GMD Poll: Voivod's Discography Ranked

#10 Katorz (2006)

117780.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.33/13

I tried liking the newsted albums. Katorz wasnt horrible, I guess.

#9 Phobos (1997)

4908b8fcb80abb6095b1f750e06e44b0.720x720x1.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.18/13

Ok Everybody needs to get a copy of this record. It sounds like the heaviness and dynamics of Neurosis mixed with the Spacey Voivod riffs. The first time i got the album I couldnt believe how good it was- so i listened to it everyday for a week. Of course the singing is terrible ( i think his name is DeForest I cant remember)- and they kicked the poor dude out of the band despite the fact he was almost paralysed, and can now sing and play guitar again.

do you agree that this is by far Voivod's best album? of course, there's Nothingface, amongst other good albums, but Phobos is just brilliant. it really gives me this strange "sci-fi-outer-space-feeling". I think that each song is a masterpiece...and Neutrino has to be the creepiest song ever (especially the intro).
it's funny because I hadn't really listened to it for like 2 years and now I've re-discovered it.

First listen. Fuck this is boring, 80% of the riffs are generic thrash/groove/alt metal and the remainder sound borrowed from The Outer Limits. I know this has a kind of underdog/hidden gem status but I can't imagine ever liking this.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
#8 War and Pain (1984)

R-1969378-1362016840-7350.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.36/13

I always try to rebel against my own feelings of nostalgia but War and Pain and its chaotic metalpunk style still just hits me right in that sweetspot and reminds me of all the years only having this one album by them and playing it obsessively. This is fucking hard.

Last edited:
#6 The Outer Limits (1993)

513fVrUFoML._SY450_.jpg

Average points per vote: 8.18/13

First place votes: 1

The Outer Limits is a masterpiece.

The Outer Limits doesn't quite hold up for me though. On its own merits its fine I guess, but it feels like a tryhard attempt at recreating Nothingface after fans probably complained of Angel Rat being too alt rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
#4 Angel Rat (1991)

2046.jpg

Average points per vote: 8.36/13

First place votes: 1

Angel Rat by VOIVOD

it doesn't seem very metal to me.I still like it to mellow out to sometimes..

This may or may not be controversial:
Angel Rat and Nothingface are better Voivod albums than War and Pain and at least as good as Rrroooaaarrr and Killing Technology.

#3 Killing Technology (1987)

R-480247-1361444751-6969.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.94/13

First place votes: 2

i think KILLING TECHNOLOGY may be my favourite non-slayer thrash album. it doesn't hold the same sentimental value for me as RIDE THE LIGHTNING, BONDED BY BLOOD, BENEATH THE REMAINS etc 'cause i arrived at it much later, but i think it's probably better than any of those front-to-back. there are other albums that are more consistent than most of the ones i've mentioned, but they tend to have lower ceilings and a less singular sound, so who cares?

#2 Dimension Hatröss

latest

Average points per vote: 11.22/13

First place votes: 4

All of the big four bands ran out of steam much faster while Voivod continued to evolve. I mean to me Hell Awaits isnt that unique for 1985 since you had bands like Bathory with The Return and Possessed with The seven churches. You also had demo bands making more evil and extreme music at the time. I think it was the standard evolution. That said in 1988 what metal albums sounded anythinglike Dimension Hatross?

Well, the new album leaked and once again, one could put a label on it the same as every dz album which would be "this is what In Flames should have sounded like after Clayman." All the melodic riffing is there, and this is a very high energy, up tempo album. Very fast and furious and brutal....it shows that Jesper still likes to make this kind of music..... So far, it doesnt sound like it's going to be better than Silent Night Fever, but it is very, very good and I am enjoying it a lot while I get drunker and drunker into this evening....:headbang:

I like Dimension Hatross

Fucking a, much better than ending up in Dimension Zero. In Dimension Hatross you get stuck in the psychic vacuum where you hear some of the most innovative metal ever created. I heard in Dimension Zero you're forced to sit in Century Media's waiting room listening to derivative shit.