Waht is SymX's popularity like in Europe/Asia?

Yeah, with the latest album, SyX has been drawing in a larger crowd. Look how much the forum has grown in the past few months. There more popular now than they've ever been.

at least 4 actually..and two that have posted once or twice but arent 'regs'..

LOL!@Satanic.. i dunno wtf deicide sounds like, but i know he has it. And i'm figuring its some sort of harsh metal mostly by the name and the fact i've seen it in metal stores.. lol.

Holy shit, you should check it out Silent Realm, I was into them in the early 90's during my Death Metal craze. Deicide is pure brutal death metal and every song talks about killing God, hence the name "Deicide".
It is simply brutal, however after Once Upon the Cross, it just became too monotonous to listen to anymore. And Frontman Glen Benton is such an arrogant asshole that Deicide as a band will never improve. You'd better make sure your boyfriend is not satanic like me :Smokedev:

Zax666 said:
Quite a bit of Metalheads down here in Bulgaria. I am on the holy mission of converting people from DT to Ajren's works and SymX. :)

DT had a show here (last year) and the hall was crowded.
I guess the same would happen with SX.

Hey Zax,
Since you live in Varna, Bulgaria, do you know the Dutch band Profound (they used to be Black Knight)? They played a couple of gigs in Varna in the summer of 2000 (when they were still Black Knight) and 2001. I'm curious if you know 'em or saw one of there gigs.

Greetz

[QUOTE-the_satanic_rabbit]You'd better make sure your boyfriend is not satanic like me [/QUOTE]

LOL! this is my brother I am talking about not my boyfriend.. hell if i gave my bf a deicide cd he would think i was the one who was possessed..hell the same rings true for a symphony x cd for that matter.

And i dont think i will ever go through a death metal craze so i dont think i need to check them out, your description was quite adequate thankies :D..lol

Little late but I figured I'd reply. Symphony X has a pretty big fan following here in their homestate of NJ, i've met several groups of people whom listen to them and go see them whenever they're touring in the area.

not to suprising, but neat to see quite a few dudes with symph x shirts in north jersey.

SilentRealm said:
And i dont think i will ever go through a death metal craze so i dont think i need to check them out, your description was quite adequate thankies :D..lol
Whatever about Deicide you should check out Cynic. They were a truly progressive metal band which seriously integrated jazz/fusion into their death metal. They were truly original and they brought beauty to death metal. Also, as a group of musicians they were among the most mature I've ever heard in metal. They could write stuff that was musical and technical, yet rarely felt the need to show off their skill. But when they felt it necessary, they could unleash the shred!
Download these songs, in this order:

Textures
How Could I
Veil of Maya
The Eagle Nature

If you don't have a P2P program I can send you the mp3s by MSN (if you have it)

Like most other countries, Symphony X is relatively unknown here in Malaysia. However, there are a few of us who are totally into the them, along with the usual prog/power/death metal bands like DT, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom etc. There's even a local metal store here which imported the ultra-rare Japanese pressing of Prelude to Millennium album, but its retailing at over USD40 !! :hotjump:

For the folks Down Under, have you all checked out the Sanity music store over at Fox Studios, Sydney ? I met up with the store owner there back in 2000 and he was totally into prog/power metal. They even carried quite a few Symphony X albums. I got an In Flames t-shirt from them along with a few other albums. Hope they're still open though !

Utopia over at George St. used to carry tons of prog/power stuff. I bought a heap of stuff from there including Symphony X's V when it first came out. Lately, I've heard that they stopped bringing in all the imported stuff and decided to cater to the mainstream stuff instead. :yell:

Speaking of Australia, I came across an interesting prog metal band from PERTH (!!) called Voyager. Check em out :

Web page :
http://home.space.net.au/~rudnicki/voyager/

Sample music : http://home.space.net.au/~rudnicki/Voyager-ElementV-CosmicArmageddonPtI.mp3

Metal Meyhem rules ALL

I'm so there in August man! I hope they have a good Shrapnel Records selection.

I think a crowd of 3 from Australia is a good turnout

PLUS a New Zealander! (We'll, NZ is basically another state of Australia) :lol:

If i had a rough idea of numbers for a Sydney Symphony X gig, I can get my co-workers to look into booking them, especially while our currency is stronger.

Sorrey Julz, from what I could see they didn't have any Shrepnell's. It was the only record company that they didn't have. Shrapnell's distrobution sucks big-time so it's not metal mayhem's fualt really.

But they have everything else basicly.

frankly i think it'd be cheaper us 4 symx fans going over to see them than getting them here to see us.
But after i finally one day hopefully do get to see them and fingers crossed meet them all and get piccies.. then i will be a happy woman.. i need not ask for any more than that.

BTW i've never even been inside Fox Studios let alone seen the metal collection at their Sanity.

Hey, shreddi, have you ever had the misfortune of listening to Joe Stump? haha
Not happy at all about QLD losing either (Yeah, I'm a Maroons fan). They were pathetic tonight. :(

Yeh, true SR. Oh well. The Sanity in Fox studios isn't bad. Best thing about it is it's open till late.

in greece...there is a big metal scene. a lot of metal heads...even 4 different episodes of 2 tv shows a week (1hr) dedicated to metal...and a huge fan base

but symphony x are not that big. people are either into stuff that is really power and trendy like maiden, iced earth...or really into black/thrash/death...prog has a small thing of fans because there is so much of it but no big bands that have a lot of momentum

to my knowledge symphony x have never done a show here...but not by choice...inside/out wouldn't give them the support to tour here.
actually i think they finally did 2 shows at one club but i waasn't around

Yeah Julz, the Marones sucked last night. Lochier was basicly the only one that was trying to do anything special stradigicly. And the one try we did get wasn't actually a try!! I think the ref awarded it out of pity. Oh, well better luck next year.
Oh yeah, about the *unfortunate* listenings of Stump, all that I can say is that he is Yngwie!. Jeez talk about a clone - but I've only heard one song so I cant comment that much. *Prepares a clobbering from Yngvai X*