IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please everyone read this!

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
It took me a few months to write this message. I have been the moderator here for almost two years now.

When I started as the moderator here I listened to a lot of prog-metal and old school bands. This place feels like home to me.

It does because I have been very lucky to have made some great friends here. Therefore it will stay home for me. I will not leave this place.

But it does feel strange sometimes. Musically, I feel I have moved into several different directions. You guys know that I always said that I like the metal of the present era the best.

Well, that has even grown stronger. Since a year or so I play all kinds of metal including black metal and industrial metal. I don't feel like an Old Schooler anymore. In a sense, I never did, but now I am further removed from that genre than ever before.

So while UMOS is still my home socially, it not my home musically, anymore. That's how it is folks! I can't help it.

I must honestly confess that I can get annoyed sometimes when people say that 1984 was the best year in metal. I know, its a matter of taste.
I agree, its just not my taste anymore. Checking in every day and reading every tread has become a task, a job. Its not fun to do anymore.

Not because of you, but because I am musically so far away from the subjects discussed here. So It is with very heavy heart that I have to announce that I can no longer be the moderator of this forum.

Since I did not want to leave this place, that is so special to me, in
disarray I have been thinking about a replacement.

Actually I knew right away who I wanted to ask. Its someone who I consider very bright, honest and has lots of attitude and integrity After asking him he made a point of thinking really hard about what this would mean to him.

See? I told you that he was bright and honest. :)

I hope that you all give your full support to my good friend Wyvern as the new moderator of this forum.

As for me, I'll drop in now and then. I might be even more free in writing what I think about certain subjects. Who knows?

I want to thank all the regulars and friends here at UMOS for supporting me the last two years.

I really could not have done it without you! And I mean that!

So thanks everyone.
You'll be seeing me! :wave:

Henri

Sorry to hear this Hawk, but do appreciate the honesty. Hope you do drop in often! I really appreciate your opinions, thoughts & insights on things musical & non-musical - i.e. political/social discussions. You really have great insight and thoughts on a wide array of topics...not just music discussion. I really have enjoyed myself since coming to the Old School forum and you have been a big part of that...along with all the other great people I've met here. Here's to you Hawk my brother!:kickass:

Congrats to brother Wyvern on his new gig as forum mod.:headbang:

Wyv is the PERFECT person for the position! Congrats!

Hawk, I know what you mean. Life gets in the way sometimes and I feel as though ALL music takes a back seat most days. We all have to do what we have to do. It's just life.

Stick around and make sure you keep in touch my friend!

Kent

Well the cat is out of the bag. When Hawk came to me with this I was sadenned by his choice. I think he made the best moderator ever and his views and input are always welcome and cherished.

Of course it all depends on Deron right now, he has the final word. If everything clicks I'll have a message for all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence so far ;)

Hawk

I still hope you will let me send you the goodie package I've been working on forever! Though you may not be old school much in music you're still OLD so don't forget to stop in and say HI!:lol:

Rolando, many congrats to you on the new gig!

Of course it all depends on Deron right now, he has the final word. If everything clicks I'll have a message for all.

I told Hawk whoever he recommended was good enough for me, I trust his judgment that much. That said, you will be perfect for this Wyvern and thanks for accepting :)

Hawk is a class act and will always have a presence here.

Well, if new things crossed your path Hawk, it's probably best to pass the flame to Wyvern... I'm sure he'll moderate this place just as fine as you did !!!

I told Hawk whoever he recommended was good enough for me, I trust his judgment that much. That said, you will be perfect for this Wyvern and thanks for accepting :)

Indeed he is and always be, I'm still gonna miss him as mod.

As for me thanks to you Deron for getting this piece of heaven for us all to meet and pass the time. I'll promise to do my best and you can slap my wrist if I ever screw it up :D

NP: Death Angel - 'Soulless'

It's sad that we lose Hawk from the place of moderator.

But it's very nice that the replacement is Wyvern (congratulations)!

I hope, at least, that Hawk won't stop visiting our place...

Sorry to hear this Hawk, but do appreciate the honesty. Hope you do drop in often! I really appreciate your opinions, thoughts & insights on things musical & non-musical - i.e. political/social discussions. You really have great insight and thoughts on a wide array of topics...not just music discussion. I really have enjoyed myself since coming to the Old School forum and you have been a big part of that...along with all the other great people I've met here. Here's to you Hawk my brother!:kickass:

Congrats to brother Wyvern on his new gig as forum mod.:headbang:

Thanks buddy. I will participate now and then. No worries. :)

Wyv is the PERFECT person for the position! Congrats!

Hawk, I know what you mean. Life gets in the way sometimes and I feel as though ALL music takes a back seat most days. We all have to do what we have to do. It's just life.

Stick around and make sure you keep in touch my friend!

Kent

No problem Kent. We'll do.

Well the cat is out of the bag. When Hawk came to me with this I was sadenned by his choice. I think he made the best moderator ever and his views and input are always welcome and cherished.

Thanks for the vote of confidence so far ;)

I appreciate what you are saying Rolando. I am sure you'll be doing one hell of a job!

Hawk

I still hope you will let me send you the goodie package I've been working on forever! Though you may not be old school much in music you're still OLD so don't forget to stop in and say HI!:lol:

Rolando, many congrats to you on the new gig!

Of course you can send me that package. I'll be happy to receive it.

Thanks Deron. I am thankful.

Well, if new things crossed your path Hawk, it's probably best to pass the flame to Wyvern... I'm sure he'll moderate this place just as fine as you did !!!

Yep, I am sure about that. Thats why I have chosen him.

It's sad that we lose Hawk from the place of moderator.

But it's very nice that the replacement is Wyvern (congratulations)!

I hope, at least, that Hawk won't stop visiting our place...

I won't. Don't worry. But I might frequent the place a little less. :)

Congrats Wyvern, and Henri, you still rule, no matter how your tastes have changed! :headbang: See you here, and see you at that "other" place as well! :)

Sure man. I can leave neither 'locations'. :)

Thanks for all you've done Hawk. Don't stray to far away. :)

Congrats Wyvern. :)

Thanks D. Thats very nice of you.

Frankly, I never thought of Henri (Hawk) as moderator, just one of my best friends here on UMOS. Ironic that he's been moderating all this time, keeping the forum civil and respectable, and from my point of view never noticed for his contribution.

I've been a mod before, a very long time ago, on AOL. I know how difficult and time-consuming it can be. Dealing with pissed off people was not my strong suit, so my moderating career was brief.

KUDOS to Hawk for his dedication and duty to the community for the past couple years. I love you man! And don't be a stranger. I suspect you'll probably post even more now, as you'll have more free time to just be a citizen.

Thanks buddy. I will participate now and then. No worries. :)

Hawk/Henri you have been invaluable to this forum! I have enjoyed/appreciated your non-musical musings & opinions more so than your VAST musical knowledge. You posses a whole world of musical knowledge that I could only dream to attain. BUT, it is your knowledge & insight as pertains to other issues that your real perosnality & wisdom comes through. You, sir, are one of a kind! :headbang:

Frankly, I never thought of Henri (Hawk) as moderator, just one of my best friends here on UMOS. Ironic that he's been moderating all this time, keeping the forum civil and respectable, and from my point of view never noticed for his contribution.

:) Thanks for that my friends. I have always seen it the same way.
I never wanted to make a big thing out of my moderatorship.
I am glad that worked, at least for you.

KUDOS to Hawk for his dedication and duty to the community for the past couple years. I love you man! And don't be a stranger. I suspect you'll probably post even more now, as you'll have more free time to just be a citizen.

You may very well be right. :):p

Hawk/Henri you have been invaluable to this forum! I have enjoyed/appreciated your non-musical musings & opinions more so than your VAST musical knowledge. You posses a whole world of musical knowledge that I could only dream to attain. BUT, it is your knowledge & insight as pertains to other issues that your real perosnality & wisdom comes through. You, sir, are one of a kind!

Thank you. I feel humbled. :)

Hawk, Well what else is there to say that hasn't been said by everybody here? You have done a superb job and kept this forum the best on the net. Cheers!!!

So while UMOS is still my home socially, it not my home musically, anymore. That's how it is folks! I can't help it.

You've let the music take you where it will. So be it. We all change. Tastes change. I used to hate broccoli. Now I like it a lot.

I hope that you all give your full support to my good friend Wyvern as the new moderator of this forum.

Excellent choice! :headbang:

Pity to see you leave Hawk, you were fair and respectful in the time you were moderator, I'm sure Wyvern will uphold these qualities and hope you don't become a stranger now.