Everyone READ before posting on this Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
Explanation:
============

I have been putting this off for quite some time, but I guess it has become a necessity that the rules of this forum are explained.

I am not that big on rules. I believe in the saying "the lesser rules, the better."

However I do believe that it is only fair to those who visit our forum for the first time to give them some explanation of how things works around here.

These rules are not imposed by me from above. Before I wrote this message most of the people visiting this forum adhered to them already. The rules I am about to explain have been growing in an organic and natural way.

Indeed it makes me think of what the Austrian economist and Nobel prize winner F. A. Hayek called "a spontaneous order". An order that is not imposed from above by some central authority upon an unwilling people, but one that grows as part of a natural evolving consensus.

This particular natural consensus is the result of years of interaction by the regulars here. It is them and their interaction that created the atmosphere of UMOS. It is their participation that keeps this community a living and breathing entity. :headbang:

The Rules
============

Welcome to the UMOS forum. We hope that you will enjoy the time you spend here. But before you start posting consider the following rules:

Breaking them will result in a warning and your offending message will be deleted. The second time I will delete your post without warning and you may be banned.

This is a place for intelligent and civilized discussion.

Remember that the music we like is a very personal choice and value to us. Insulting someones favorite band or music can deeply insult or hurt that person.

Thus here we expect you to behave as a mature person that respects the personal choices that other people make.

This implies that we debate in a civil tone and manner! For instance, we do not scream to bring our point across.

We don't care what your educational level is or how old you are or how strongly you dislike a band or genre [and that goes for glam as well!].

Therefore:

1) No Personal attacks!

This means that you criticize the argument, but not the man or woman making it. IOW you criticize *what* people say, not the people themselves.

As for Aug 19 2009 any of these type of posts will be deleted totally on sight without further explanation.

To all regulars (specially the old guard), non-regulars and newbies, PLEASE do not feed the trolls. If you got attack or offended and I didn't see the post, please report it to me and I deal with it. Last thing we want at UMOS are flame wars, there are plenty other forums for that. Thank you.

2) No hit and run comments!

This means that you do not enter a tread about a band and only say;

"They suck".

This is simply not tolerated! If you dislike a band or album, explain in a reasonable tone *why* you dislike them. Give reasons! Argue, and discuss. Or just say it's not for me.

As for Aug 01 2008 any of these type of posts will be deleted totally on sight without further explanation.

3) No commercial/Promotional messages. None whatsoever under any circumstances!

That means that even if you don't make any money on what you are trying to promote it is still against the rules to promote it.
The question is not if you make money with your activities but that you posted a promotional message.

This includes signatures with links to web pages where certain products or a product is being sold. That is the meaning of: "None whatsoever under any circumstances!

Lately this has increased, we may allow some if we believe the UMOS regulars may benefit from it, or if it is a poll type thread in which the regulars may express their opinion about it. But in general terms from now on this kind of post will be moved on sight to the self-promotion forum without warning or explanation, or deleted depending on the moderator mood.

If you want to promote anything go to the promotional forum here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139

You can post commercial messages there until the day you die without anyone objecting to them.

4) Respect the regulars

Yes I know, thats is not equality. It were the regulars that made this forum what it is today. When a regular corrects you when you misbehave don't insult or otherwise attack him or her.

5) No images or movies or links to images or movies that are too sexually explicit

What is "too sexually explicit" will be judged by me within the context of the situation.
When you would not be allowed to post post the image or movie on a family oriented forum, then you better not post it on UMOS

6) No commentaries that imply or lead to xenophobia or racism. UMOS is about diversification and respect, avoid as possible political or religious debates they usually escalate into something ugly.

Any complaints about a regular? PM me. Click on my name and choose "Sends a Private Message to Wyvern or Hawk". And we will deal with it.

===============

I hope you'll see that these rules really come down to one simple one.
And that rule is:

Behave in a civilized manner

Thats all we ask of you. If you think this is too much to ask you can always visit a few of the other forums on UM and see if their rules are more to your liking.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and you in time, will also become a regular :)

Hawk
UMOS Co-Moderator

Wyvern
UMOS Co-Moderator

Modified on February 22, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DeathMetalBangers
Status
Not open for further replies.