Wacken 2004 lineup updates

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
Anthrax, Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem and Hypocrisy have been added to the Wacken 2004 lineup which already includes Amon Amarth, Destruction, Saxon, Cathedral, Grave Digger etc... Looks like it'll be worth going the next year as well...

I think the way I've worked it out, I'll make next year's Bloodstock and then start considering Wacken from 2005 :D

Don't forget Bal Sagoth, and I'm pretty certain Iced Earth will try to get back into the roster.

Saxon is obviously one headliner, but who the heck is Bohse Onkelz? They *look* very nu.

Jaykeeley said:
... but who the heck is Bohse Onkelz? They *look* very nu.
This is the band that has a high percentage of Far Right fans. It was their fans at Wacken 2003 which smashed the shower area and beat a few people up.

Scum of the Earth. I will be giving these guys a very wide berth at Wacken '04.

Somehow it gets translated to "Evil Uncles". Back in the 80's, they were a neo-nazi punk band and they had one song in particular about sending Jews off to the gas camps. For this, they got banned and all of a sudden they got a skinhead following.

Since then, they have totally denounced all this extreme right wing stuff (although why they didn't change their band name is beyond me), and they are SO popular in Germany, they even managed to open for the Rolling Stones (this year I think).

I guess some of those old fans are still around. Should be an interesting Wacken - especially since Amon Amarth attract the nazi element as well.

Erik said:
Yes, and since those strange "Metalheads Against Racism" people will be there and Wacken sponsors them, or something...
True that.

So the Wacken team sponsor the anti-racism stance, but book the Onkelz as a headliner (or so it seems on the current poster). I assume then that this band have done enough to denounce their prior beliefs etc because I'm sure Wacken would never book Nokturnal Mortum, Graveland, or Kristalnacht.

If I go to Europe this summer I'll make sure I can get to Wacken, but no trip is set in stone as of yet.

DOM-TAK
DOM-DOM TAK
DOM-TAK
DOM-DOM TAK

For I am the way
Your painful exclusion
From past morals
Your future's contractual design-errr

JayKeeley said:
...especially since Amon Amarth attract the nazi element as well.
Why do you think this is? Is it merely the violent message in their lyrics? Or does their back catalog contain some agenda I'm not aware of?

Interestingly, there were some Aryan Nation types at the Dimmu show in Philly. I had never noticed these folks at a Metal show and was wondering what about these particular bands attracted them. Since Aryans, in a very confused way, often consider themselves Christians, I was surprised they would be there to see Dimmu, whose message is anything but Christian. Thoughts?

GZ

Amon Amarth don't really do anything to encourage a nazi following, they're just one of those bands that happen to get one. I suppose the whole viking imagery bit helps...

Stop implying that the sunwheel is a nazi symbol or I'll beat you with a small stick. (I know)

Also Midgårds Söner are in the thanks list for "Sorrow..." but that doesn't really mean anything.

JayKeeley said:
Saxon is obviously one headliner, but who the heck is Bohse Onkelz? They *look* very nu.

They're not nu, they're MUCH worse. God, this band is TEH ULTIMAET CRAP!!!!11
If I were able to go to Wacken next year (I'm not) I'd boycott it just because of these fuckers. And this has nothing to do with politics or ideologies.
You'll get my point if you investigate a bit further into the band's style and back catalogue... but please be aware that if you choose to actually LISTEN to some of their stuff, it's absolutely at your own risk. I warned you.

Erik said:
Amon Amarth don't really do anything to encourage a nazi following, they're just one of those bands that happen to get one. I suppose the whole viking imagery bit helps...
I remember reading in a Terrorizer interview that they used Flanders' (the bit on Belgium, silly people) icongraphy (for lack of a better word) in one of their albums and that's helped attract the Nazi following, probably. Patriotic types :)

Ayeka said:
I remember reading in a Terrorizer interview that they used Flanders' (the bit on Belgium, silly people) icongraphy (for lack of a better word) in one of their albums and that's helped attract the Nazi following, probably. Patriotic types :)
It's probably safe to assume you're not referring to Ned Flanders, the Simpson's next door neighbor. That being the case, who or what is Flanders? Thanks.

GZ