GMD Poll: Coroner's Discography Ranked

5. Grin
4. R.I.P.
3. No More Color
2. Punishment For Decadence
1. Mental Vortex

By the way, a REAL ranking must be made from highest to lowest, jajaja hahaha xaxaxa!!
You're probably going to need to post more than once for your ratings to count.

I also like the "Purple Haze" cover about as much, thus not at all, but unlike "I Want You" on "Mental Vortex", it wasn't included on the original pressing of "Punishment for Decadence", at least not on the vinyl version.
I didn't know that but I guess it makes sense that it was just a throwaway recording that was never intended to be on the album. Noise probably started including it without even asking the band.

agree on the "Purple Haze" cover it doesn't sound too good a bit rushed into i guess without much of a really inspiring feeling. I wished they would have done a Saint Vitus cover or Black Sabbath Cover lol.

I still think that their first three albums are very solid also because of their ability to add classical elements into their music like on R.I.P. it sounds really outstanding from the mass of Thrash albums released at this times.

1. R.I.P.
2. Punishment for Decadence
3. Mental Vortex
4. No More Color
5. Grin

Guess I'm one of the few to hold R.I.P. in such high regard. I just love the sound and atmosphere on that album. It was also one of the first albums I ever owned, so I guess I'm biased, but it continues to hold a special place for me. Grin is a very good album, but it couldn't really have much stiffer competition, considering the four preceding are four of the very best thrash albums ever released.

1. Punishment for Decadence
2. R.I.P.
3. No More Color
4. Mental Vortex
5. Grin

1-4 are all very good and are close for me. I would describe them all as albums I really like, but don't love and could probably be talked into ranking any one of them first. Grin is an album that I would say this about: I don't enjoy it, but it is interesting and I can appreciate what they did.

Overall, a solid discography.

I'll start calculating the results soon.

Last edited:
#5 Grin (1993)

61A8AaFnYzL._SY355_.jpg

Average points per vote: 1.89/5

Haven't said it for a while, but Coroner - Grin is possibly the greatest ever metal album. 15 years old and it sounds fresher than ever.

nah Grin is restrained when the Coroner we all know and love was anything but....it has its moments but its not classic Coroner like the first few

#4 R.I.P. (1987)

488.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.68/5

First place votes: 2

HamburgerBoy said:
Coroner - RIP (if I listen to this on headphones, people can make out every note of the guitar thanks to the highest-pitched/scrapiest tone ever)

Punishment for Decadence is overrated; if anything, R.I.P. is underrated.

#3 Punishment for Decadence (1988)

R-1777476-1298231778.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.16/5

First place votes: 3

Punishment for Decadence is basically just RIP with the Iron Maiden/trad metal influence removed. The songs are still pretty straight-forward and lead-heavy.

RIP + Punishment for Decadence > anything else they even conceived.

#2 Mental Vortex (1991)

497.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.53/5

First place votes: 7

Mental Vortex is the best thrash metal album ever.

Mental Vortex is insanely good... probably my second favorite thrash album of all time, next to RtL.

Dak said:
I think Mental Vortex is far and away Coroners best album, even if not the most rawly aggressive, but I appreciate mature albums as well.

Reactions: Omni
No More Color is the transitional album while Mental Vortex was a very different style and sound compared to the 80s stuff, so not too surprising. Either is worthy of first place.

Reactions: Satanstoenail