pretend that those are especially nuanced or complex to "get."

Let's not pretend that you get Snake's vocals.

the aspect of their music I am criticizing is Snake’s vocals, and even if you like them, let's not pretend that those are especially nuanced or complex to "get."
And yet here you are, apparently unable to wrap your head around such crazy concepts as a semi-yelled pre-chorus or a chorus with an ascending melody in the first line and a descending melody in the second.

That's what I thought you were talking about and I don't think it clashes, it's one of the simplest and catchiest hooks in their discography.

In that case, we've reached an aesthetic impasse.

And yet here you are, apparently unable to wrap your head around such crazy concepts as a semi-yelled pre-chorus or a chorus with an ascending melody in the first line and a descending melody in the second.

Stop trying so hard. Obviously, I get it. It just is all done poorly.

Who was doing that to begin with?

No retard I'm pointing out the irony of a smug douchebag (such as yourself) that is known to boil down people's opinions as simply an inability to get something and then when you find yourself in comparative situation suddenly this idea that people just don't get something isn't an option that you might settle on for yourself, instead you plod on in ignorance.

Sometimes the getting isn't related to nuance or complexity but rather taste and aesthetic, as you yourself are well aware.

Sometimes the getting isn't related to nuance or complexity but rather taste and aesthetic, as you yourself are well aware.

There are two senses in which people typically say get it: understand it vs. appreciate it. If you mean "get it" in the former sense, then I disagree. I understand what he's trying to do, why the band opted for this style of vocals, what they think it's accomplishing within their overall vision, etc. It's just a failure (you know, from my perspective #differentstrokesfordifferentfolks #justmyopinion). If you mean "get it" the later sense, then I agree. However, that's rather weak and unimportant statement.

B-:
1. The Outer Limits

C:
2. Rat Angel

C-:
3. Dimension Hatross

D+:
4. Nothingface
5. Killing Technology

D:
6. Voivod
7. Katorz
8. Phobos
9. Target Earth

D-:
10. Infiniti

F:
11. War and Pain
12. Rrroooaaarrr
13. Negatron

I understand what he's trying to do, why the band opted for this style of vocals, what they think it's accomplishing within their overall vision, etc.

Do you? They started off as a grubby punk metal band and slowly developed new interests in a progressive direction, so I'm not quite sure I see a motive in opting for the style (since it predates the musical changes) or that it is used to accomplish any vision related to how their sound developed after 1986.

B-:
1. The Outer Limits

C:
2. Rat Angel

C-:
3. Dimension Hatross

D+:
4. Nothingface
5. Killing Technology

D:
6. Voivod
7. Katorz
8. Phobos
9. Target Earth

D-:
10. Infiniti

F:
11. War and Pain
12. Rrroooaaarrr
13. Negatron

Rat Angel and Infiniti are my favorite Voivod albums. I was surprised that they did a concept album about a car manufacturer.

Surprised he forgot to include Katroz in his ranking when he remembered it in his OP.

Do you? They started off as a grubby punk metal band and slowly developed new interests in a progressive direction, so I'm not quite sure I see a motive in opting for the style (since it predates the musical changes) or that it is used to accomplish any vision related to how their sound developed after 1986.

So you think that it's a mere appendix? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that it was intended to go along with their futurist post-human vision. If not, then I have even less respect for them for not kicking Snake out of the band.

When he provided vocals for Union Made and the Probot feature he sang on, he didn't sing in a different style, so I've always just assumed that was how he preferred to sing. But sure, perhaps he chose it due to the post-human vision that had existed with them from the first demo tape.