'Warning: Explicit Language'

Moonlapse said:
That's what I don't get. What's explicit about Opeth's lyrics? Ok, at times they get fairly morbid and personal, but I'd hardly call it 'explicit'. Not to the extent of Eminem who swears simply because its a staplemark of his over-produced, over-hyped trendy bullshit.

Is it simply because they are metal? Is there some expectation that if they are 'Progressive Death' that their lyrics are offensive?
Maybe different countrys have different ways of dealing with it or its because of the name damnation they think its instantly the cliche death metal "Poke your eyes out and skull fuck you grrrrrr!" stuff

Im in New Zealand too, and my copy had no such sticker. Maybe its because of the themes in the cd, which are pretty damned dark (no pun intended), and they couldn't find any stickers that say "Warning: May Offend Lame People"

Alternative 3 said:
Mine has the sticker aswell, it might just be the australia,New Zealand versions.

Ozzy cd's also have them and he has only ever sworn on his albums like twice.
Phew, thank god someone else has this. I was starting to think that I was delusional. But it figures doesn't it? Australia and NZ have some pretty absurd censorship laws and this could only fall under that.

KeithPars said:
Right before he goes, "And you were just like them all, stained by the name of father....I'm greeted by downward fall, yah ya yahhh ya yahh, yeah."
It sounds like he says "FUCK, the [nucleus of joy*]"

The line was "my FIRM GRIP on the nucleus of joy". :Spin:

I've never found a single obscenity in the entire album. That was actually one thing I had noticed pretty early on about Opeth. Mikael is able to express himself quite articulately without spitting out a stream of obscenities like so many other metal vocalists (too many to name). I think it's one of the many things that sets Opeth above most of the rest. English is not Mikael's native language, yet he writes better in English than most American metal vocalists.

Yeah, it's great. During that part in Serenity Painted Death where the narrator is just screaming threats in all directions, he still doesn't resort to swearing, but yet the point still gets accross perfectly.

Definitely no sticker on my copy, nor have I seen another one in the U.S. with the sticker.

I'm not a big fan of the explicit lyrics sticker...I have alot of problems with what they choose to slap the label on, its pretty stupid in alot of cases.

It is annoying. But remember, Judas Priest causes suicide and shit. Gotta protect those innocent children from being influenced to do bad things. Grrrrrr....

the_3_toed_sloth said:
and they couldn't find any stickers that say "Warning: May Offend Lame People"
hehheh!

the US has some really funny censorship laws. Walmart routinely bans "offensive" CDs and magazines from their stores. The attorney general (no longer in office thank you) put a drape over the bare breast of a statue of lady justice. ahahahaha!
"Family values". ahahahahaha!

I know! The reason they try to prevent music from being released in major stores bla bla bla, is because the government are actually all black metal fans. They don't want good metal to be in big places because it's not trOO and Kvlt!

katatonic_fear said:
I know! The reason they try to prevent music from being released in major stores bla bla bla, is because the government are actually all black metal fans. They don't want good metal to be in big places because it's not trOO and Kvlt!
haha... government conspiracy to bring back metal? one can only hope.

Our censorship laws arent to bad really, sure most cd's have explicit lyrics stickers on them, but who pays attention to them anyway. I can buy movies like last house on the left, and the beyond and no-one says anything, but when it comes to playing manhunt it gets banned wtf, I must play it when im in australia.

Ive also seen it with a contains themes that may not be suitable or something similar sticker here, whcih is more fitting.

The best sticker ever is on Down II though: Phil Angelino (Pantera) haha wtf? Cant even get the band names right on the cover.

Moonlapse said:
Phew, thank god someone else has this. I was starting to think that I was delusional. But it figures doesn't it? Australia and NZ have some pretty absurd censorship laws and this could only fall under that.

im a new zealander my copy of damnation didnt have the sticker, i think this comes under the same category as "Australia bans GTA3" Moonlapse...hehehhe