Some good power metal I've been spinning

JayKeeley said:
Nevermore - This Godless EndeavoUr

thisgodlessendeavor_10722.jpg

Better than I remembered, and I've grown to really like some of the songs I previously dismissed, such as "Final Product" or "Acid Words". Maybe it just works better in this bludgeoning humidity. It's quite an exhausting listen just because there's so much going on, and so the last half seems less memorable right now. However, "Born" and "Sentinent 6" are my two favoUrites -- such stunning songs -- while "Bittersweet Feast" is the expendable 'skip track'.

It's interesting because for a band I've always been on the fence with, I actually own all their CDs except for the debut. o_O

WELCOME TO THE PARTY!! :kickass:

The title track is also phenominal, but for the most part I completely agree with your sentiments.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Pretty much every Virgin Steele album kicks serious ass in my opinion. Demilich if you havent heard them I would suggest picking up either The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt II or House of Atreus Act I or II.

Agreed (save for the album "Life Among the Ruins"). The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt I is actually my personal favorite - and, ironically, "Life Among the Ruins" the song is probably my favorite track.

Dark One said:
The title track is also phenominal, but for the most part I completely agree with your sentiments.
The title track/final track is also my favorite. I disagree (surprisingly) with the thought that this loses steam as it goes. "The Psalm of Lydia" and "A Future Uncertain" are both awesome.

Yo Dark One, have you checked out the Kiuas yet?

Zod

General Zod said:
The title track/final track is also my favorite. I disagree (surprisingly) with the thought that this loses steam as it goes. "The Psalm of Lydia" and "A Future Uncertain" are both awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the album as a whole - but for some reason the first half (save for the title track), is just so much more memorable to me. Gonna have to cue it up again though. All it will take is one listen to the 2nd half again, and I'll probably agree with you, LOL

General Zod said:

Not yet. Got it qued up for today, right after Virgin Steele's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I" that En Vind Av Sorg put me in the mood for. :kickass: :kickass:

General Zod said:

Ok, making my way through this album, and gotta say - I'm pretty impressed. Heavy power, nice melody, quality vocals. Wish there were more songs that utilized the growls as I think they're a nice complement to the clean singing, however, it's definitely something I'd listen to again and I think it would work extremely well at a future Progpower. Good recommendation Greg!

Demonspell said:
No way is TGE front loaded, Psalm of Lydia and especially the title track are incredible...

I think it's more to do with it being an exhausting listen. Sometimes less is more IMO. Loomis sometimes tries to fit in too much wizardry for my liking, so I like to take it in small bursts. I'm sure that if you re-arranged the entire album listing, I'd still dig it but still burn out at around the 5th track.

On my next listen, I'm just going to start it on track #6.

spaffe said:
I noticed they made a split with Solstice (a band I'm becomming really interested in); is their music similar/as good?

Not really similar. Solstice have their feet firmly planted in epic pagan doom, and sound extraordinarily British, while TTD are US Epic metal (deriving from the Manowar/Maiden sound).

That said, Solstice might be playing a cover song on that split with TTD. They certainly did when they released a 7" split with Slough Feg (both bands did a Manowar cover).

JayKeeley said:
Not really similar. Solstice have their feet firmly planted in epic pagan doom, and sound extraordinarily British, while TTD are US Epic metal (deriving from the Manowar/Maiden sound).

That said, Solstice might be playing a cover song on that split with TTD. They certainly did when they released a 7" split with Slough Feg (both bands did a Manowar cover).

Ok, I think I will check it out anyway, found it at a store and it wasn't hidesously expensive either. And the Solstice song was The Sleeping Tyrant :kickass: