Warning - Watching From A Distance

Orthodox Caveman

Slothier Than Thou...
Feb 10, 2007
This is some a new Doom Album (true Doom... not death doom, not funeral doom, not stoner doom, not drone doom... DOOM!) from the UK band Warning... it is, to say the least, awe inspiring music. It is chaulk full of pure heartfelt emotion. Sorrowful dirges, mournful passages and fantastic, powerful music that creates some intense atmosphere...

Here's a review from HELLRIDE MUSIC:

The end of the long wait draws nigh……….the new Warning album is upon us. To say that it offers five new “songs” over about 50 minutes would be technically accurate, but woefully short of true to the experience this represents…..that would be more like five immense journeys to the core of human experience.

Those who say doom metal is one dimensional would do well to clap ears round the new The Gates of Slumber and then this. The Gates of Slumber have nearly set a new standard for dragging the listener by the throat through epic vistas spanning land, time and reality, demanding the full engagement of the listener…….mind, body and spirit. Warning embark on a similarly epic journey, though inwards rather than outwards. The five offerings here both reveal the tremendous depth and breadth of the mental, emotional and spiritual (not in a religious sense) experiences of their creators and at the same time push, pull and hypnotize the listener’s spirit into its own depths. The power of both orientations is nearly off the scale and these two albums make clear in the here and now the superiority of “true” doom metal to the drone wannabes……

True doom challenges the listener and demands the full investment of mind, body and spirit, alternately pummeling and rewarding, provoking and teaching. It takes intelligence, talent and connectedness with oneself to create and to fully appreciate. Drone attempts to mimic that effect with overly simplistic physicality assaulting the chemically addled mind and soul. Drugged and shocked lab monkeys, like Sunn O))) concert goers, know they’ve been through a sensory experience. Unlike said concert goers, they’re not pretentious enough to ascribe any deep meaning to it.

So if you are going to give this a spin, heed this warning: be free of fear, be committed in the whole of your being to the impending experience and profane not the Temple of Doom……….

Push play and “Watching from a Distance” immediately serves you with the full stride power of Warning. The guitar cuts a deep path of fully doomed out, woeful melody like the highly polished and sharpened sword of a giant cutting through the listener’s soul. The drums hammer the cadence of doom home with authority (thunderous those tom fills!), while the bass fills and connects, deftly moving from slotted in the gaps to effectively underpinning either the drums or guitars. Quickly apparent is the maturity level present in the song writing. The melody lines are deceptively simple on a surface level, but the way secondary melodies and slight alterations to the main one are woven into the tapestry of the song speak to prolific fountains of effort and talent. The overall sound is an immense towering mountain of melodic doom. Listening is akin to looking up at thousand foot Tsunami about to break on one’s head and yet be mesmerized by the beauty of the wave even as death looms….

The vocals enter as both an additional instrument and a vehicle for communication. While at times they are slightly reminiscent of other vocalists, I’ll not do them the injustice of comparing for they are more unique then similar. It’s with these (though the music somehow foretells the focus somehow) that the nature of the journey, the inward focus, is nailed down. Highly personal and emotional, they step effortlessly from very concrete to very abstract aural paintings of the dark realms of human experience. Major points are hereby awarded for top shelf doom vocals throughout this album.

“Footprints” rides in next, the slow but thunderous pounding of war horses’ iron hooves. The main riff is a thing of doom metal beauty, and, as is requisite for all fine art, well framed by the rhythm section. Once more emotional vocals that are intense, but not a bit overdone or affected, convey a powerful message from the depths of the spirit. The warrior/soldier amidst the wrecked ruins of the fort he swore to defend is a powerful metaphor that speaks strongly to any that have felt the soul searing pain of recognizing that they were unable to fully honor something that meant everything to them. Like every song on this disc “Footprints” is through and through doom metal of the highest caliber.

“Bridges” continues the procession of awesome doom. Like its predecessors it rivets the attention throughout its entire length (11 and one half minutes). Massive yet melodic riffs unfurl, mournful vocals emote and the cavernous yet steely rhythm section thunders underneath. “Faces” and “Echoes” continue to present all the above referenced attributes attached to unique melodies and composition. Each song is complete and cohesive (no mean feat with a 10 minute average length) and in turn the entire album presents as a complete and cohesive work. Many bands and albums require a lot of changes in tempo and style to avoid listeners burning out and losing interest. Not a bit of that going on here, nor any need for it. This album holds the listener in rapt attention. Many bands fall victim to “jack of all trades, master of none” syndrome, not Warning……masters of doom metal.

What Warning have delivered is an indisputable doom metal masterpiece, one that will stand the tests of repeated spins and time (it’s a grower too, loved it at first listen and it gets better and better with every spin), one that will assure their place forever in doom lore. This album artfully mines the vast and under developed territory between classic Solitude Aeturnus/Candlemass and Saint Vitus. If the mention of those doom legends seems an overstatement, or threatens to cast a shadow, let me assure you that with this release Warning have placed themselves in that league……in an irrefutable fashion. If you love doom metal, you absolutely have to have this album. If you prefer to tune out and simply have your senses bombarded, it may not be for you….it demands your investment to reveal all its treasures.

More band info:

http://www.miskatonic.cc/band_warn.html

I uploaded a song from this album. The song is called Footprints.

"Here I am wide open, surrendering to your side
I have laid down my armour, I have no sword at my side.
I leave behind me the ruins of the fortress I swore to defend
I leave behind me foundations
I'll leave you a man I'll need you to mend
And through all the battles around me I never believed I would fight
Yet here I stand, a broken soldier, shivering, naked, in your winter light…"

The above sung lines in this song are thoroughly drenched in sorrow and utter despair. If this song does not cause you to mourn for the lost character in it, then you are beyond hope.

Here is the song:

Warning - Footprints

Ah this is pretty good... cheers for the post, Caveman. I don't listen to a whole lot of trad/true doom (mainly Candlemass if I do... or Black Sabbath, naturally, if that counts) but this is one I might chase up.

Haha, that reviewer definitely has some kind of agenda against drone. I like SunnO))) but I'm definitely not "chemically-addled", although I definitely prefer doom that's dirty, thick and crushing. Stuff like Thorr's Hammer, Disembowelment, Corrupted, that's my ideal sorta doom.

Having said that, I'm not the kind of guy who just laps up everything released by Southern Lord or Stephen O'Malley and thinks it's all genius. :p Couldn't stand Khanate or Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine.

I'm going to have to agree with AshDLS here. Sunn 0))) is classic, especially songs like "My Wall". But I'm not going out and listening to every single side band they are in. Boris alone is hard to listen to in most cases. I find it hard to find a consistently good doom band.