GMD Poll: Coroner's Discography Ranked

What's so special about Grin? I've never really given it a listen.
For me it is by far their most atmospheric album and as I generally favor atmosphere very high compared to just generally good riffing (which there are lots of too ofcourse) Grin ranks very high for me.

I've just listened to Punishment for Decadence and I'm very disappointed. It was worse than R.I.P. Nothing really memorable on that album, that's a pity. I guess I have to give it another spin, but even Masked Jackal didn't really catch my attention.

I listened to it for the first time in a while last night and remembered how good it is. Fucking hell Ron Broder, what a demon on bass.

1. No More Color (by a pretty large margin)
2. Punishment for Decadence (the second half carries this whole record imo)
3. RIP
4. Mental Vortex (the production is just a tad too wet for a record this intricate)
5. Grin (MEH.)

Never had much of a palette for tech-thrash.

I've just listened to Punishment for Decadence and I'm very disappointed. It was worse than R.I.P. Nothing really memorable on that album, that's a pity. I guess I have to give it another spin, but even Masked Jackal didn't really catch my attention.

I used to feel this way more or less (being weaker than RIP and too homogeneous/unmemorable) but it grew on me a bit. It's basically just Coroner transitioning into a full thrash band but with the same neoclassical backbone of the first album still in place. NMC through Grin are certainly still far ahead of it.

1. Punishment for Decadence
2. R.I.P.
3. No More Color
4. Mental Vortex
5. Grin

Reactions: Omni
difficult really because each album has a class of it's own even the early stuff from R.I.P. is excellent.
It's the same with Death's Studio albums almost every album is unique in it's own way despite the fact they developed and changed over the years but still never loose the technicallity and the energy at all.

1. No More Color
2. Mental Vortex
3. Punishment For Decadence
4. R.I.P.
5. (Coroner - Coroner) I know it doesn't count as an album but it's absolutely worth to mention
6. Grin

I think that pretty much sums it up. They never did a weak album anyway I only think the production on Punishment.. is bad and could have done better esp. with another producer who would have understood the band's talent and virtuosity.

Reactions: zerostatic
I have listened to all five albums several times in the last couple of days and I'm still not 100% sure which one I like best, which is also a sign of Coroner's consistency. The only thing I am sure about is that "I Want You" is definitely my least favourite song. I simply don't like the song itself and in addition to this, it's also too long. I've eventually decided to rank the albums like this:

1. R.I.P.
2. No More Color
3. Grin
4. Punishment for Decadence
5. Mental Vortex

If I had ranked the albums by their total spins, "Grin" would have been at no. 1, "R.I.P." at no. 2 and "No More Color" at no. 3., whereas the last two would have maintained their position.

I think "I Want You" is a cover of a Beatles song.

1) Mental Vortex
2) No More Color
3) Grin
4) Punishment for Decadence
5) R.I.P.

A band without a bad album. Grin is a fun, interesting album to listen to. Too bad they didn't make any other albums that continued what they started with Grin.

‘I Want You’ is a Beatles song and it’s a much better cover than Purple Haze on Punishment for Decadence.

Grin is a fun, interesting album to listen to. Too bad they didn't make any other albums that continued what they started with Grin.
The songs they recorded for the self-titled compilation are great and showed the band continuing that sound. They are apparently recording a new album at the moment I think, will be interesting to see how it goes after so long.

Reactions: Dak and zerostatic
The I Want You cover sucks. But then again, the original isn't that great to begin with. Definitely diminishes the quality of album. I'm not crazy about the Purple Haze cover, because I don't think it fits in aesthetically, but it's also one of those songs that is hard to fuck up. It sounds good enough.

I love the original I Want You, it’s one of the best songs on Abbey Road imo. The verses of the cover are pretty cringe but they nailed the harmonies and huge ending. It’s one of The Beales darkest sounding songs, so being covered by a metal band isn’t such a huge stretch.

The Purple Haze cover however is a goofy mess with pretty much no redeeming features that I can think of. The overuse of double kick just kills the rock groove and the vocals don’t work at all. The tune doesn’t lend itself to any metal treatment whatsoever.

5. Grin
4. R.I.P.
3. No More Color
2. Punishment For Decadence
1. Mental Vortex

By the way, a REAL ranking must be made from highest to lowest, jajaja hahaha xaxaxa!!

I'm aware that "I Want You" is a Beatles cover, but that doesn't make the song any better for me. I also like the "Purple Haze" cover about as much, thus not at all, but unlike "I Want You" on "Mental Vortex", it wasn't included on the original pressing of "Punishment for Decadence", at least not on the vinyl version.