New album - currently untitled - discussion thread

Allfader

Kvelding
Mar 14, 2006
Near Mountains
So, a new album is in the making. The purpose is, obviously, to discuss the process, our expectations as fans and to post the info here to keep the order and continuity of the whole thing. Hopefully the band will give their input too.

So, the songs are - mostly? - done and Dave already recorded 3 tracks. He also said that the sound is 'huge', reminiscent of the black album drum sound (what do NOT excite me) and it's the 'fastest' Borknagar album to date. It's safe to presume that Dave is more confident this time and his drumming will sound better.

This time there are huge changes: Tyr left the band and the bass will be done by Vortex, which means - to me - that the basslines won't be that progressive/technical as before and probably he'll use his BC Rich or his Ric, thus the sound will differ a lot.

Most important than that is Vortex' clean vocals. Most of Borknagar fans loves Simen vocals, be here, or Arcturus or even his few parts on Dimmu Borgir. How will this affect to the overall sound? will this mean that Borknagar will take a more old-school approach to the music? Since Vortex will layer cleans, how much of the cleans will still do Andreas and Lars?

As a matter of impressions, I clearly remember how Oystein cited Universal saying things like Epic, Grandiose and such, but that album was very polarizing in opinions and, while I liked it, I have to recognize it doesn't had the same charm as other albums like Empiricism or Epic, especially for the production, which had the guitars very low in the mix, thus the replay value is kinda low. I learned with the years that the artist vision differs a lot from the fans' one, so I'll be very cautious about this new record.

Tyr left the band and the bass will be done by Vortex, which means - to me - that the basslines won't be that progressive/technical as before and probably he'll use his BC Rich or his Ric, thus the sound will differ a lot.

Most important than that is Vortex' clean vocals. Most of Borknagar fans loves Simen vocals, be here, or Arcturus or even his few parts on Dimmu Borgir. How will this affect to the overall sound? will this mean that Borknagar will take a more old-school approach to the music? Since Vortex will layer cleans, how much of the cleans will still do Andreas and Lars?

votex is still a pretty solid bass player IMO; as much as i love Tyr's style, i think a more straightforward style kinda gives the songs a better foundation. as for the vocals, i would imagine that all three would get their fair share of vocal parts, but i hope that rather than vortex layering his cleans, there would be more of a duet between him and Andreas. at least, thats my opinion.

votex is still a pretty solid bass player IMO; as much as i love Tyr's style, i think a more straightforward style kinda gives the songs a better foundation. as for the vocals, i would imagine that all three would get their fair share of vocal parts, but i hope that rather than vortex layering his cleans, there would be more of a duet between him and Andreas. at least, thats my opinion.

I'm not saying that Tyr is better than Simen, they have very different styles and I'm looking forward for a more straightforward style too.

I'm not sure how the band will handle the vocal thing, but I'm guessing - based on Oystein statements - that Andreas will be in charge of all grims and some cleans, probably in a 50-50% prop. I would like to know how Lars will contribute with his vocals.

Dave posted a video where he talks about the kit and we can actually hear a little excerpt of drumming:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm VERY EXCITED! No matter what, it's going to be a landmark album simply because of the line-up. I have complete faith that Andreas and Simen will both get the proper amount of time to shine.

I loved Dave's drumming on Universal, I'm really looking forward to hearing his arrangements on this album. I also have to admit I much more prefer Dave's drum tones compared to anybody before him.

Though I felt Universal was a little more difficult to follow (I've heard people who've felt this way because they thought it was less focused, I don't think I agree with that) I still thoroughly enjoyed it and enjoyed the album as a whole more than any other Bork album (there are individual songs I like more on other albums, but those albums contain other songs I'm not as crazy about.)

As far as the guitar level, I prefer the Universal level. In my opinion Borknagar's guitars have always been too loud until Universal, so I was pleasantly surprised with how different the production and mix were on Universal.

MOST CURIOUS ABOUT:

-Vortex's bass approach and how it will be mixed. I'm under the impression that the clarity and presence of Tyr's basslines came a lot from his tone, so I hope we can get the same clarity from Vortex's tone. I never found his basslines to be very audible on any Dimmu albums or on Quintessence, but of course there are countless reasons for that other than the actual tone of the instrument. I would just really like a clear and present bass mix. A lot of metal bands have been improving with that over the years so I have faith!

-How strong a role Lars will playing as far as vocals go. I know I should be counting my blessings to have Andreas AND SIMEN in the mix on lead, but to have Lars in there also would literally be the stuff of my dreams.

I'm not sure how the band will handle the vocal thing, but I'm guessing - based on Oystein statements - that Andreas will be in charge of all grims and some cleans, probably in a 50-50% prop. I would like to know how Lars will contribute with his vocals.
i would still like to know the ground for such speculations. If there is some source that says something like that that i don't know of i would very much like to see it. The interview with Oystein from the Artisan blog states only this:
What kind of role will ICS Vortex have now that he’s back in the band? He’s obviously known for more than playing bass, so have you planned out if – and how much – he is going to sing on the next album?
– I certainly have some thoughts and I am really exited about how all this will turn out in terms of vocals. What I know right now is that we’re probably one of the most vocally potent bands around and we will for sure make the best of it. Andreas will most likely do the majority of the grim vocals, but when it comes to the clean vocals, choir and so forth we’ll just see where it ends. I have my thoughts and ideas but I’ll rather keep that within the band for the moment being. All I know for sure right now is that its going to be amazing to work out all the vocal arrangements…
icon_wink.gif
It doesn't say anywhere what share anyone of them will have on the clean vocals. Maybe Vortex will just be doing the backing vocals? So, unless you have some other source, it's mere speculations for now.

It would be most awesome if mr.V, Vortex and Lars would all sing together, but they could also do a couple of songs each separately, the way it was on Universal. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Every band these days seem to rush out 40 minutes of mediocre music. So I say on this new album, take the time to make something great and detailed. Could have some atmospheric vocal layering, some double grim evilness! All kinds of things you can do with 2 vocalist. The possibilities are endless now, now that the band has even more muscle power. Go to places beyond the human limitations.

I really want to listen a duet and maybe some vocal duels between Vortex and Vintersorg....im sure something like that could be awesome! :p
And of course...Last but not least, Lars adding his vocals too.

Just a fantasy, but I wonder if we will have something like Loci's Universal end, but a version with the 3 "vocalists" at the same time?

Since I don't have a Fb account anymore, I would like to ask to anyone who still has one and follow the news thru it if he/she can post here the info - since the band doesn't...

Thanx in advance.