Want good metal? Look to the USA.

jimbobhickville said:
I like bands from lots of countries. Who has the most or best is debatable, but I think we should throw Italy into the mix here. Here's a few reasons why:
Ephel Duath (jazz fusion and hardcore is an interesting combo)
Illogicist (best up-and-coming tech death band I've heard)
Hypnotheticall (greath techy-prog)
Novembre (I still like them more than Opeth)
Lacuna Coil (maybe not super original, but one of the best in the genre)
Rhapsody (yes, it's cheesy, but for those who like it, they are kings)
Labyrinth (among the best of the anthemic power metal style)
and more

I'm not trying to argue that Italy is better than the US, just pointing out that they are often overlooked despite having innovative and influential bands.
Bah...

Try Forgotten Tomb, Paul Chain, Doomsword, Asmodæo, Ufomammut, Thunderstorm, or Ras Algethi.

This is quite an interesting thread; the influence of nationalism in metal.

Warning, I am going to make a philosophical argument as I really dont care what country produces quality metal, as long a it is being produced somewhere:

With the internet, the EU, bands touring far and wide, doesnt everyone think that nationalism and regionalism are of much less importance than they used to be? I would set forth the argument that in the beginning of a bands career where they are from, and the local and regional bands and trends around them are of great importance; but after this initial stage of development, what country or locale they are from is of little importance.

Furthermore, if one notices the development of musical (metal) genres that used to be so tied to a certain country, city, region etc: like black metal in Scandinavia, melo death in Gothenberg, death metal in Florida, etc; is totally meaningless today. Excellent Bands from every genre, pop up in every metal listening country. Good Black metal bands now are found in the US. Melo death is seemingly everywhere. Metalcore, the most recent phenomenom, has hit europe quite quickly.

speed said:
With the internet, the EU, bands touring far and wide, doesnt everyone think that nationalism and regionalism are of much less importance than they used to be? I would set forth the argument that in the beginning of a bands career where they are from, and the local and regional bands and trends around them are of great importance; but after this initial stage of development, what country or locale they are from is of little importance.
Interesting choice of words there, 'nationalism'. I don't think you meant that literally, eh? ^_^

I think the interesting thiung about this point is that it can work both ways. The music your local peers are playing can influence a band and make them more inclined (perhaps subliminally) to follow that direction, hence the Norwegian Black Metal, Florida Death Metal etc you cite. But it can also work the other way. You hear about bands who were the black sheep of their local scenes - no-one liked what they were doing, no-one else was playing or wanted to play that style, gigs were hard to find etc. Certainly true of my local area. We have a very healthy live scene, shit loads of bands and plenty of places for them to play, but only one proper Rock/Metal band. You wouldn't believe the grief I had back in the day trying to find committed Metalheads to complete a band lineup with.

I wonder how long as a general rule of thumb these local prejudices might follow a band. Like, how long does it take to get to the stage where you know you can play to your own people alongside like-minded bands, as opposed to having disinterested wallflowers wherever you go.

speed said:
Warning, I am going to make a philosophical argument as I really dont care what country produces quality metal, as long a it is being produced somewhere...
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. I think the only point Jay was making is, that although the U.S. has long been viewed as a Metal wasteland (especially by Europeans), that it has actually produced a number of very creative artists.

Zod

General Zod said:
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. I think the only point Jay was making is, that although the U.S. has long been viewed as a Metal wasteland (especially by Europeans), that it has actually produced a number of very creative artists.

Zod
Yes, particularly recently, and especially from Northern California! E.g.: ressurgence in old school thrash where old school fans are claiming that new albums from Exodus and Megadeth are their best in years, grim/depressive black metal acts like Xasthur and Leviathan which are constantly hailed around these parts, Weakling (RIP), The Fucking Champs, Slough Feg, and of course the Misfortunate Hammers. All this from ONE region of the US.

I'm not really saying it's all a global competition, I was just saying that it's weird how California has been slamdunked on to the map in the last 12-24 months, and of course this doesn't even reflect the country as a whole.

The new Thrash movie documentary ("Get Thrashed") based on the 80's scene just wrapped up shooting and even included a perspective on new *real thrash* bands like our local friends Exit to Eternity (NYC). Go check out short clips from their new upcoming EP -- highest recommendation: http://www.exittoeternity.com/index2.htm