Want good metal? Look to the USA.

pff
always usa had the best bands in every gengre
death : morbid angel, Death, c.c. , obituary
thrash : slayer, overkill, death angel, anthrax, flotsam and jetsam
power: helstar, jag panzer, metal church
traditional heavy metal: slough feg, skullview
prog : fates warning, queensryche, psychotic waltz, dream theater, watchtower
doom : solitude aeturnus, st vitus, Trouble, While Heaven Wept (who all are better than the "doom" bands you mentioned)

You're saying any of those traditional doom bands are any more leading than, oh, say... FUCKING CANDLEMASS? Please. And if you're going to claim that American bands are better in every genre, you'll want to do better than pass off death-doom and funeral doom bands as "doom" and not comment further on them.
if Europe had one great and classic influential etc etc doom band, usa had many more.
Sure there are great bands from Europe in the gengre (My Dying Bride, Solstice, Mourning Beloveth, Reverend Bizzare) but not as many or as infuential as dozens of u.s. doom bands ... long live High On Fire and Abdullah(who are also from the usa)
Traditional heavy metal: hi, ever heard of a band called Iron Maiden? No? Judas Priest?
Same here, except of NWOBHM (and after NWOBHM) trad. heavy metal was grown in usa, where it lasted more and produced hundrends great 80s bands (Manowar, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Omen, Heir Apparent and so many others) So if we are talking about country SCENES and not just specific bands, it is usa here too.
Thrash: I could just as well say Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Sepultura... Yes, Slayer and some Bay Area bands were definitely "leading" the genre but so were Kreator... Just a different kind of thrash. I'm inclined to say that this also is a genre that leans towards the US, though. Nowadays, though, the more "modern" thrash bands like The Haunted, Dew Scented, Defleshed etc. generally come from Europe. The few thrash bands that remain in the US are mostly old bands like Exodus that still stick around.
more MAJOR thrash metal bands came out of the u.s.a. . Even in our times the best thrash metal albums of 2003 were not from Europe (Voivod and "Through The Ashes Of Empires that Machine Head released)
Power metal and prog I don't know and don't care about. I do know that you generally hear FAR more about European PM bands than you do about American ones. Which ones are better, I'm hardly the one to judge.
Not caring about, doesnt mean that these 2 gengres dont exist..they are so important and lasted long than many other gengres of metal (and still reign) . You generally hear FAR more about european PM bands who basically are not POWER metal at all (rhapsody , edgay, etc) USA was always the high king of power metal (Helstar,Sanctuary, Jag Panzer, Crimson Glory, Titan Force, Metal Church, Liege Lord .. the list is endless).And prog metal was glorified in u.s.a too of course (and still is)
"Every gengre" with non-clean vocals ...
ISIS (that were previously mentioned) are one of the most innovative bands of our times , they are from usa too.
Faith No More also ..
and last but not least NEVERMORE (possibly the best 90s hypermetal bands) is from the usa

I agree, the US has been producing just as many (if not more) quality and innovative bands as Europe and has been influential in shaping just about every subgenre imaginable, the newest wave of post-hardcore has been getting the most attention, but as Jim pointed out there have been a lot of great bands pushing the envelopes emerging lately.

I guess I should take some blame here for not making the thread clear enough. I'm not talking about which country spawned the best bands of all time - we all know that is Great Britain for the most part - I'm just talking about the state of US metal today.

Today = approx. last 24 months.

I like bands from lots of countries. Who has the most or best is debatable, but I think we should throw Italy into the mix here. Here's a few reasons why:
Ephel Duath (jazz fusion and hardcore is an interesting combo)
Illogicist (best up-and-coming tech death band I've heard)
Hypnotheticall (greath techy-prog)
Novembre (I still like them more than Opeth)
Lacuna Coil (maybe not super original, but one of the best in the genre)
Rhapsody (yes, it's cheesy, but for those who like it, they are kings)
Labyrinth (among the best of the anthemic power metal style)
and more

I'm not trying to argue that Italy is better than the US, just pointing out that they are often overlooked despite having innovative and influential bands.

Sure. They're pretty unknown to be leading much of anything though, even though they are the best at what they do (Zappa-esque prog-metal).

So I'm really digging Manilla Road in a Brocas Helm campy kinda way. I bought Crystal Logic at ProgPower and songs like "Necropolis" and the title track are ultra-cult-cool.

I know it came out in '83, but this is my first Manilla Road album, heh.

when you talk about purely Textural metal, the US wins with Kayo Dot. (I'm further confusing the issue by making up more subgenre titles)

I would tend to lump the British/US axis into one group. In the 70s, the rest of Europe was still playing catchup when it came to metal but they have clearly developed their own style and innovations.

IOfTheStorm said:
Same here, except of NWOBHM (and after NWOBHM) trad. heavy metal was grown in usa, where it lasted more and produced hundrends great 80s bands (Manowar, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Omen, Heir Apparent and so many others) So if we are talking about country SCENES and not just specific bands, it is usa here too.
Black Sabbath? Led Zeppelin? Deep Purple? Whitesnake? Rainbow? Thin Lizzy? Wishbone Ash? Judas Priest? Uriah Heep? Hell...Cream?

Anyway...I must've missed this thread first time round. It's interesting to see names that I've heard knocked around by other people that I haven't got round to listening to yet. I've been immensely pleased by the UK underground for the last year or so so I guess it's about time I put more effort into looking at US bands soon. Xasthur will probably be top of my list.

I'd agree. I can't believe it took more than a dozen posts before someone mentioned that the best band on the fucking planet is from the U.S., Nevermore. The best Power Metal band on the planet is Iced Earth. My favorite pure Prog Metal band is Zero Hour... also from the USA. And let's not forget Symphony X.

Zod

Ayeka said:
Black Sabbath? Led Zeppelin? Deep Purple? Whitesnake? Rainbow? Thin Lizzy? Wishbone Ash? Judas Priest? Uriah Heep? Hell...Cream?
Sorry but Zeppelin, Purple, Whitesnake, Wishbone Ash and Cream were not metal. Anyway i dont doubt the mighty UK bands, but when the heart of metal stroke faster and strongest, it was in 80s, 80s = u.s.a.

With all due respect, you're so full of shit :loco: Purple and Whitesnake at least were the Metal of the 70s. You take all those guys out, and suddenly Heavy Metal didn't exist until 1976 or something...

Ayeka said:
With all due respect, you're so full of shit :loco: Purple and Whitesnake at least were the Metal of the 70s. You take all those guys out, and suddenly Heavy Metal didn't exist until 1976 or something...
Well since you want a "conversation" to start, Whitesnake was just a SHITTY GAY POSER BAND with NO METAL FEELING AT ALL. Call it "hard rock" but metal? NO WAY. Thank you. "THE METAL OF THE 70S" were bands like Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep,Rainbow, Judas Priest, Pentagram, Rush, UFO etc ... i am sure that you can see the musical difference between this group of bands and .. whitesnake or deep purple.

I can see the differences, but I can also see the similarities. Whitesnake fucking rocked! No Metal feeling? You ever listened to Metal in your life? :loco: They got the mean and dirty blues guitar that all the old masters had. They got a fineass singer with a fine ass. Like W.A.S.P., they make you wanna fuck. This ain't no poser band, Whitesnake had fucking class and they sure damn rocked!

As for Deep Purple, someone's never listened to Speed King, Child In Time, Flight Of The Rat, Fireball, Strange Kind Of Woman, Highway Star, Space Truckin', Burn, Stormbringer etc etc

Dear of you!

On reflection, I find the idea that John Lord, Ian Paice, Micky Moody, Bernie Marsden, Neil Murray, Mel Galley, Colin Hodgekinson and Cozy Powell are 'posers' quite amusing. Seeing how half of classic Whitesnake was ex-Deep Purple, I wonder what that made Purple?