GMD Poll: Coroner's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Coroner's 5 studio albums. Order and number each album 1-5. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 5 points, your second place album earns 4 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 4 albums. Lists with less than 4 albums will not be counted. (But let's be real. This is a small discography. Everyone is encouraged to rank all 5 albums).
  • If you list 4 albums, the first placed album will still get 5 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • You may not vote if you have fewer than 100 posts on the forum (The TechnicalBarbarity Rule)
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Friday March 9th to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit. Just rank them as you see them.

R.I.P. (1987)
Punishment for Decadence (1988)
No More Color (1989)
Mental Vortex (1991)
Grin (1993)

This is actually really hard even though the band only has five albums.

Reactions: Dak
1. Punishment for Decadence
2. R.I.P.
3. No More Color
4. Mental Vortex
5. Grin

1. Mental Vortex
2. Grin
3. No More Color
4. Punishment for Decadence
5. R.I.P.

Grin was my fave for years and I still think it’s genius but Mental Vortex is getting way more spins from me these days. 1-3 are pretty interchangeable though.

Reactions: Dak, Vilden and CiG
1. Mental Vortex
2. Grin
3. No More Color
5. R.I.P.

Grin was my fave for years and I still think it’s genius but Mental Vortex is getting way more spins from me these days. 1-3 are pretty interchangeable though.
This is my exact list too. but I'm the other way around, I probably would have listed Grin below atleast No More Color just one or two years ago.

My list:

1. Mental Vortex
2. Grin
3. No More Color
5. R.I.P.

BTW: I don't get how so many of you guys can put Grin last. I don't think R.I.P. (or PfD either really) is even close?

Last edited:
This is going to be difficult. Of course, I could simply rank the albums according to the number of spins they got from me, but this might be a bit unfair, since I mostly listen to CDs and I have got "No More Color" and "Mental Vortex" only on vinyl (and as tape recordings).

Tough one for me because I don’t actually own any of their albums.

1. Mental Vortex
2. Punishment for Decadence
3. R.I.P
4. Grin
5. No More Color

Might change it at some point. Eh.

1. Punishment for Decadence
2. No More Color
3. R.I.P
4. Mental Vortex
5. Grin

What's so special about Grin? I've never really given it a listen.

Lots of subtlety, cool atmospheric vibes, excellent production, many of Vetterli's best solos, etcetc. There are a couple lesser songs holding it back a little, generally cases where they repeat a riff or chorus too many times, but that's about it in terms of weaknesses.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
It's obviously not in the equation, but I'm definitely a fan of their demo with Tom G. Warrior too.

Personally, I don't hate Grin at all, but it's not quite what I look for from Coroner.