Wacken 2004

Peter Day

Oct 14, 2001
Ickleford. Hitchin.UK
Hey anyone else been looking at the piccies of Saxon at Wacken?
looks like a good set was done, the piccies look good.
Can't wait for london, shame i couldn't be there this weekend but hey sacrifaces have to be made sometimes.

what about Doro as well anyone been looking at those piccies? we all know London Boy has had a good nose!!? he he...

I was at Wacken, and to be honest I was dissapointed. I dont know whether I had sun stroke or not (and it was bloody hot with very little escape) but I didnt enjoy Saxon's set and felt they were just going thru the motions for this gig..

really the suprise guests were not that great for a headline act on the last night..and Biff and the boys were far too laboured and in essence filling for time between songs.

Anyway, thats just my view, if you were there and enjoyed it, fair play and I'm glad because I would have like too!

I was also dissapointed by no Lionheart tracks... still suppose we'll have to wait for London.

Doro and Dio were f+cking awesome the night before...

I was there too and imho they were really great - actually they vere the only band who could live up to the standard set by Dio the day before. The live sound was fantastic and they seemed to enjoy to again stand in front of a Wacken crowd. When they played Denim & Leather - Chris Caffery(Savatage) and some guy from Destruction came onto the scene and played those classic riffs along with Saxon it was total kick ass :kickass:

Tracklist not in playing order:
Motorcycle Man
Strong arm of the law
Princess of the night
Crusader
Travellers in time
Dragon's Lair
Forever Free(encore)
Denim & Leather
Wheels of steel
Rock is our life
And The Bands Played On
Dallas 1pm
Backs To The Wall
Heavy Metal Thunder
+ some i might have forgotten

Nice one, Mr Memento!
I think DTT was simply in the wrong 'state' of mind when the band played, if you know what I mean?...
It was interesting to hear that the band did 'Traveller's In Time'. that's a favourite of mine, from MH, but I thought they may have dropped it from the setlist. Hopefully, it'll be played when I see the band in Wolverhampton but, of course, there will be a few new songs on the list by then!

nightwar said:
Nice one, Mr Memento!
I think DTT was simply in the wrong 'state' of mind when the band played, if you know what I mean?...
It was interesting to hear that the band did 'Traveller's In Time'. that's a favourite of mine, from MH, but I thought they may have dropped it from the setlist. Hopefully, it'll be played when I see the band in Wolverhampton but, of course, there will be a few new songs on the list by then!
I think I probably was...I was right down the front, and watched the encores from the Biergarten. Probably the heat.

Glad you had a good time. I am still dissapointed they didnt give us a taster of Lionheart, but stuck in ones from Killing Ground and MetalHead

nightwar said:
That is kind of weird! There are so many great tracks from 'Unleash'!
With wacken having its 15th anniversary it seemed that most of the bands made a kind of "best of" concerts. Dio played just as much rainbow and Black Sabbath material as he did his solo stuff - Doro played iron maiden covers and all her classic tracks. Also Nevermore took a dive into their older albums like Politics of ecstacy and Dreaming Neon Black even though they as far as i know usually play more recent material.
By the way biff said that the concert was going to be featured on an upcoming DVD:D which seem just a tad strange since alot of the song were also played at wacken 2001.
Nigel played the drums on 747 and left the scene very quitely after that.
And I forgot one song on my previous setlist: The Eagle has landed :headbang:

How did Nigel do?
Sad to know that he sneaked off stage - I was kind of hoping for one of those shock moments! You know, Biff saying, 'Ladies & Gents, Mr Glockler on the drums... And he's decided to join the band for good this time!'
Never mind, eh?

nightwar said:
How did Nigel do?
Sad to know that he sneaked off stage - I was kind of hoping for one of those shock moments! You know, Biff saying, 'Ladies & Gents, Mr Glockler on the drums... And he's decided to join the band for good this time!'
Never mind, eh?
He did very well - no trouble at all pounding those drums.
Jörg also did a good job playing on Crusader.

They played Lionheart and I think they played Beyond the Grave too...

Dio was awesome, Doro I didn't bother with - she bored me at Christmas last year in Düsseldorf - Saxon only had an hour there - but what an hour! :D

np: Saxon - Lionheart :D