Volume 8

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
So I'm on my way home from the bar and a little buzzed tonight i grab y cd case and pop in someting ihavent listend to in a while. Volume 8.

I've got tosay, I forgot how awsome this cd was --- should have been all over the radio back in the day.

my only antidote to suffering is physical pain

Great album. Never got the respect, or airplay it deserved. Then again, there's so many albums that could also be said for!

I don´t really understand why nowadays (at least here in Spain) a lot of people slam John Bush era. "Volume 8" is, in my opinion, a very good album. Maybe I consider it not as overwhelming as "Sound of white noise" and "We´ve come for you all" (besides "Among the living", my Anthrax favourites) but "Volume 8" is a solid effort from an amazing band with tunes like "Inside out", Catharsis" or "Toast to the extras". A little better than "Stomp 242" I think.

It´s a "X-file" for me that none of the Anthrax albums after "Sound of white noise" had commercial success. They got it all, sounded fresh, modern, metal and well composed.

It´s a "X-file" for me that none of the Anthrax albums after "Sound of white noise" had commercial success. They got it all, sounded fresh, modern, metal and well composed.

I think the main reason for it had nothing to do with Anthrax, but more to do with changing musical tastes. The whole "grunge scene" hit at about this time, and radio and MTV pretty much just dumped any real rock. Damn shame, but at least we as fans can take solice in knowing that we didn't give up on our favorite bands, even though the majority of the fake fans did.

I think the main reason for it had nothing to do with Anthrax, but more to do with changing musical tastes. The whole "grunge scene" hit at about this time, and radio and MTV pretty much just dumped any real rock. Damn shame, but at least we as fans can take solice in knowing that we didn't give up on our favorite bands, even though the majority of the fake fans did.

Yes. It had nothing to do with Anthrax. I was referring to Anthrax music in the 90´s could have fitted in the music industry. Maybe not selling millions but their albums deserved more success ´cause there ware bands that got attention like Life Of Agony, Prong or Corrosion Of Conformity (none of them grunge). In my opinion, Anthrax in the 90´s didn´t have best figures because they were associated with the 80´s. To the mainstream media they were a kind of "atavism". However, I consider Anthrax adapted their sound to that decade in a succesful way and without losing their roots.

For instance, I love Slayer. They adapted their sound to the 90´s and got (and still gets) success and recognition among the new generations. Anthrax not. However, for me, Anthrax albums in the 90´s were far better than Slayer´s.

What makes me sick about Nirvana is that the worthless dead drug-addict piece of shit Kurt is now considered a rock god. He couldn't play guitar worth a damn, he couldn't sing, and his lyrics were completely and utterly retarded if even comprehendable at all. "Polly wants a cracker"...genious! He's considered innovative because they were the end of hair metal and the start of "grunge"...guess what folks, the deal with their record label and MTV was already done before that album came out, hair metal out and grunge in. Non-stop air play and no more Winger videos, no matter how much it is requested. Wear flannel and act like the anti-rock-star, that's what we're doing now. Don't worry about substance in your music, we're not concerned about that, just play the part". Everything even in music involves a pre-determined contract, if that no-talent piece of shit hadn't blown his head off then he would be another Fred Durst right now. "Teen Spirit" was a pretty expensive video from an "underground" band, mmm...wonder where that money came from?? I guess MTV had a plan, a plan that ruined not only hair metal but real bands like Anthrax, Testament, etc. that were regularly played on HBB. HBB soon after cancelled. As our boys in Anthrax have suffered from again and again, the record industry is vicious and every album that you and I listen to is strictly a product, that pushes me more and more underground with my musical tastes. When Nirvana comes on my rock station I flip over, I'd rather listen to Beyonce (she's hot). BTW--New Cradle of Filth is bad ass (produced by Rob Caggiano, ever heard of him?) Unbelievable producer and guitar player, god I hope he is our guitar player once again.

Great album. Never got the respect, or airplay it deserved. Then again, there's so many albums that could also be said for!

i agree with u mike..do u think ratt-dancing undercover is one of those great album...beside the fashion rock they were..i thought it was pretty good:cool:

So I'm on my way home from the bar and a little buzzed tonight i grab y cd case and pop in someting ihavent listend to in a while. Volume 8.

I've got tosay, I forgot how awsome this cd was --- should have been all over the radio back in the day.

my only antidote to suffering is physical pain

I really need to stop posting when I'm drunk, but here i am doing it again.

listened to wcfya tonight on the way home. damn awsome album too.

Oh yeah Mikey Bong, dbluntman... what you guys said, ditto for me.

Not that I don't love Belladonna era Anthrax too, because I do, but if the music industry wasnt so fucking shitty, we'd probably have a kick ass follow up to WCFYA already.

The first two tracks ---- Crush and Catharsis got to be one of the best 1 - 2 combinations in metal today.

I play Volume 8 once probably for every one time I play any other Anthrax CD. My fave Thrax CD.

i agree with u mike..do u think ratt-dancing undercover is one of those great album...beside the fashion rock they were..i thought it was pretty good:cool:

This question feels like a trap, but I don't care!:lol: I happen to love that album!:headbang: Now go ahead and laugh at my shitty taste in hair bands!:lol:

What makes me sick about Nirvana .....

I like Nirvana. Something so simple, yet so good. I bet a lot of their peers who are shit hot on guitar and can sit there guitar wanking all day think "fuck what a good, simple, catchy tune".

Sure he wasn't the best of guitarists etc, but Nevermind is an absolute masterpiece. Simple. I also liked their attitude of "fuck everyone else" - isn't that what this whole rock thing is about, regardless of whether you are grunge, thrash, death metal or grindcore?

But then again, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing I guess.

I've never liked Volume 8 that much. The first six songs are good, some of them great, like Crush, but I think the rest of the album is pretty boring.

Anyone ever noticed that the riff in Born Again Idiot is the same as Sammy Hagar's 3 in the Middle? My band's bass player also once came up with that same riff and we wrote a song based on it, and he had never heard those songs!:loco:

But then again, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing I guess.

That's what it's all about. Freedom of choice. Musical taste is a personal preference. Their really is no such thing as "good" or "bad" music. If you like it, then in your opinion, it's good.

I happen to like Nirvana too.

I love Vol.8, it's one of my favourites and John Bush is my favourite era- not because I'm a 'noob' or whatever you want to call it, cos I'm not, I've been listening to Anthrax and various others since I was a little kid :Spin:
-still didn't manage to see them live til I was 21 though :rolleyes: ...but what a 21st present! :)

I love Vol.8, it's one of my favourites and John Bush is my favourite era- not because I'm a 'noob' or whatever you want to call it, cos I'm not, I've been listening to Anthrax and various others since I was a little kid :Spin:
-still didn't manage to see them live til I was 21 though :rolleyes: ...but what a 21st present! :)

"Noob" eh??? Did you bring any beer? Welcome aboard!