Wages of Sin, Anthems of Rebellion, Doomsday....

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
About all these 3 Arch Enemy albums I read that kicks are triggered, snare mostly 50-50 and toms 100% acoustic...that's just amazing..
Now I'm just curious Andy, why?
And how in hell do you get such an amazing tom sound each time?!?!?!?!
Any pointers to share (eq, compression :worship: ) next to "Daniel hits perfect" :) ?..haha
Nah, but each of these albums amazes me just as much..

All I've ever heard Andy say about that is that Daniel is an amazing drummer. Which he is I think. The chorus on Instinct rocks my socks.

cobhc said:
i find wages to be a bit thin sounding compared to anthems and doomsday, anyone else agree?

Whole mix, or just the toms?

cobhc said:
i find wages to be a bit thin sounding compared to anthems and doomsday, anyone else agree?

I don't :)..could be just a taste..I think from when the first snaredrum on enemy within is set and the guitar kicks in, the tone for the record was set...so brutal and powerfull..just amazing..

Sinister Mephisto said:
All I've ever heard Andy say about that is that Daniel is an amazing drummer. Which he is I think. The chorus on Instinct rocks my socks.

Yeah same here..I wanna know some ticks and tips to go towards that tom sound..I'm having headaches working on that...
Ow Instinct at 2.50 that tom bass combination there...man...still can't figure out what he's actually playing there..and yeah also the chorus is amazing :)..

Funky Animal said:
Yeah same here..I wanna know some ticks and tips to go towards that tom sound..I'm having headaches working on that...
Ow Instinct at 2.50 that tom bass combination there...man...still can't figure out what he's actually playing there..and yeah also the chorus is amazing :)..

Yeah I know! I tried to transcribe that bass/tom thing a while ago. Had it slowed down and everything, anyway it's very cool.

cobhc said:
whole mix, especially the bass though

I sounds bright when compared to other mixes but when I listen to it by itself I think it sounds really great so I don't mind. I do know what you mean though.

yep, the instinct drum fill is pretty cool stuff.

btw, anyone remember where the intro drum pattern of machtkampf originally came from? :lol: i KNOW i've heared it before, but i just can't recall where....

at least with carcass the titles made sense with the lyrics, the lyrics are all medical wierd shit, and the titles had to do with that. carcass didn't make me think pretentious with their lyrics though, trivium and bands nowadays just strike me as pretentious because their lyrical content isn't as complex.

KeithRT99 said:
at least with carcass the titles made sense with the lyrics, the lyrics are all medical wierd shit, and the titles had to do with that. carcass didn't make me think pretentious with their lyrics though, trivium and bands nowadays just strike me as pretentious because their lyrical content isn't as complex.

probally main reason why there lyrical content isn't complex cause they throw out the word FUCK so easily..

Andy Sneap said:
wages actually got messed up mastering wise by the Japs, and they used a Jap version to press from in Europe.

That's interesting. I assume stuff like this is the reason you do most of your own mastering? Also, what did they do, kill the bass or something?

Thanks! :)

Fragle said:
btw, anyone remember where the intro drum pattern of machtkampf originally came from? :lol: i KNOW i've heared it before, but i just can't recall where....

On a slightly related note.... Is it just me or does Machtkampf's riff at 0:18 sound like Diamond Head's The Prince, but tuned down?