Vortex

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Hi I'm kinda new to Borknagar. I read somewhere that the reason Vortex left the band was so he could focus on Dimmu Borgir, and said something like "If not for Dimmu I'd still be in Borknagar today" but didnt he join Arcturus after he left Borknagar and joined Dimmu?

The period of time between when he left Borknagar to when he joined Arcturus was a few years. It could be that personal situations at the time were placing too much of a demand for two bands, and now he's able to comit. Or it could be something different altogether.

Vortex was in Borknagar at a time when the band still toured extensively, which was a major commitment. Dimmu Borgir was the same case if not more so. A commitment to Arcturus would be much less as that band does not tour extensively and is composed mainly of musicians who have other major bands, therefore the band does not meet often to tour or compose material.

Vortex's work with Dimmu Borgir is superb, but I would give it all up to keep him as Borknagar's vocalist. I still have dreams of his return, at least for a tour.

Vortex was in Borknagar at a time when the band still toured extensively, which was a major commitment. Dimmu Borgir was the same case if not more so. A commitment to Arcturus would be much less as that band does not tour extensively and is composed mainly of musicians who have other major bands, therefore the band does not meet often to tour or compose material.

Vortex's work with Dimmu Borgir is superb, but I would give it all up to keep him as Borknagar's vocalist. I still have dreams of his return, at least for a tour.

well, the only members who have more important bands are vortex himself and possibly hellhammer (although he said that mayhem, winds and arcturus were all his main bands). Sverd doesnt have anything else, tore has a band but it is secondary to arcturus, knut just has the studio but no more important band and im clueless bout skull.

Heck, i dream only of at least a fucking tour!!! :lol: How sad :cry: :p . But yeah, Borknagar with Vortex again would certainly be something like *ejaculates*.

His job in Dimmu Bürger ( :lol: ) is great, I love his vocals and all, but still I want him with Borknagar again. Oh well, i'm sure that will never happen :p :ill: :erk: :p .

Lol yeah he's the shit the only Borknagar I can seem to get into is when he is the singer : /

Of course the other albums will grow on me eventually im sure

Heck, i dream only of at least a fucking tour!!! :lol: How sad :cry: :p . But yeah, Borknagar with Vortex again would certainly be something like *ejaculates*.

His job in Dimmu Bürger ( :lol: ) is great, I love his vocals and all, but still I want him with Borknagar again. Oh well, i'm sure that will never happen :p :ill: :erk: :p .

I prefer a LOT MORE to Vintersorg in Vocals. In the best borknagar albums Vintersorg sings, and he does brilliantly. Vintersorg in vocals and Tyr in bass... that is REALLY AWESOME.

Personally I think Vintersorg is better vocalist than Vortex. Mr V is the man who can sing in this progressive, brutal and beautiful (the last work) road of Borknagar. I'm very happy for Vortex in Demon Burger (lol). he can do a lot of never-ending tours, earn a lot of money with Cd sales and tours, etc.

I prefer a LOT MORE to Vintersorg in Vocals. In the best borknagar albums Vintersorg sings, and he does brilliantly. Vintersorg in vocals and Tyr in bass... that is REALLY AWESOME.

Personally I think Vintersorg is better vocalist than Vortex. Mr V is the man who can sing in this progressive, brutal and beautiful (the last work) road of Borknagar.
finally!!!!!!!!!!
i was starting to think i am the only one who prefers vintersorg voice......

yep. Mr. V's wide variety of vocals give Borknagar this whole new dimension to the music, which itself is complicated enough already.
Garm's vocals on the first two albums are good, but he can do a lot better. just listen to Ulver's Marriage of Heaven & Hell, or Arcturus' The Sham Mirrors and you'll understand what i mean.

Is there anyone else in Borknagar you guys would like to replace for a "new" Borknagar sound?
I mean, c'mon guys... Borknagar is what it is, and Vortex this and Garm that won't really change anything about Borknagar... Haven't you guys learned anything about this band?

No need to replace anyone, but there are a couple of people who's missing.
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks it that the pinnacle of Borknagar as a band was Empiricism. Since Jens and Tyr left and noone came to replace them, for me Borknagar ceased to be a band, it's now a project. A project of some people who occasionaly put together an album. For some, there is no difference between a project and band, for me, knowing metal since the eighties it is a big difference - in feeling, if not in music.
I like Epic, I like Origin, but Emp is the Bork album for me.

But I think so many things changed with the members since Emp, that it is not possible to be a band again, so I have no dreams or such whatsoever about the Emp lineup making another Borknagar album. I got over it, I have much more important things to worry - or to dream about.

Is there anyone else in Borknagar you guys would like to replace for a "new" Borknagar sound?
I mean, c'mon guys... Borknagar is what it is, and Vortex this and Garm that won't really change anything about Borknagar... Haven't you guys learned anything about this band?

Sorry Tyr I didnt mean to turn it into a I wish so and so was in the band thing I was just curious about Vortex, Borkanagar will of course kick ass regardless of line-up changes

All I would like to see happen is to continue on the path White was going. Just in the sense of having Lazare doing some more vocals. I think it's a crime to have two of the most talented vocalists in the metal world side by side and not singing together. They'd be a dream duo!

All I would like to see happen is to continue on the path White was going. Just in the sense of having Lazare doing some more vocals. I think it's a crime to have two of the most talented vocalists in the metal world side by side and not singing together. They'd be a dream duo!

First Vintersorg turns Borknagar into Vintersorg, now you want Lazare to turn Borknagar into Solefald. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not a bad idea now that I think of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahaha!!!

Yeah, Mr.V's vocals are certainly great and I really like him, but what I meant was that I'll never see Borknagar live with Vortex. Once again, heck the way things are I think no one in Norway will ever see them live again hehe :erk: .

Paul said:
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks it that the pinnacle of Borknagar as a band was Empiricism. Since Jens and Tyr left and no one came to replace them, for me Borknagar ceased to be a band, it's now a project. A project of some people who occasionaly put together an album. For some, there is no difference between a project and band, for me, knowing metal since the eighties it is a big difference - in feeling, if not in music.
I like Epic, I like Origin, but Emp is the Bork album for me.

This phrase really put me to think, because I can't agtree more with it. It actually feels nowadays that Borknagar is more of a project, not a band.

Something to support this is that bands always tour, even if it is every 3 years, but Borknagar is certainly taking a lot more time IMO 9or at least it feels like that)(heck, even Immortal tours more than Borknagar I think hehehe :ill: :erk: ).

I can't see Vortex returning to the band at this point, the music is so well-suited for Vintersorg that it wouldnt sound right having him do it. I love Borknagar's more recent output, but as it has become more introspective, it has become less... on fire. I'm happy with the change, but nothing has come to take the place of what once was.

I really just want to hear Vortex sing on another album that has the kind of intensity and majesty of Quintessence. The Arcturus album was good but moody rather than furious. DB comes close too but he's only the backup vocalist, and doesn't get to do any of his harsh vocals either. I really dig some of the Lamented Souls stuff too, but again... nothing has yet come close to matching the hellfire of Rivalry of Phantoms.