Warrel Dane is the worst vocalist I've ever heard

I'm a hundred percent sure that Nevermore would be ten times as big as it is now if Warrel Dane didn't exist. I've heard this story so many times, people pick up an album - ALWAYS say the riffs are amazing but stop listening because of the vocals.

Here's some examples of average:
Pegazus

To be fair, Danny Cecati has improved a bit since then:

other potentially great bands ruined by shitty vox: blind guardian

The whole of 'Imaginations from the Other Side' begs to differ, but particularly this song:

On topic though, I'm not the biggest fan of Nevermore, but I do agree with the idea that Dane brings a unique sound to Nevermore and doesn't sound that bad, so is nowhere near the worst vocalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm alone in the world here, but I think Warrel Dane is the only thing that makes Nevermore interesting. Without him they sound like super clinical xtreme snowboarding 2002 music, I couldn't give a shit about how fast they can play or how many wankfests Jeff Loomis can show off with. That kid that criticized Dane's lyrics with that one line is a moron, although to be honest, Dane has really been slipping lately and seems out of ideas. On Politics of Ecstasy and Dreaming Neon Black though, his lyrics are of a pretty high standard of literary construction.

He also kicked total ass in Sanctuary, his more modern vocals aren't as good but they're interesting and commanding. That said, the new Nevermore album is complete crap. Does anyone else notice that they were actually interesting on PoE and DNB? PoE especially, it's basically power metal with death metal riffs.

For sure. But I guess if they got a screamo vocalist to sing on their new stuff, they'd be TOTALLY HUGE DUUUUDE.

Don't get me wrong, he absolutely slays on Sanctuary. Beyond that, he's just trying to achieve the level of vocal he achieved in Sanctuary but is simply too old/can't hit the notes and it all goes horribly wrong.

What do you think of the lyrics on Obsidian? 'Sometimes she moves the chairs downstairs, and runs away' - the epitome of metal lyrics right there.

I love how you keep singling out that one line. I haven't heard the new album, but apparently that song has to do with Andy Sneap's haunted house. The lyrics overall for the album seem fine...nothing hugely poetic and amazing but certainly not worse than most of the lyrics from metal bands. If you want poetry, read poetry.

Ok, i'll also pick on "she was just another system slave", a cod-political line that hides so many things that aren't being properly explored just lazily tossed in, and "the world is just a spinning ball of confusion that no-one understands", which is pompous and hilarious given the depth of knowledge we have about earth. oh and "she was booorn... in 1617....". just doesn't work with that kind of aggressive music and delivery, sounds like a line from a history book delivered as war cry.

but i challenge ANYONE to do such a good job of constructing memorable melodies and phrasing over the kind of riffs that loomis writes, he does a great job of bringing something to the table. it's a little like labrie, another polarising singer, does a great job of keeping up with his band, given how involved the music he's singing over is.

screaming/growling, for example, is an easy option, it takes guts to SING in a metal band these days, and though nevermore expertly use different modulations in their songs, encouraging melody over the top, finding something that really works and makes the metal workouts into SONGS, indeed, fronting a band of that level of technical sophistication, must be an occasionally thankless task.

When Warrel is on his game I love him. The latest album was lackluster though and I think it wasnt all about the instrumentation but also alot about the vocals and the melodies that didnt click with me.

Yea, InAbsentia, why do you keep referencing that one fucking line? It's a song about a ghost, so in context it makes sense. Cannibal Corpse also has a song about a ghost. But I guess it's ok for them, since they growl and blast and everything...

Lets now visit the PT discography and hand pick some pretty shitty lyrics. Here is the first:

'He captured and collected things
And he put them in a shed'

Wow. How incredibly deep and profound. Is Stephen singing about some 10 year old science geek? But wait, does he get a reprieve because he is in a rock band, and rock bands are licensed to sing about anything they want? Metal bands have to be brutal and sing about heads being chopped off I guess?

Lyrical criticism is about as subjective as you can get. And given Dane's track record of profundity, I think he's pretty much free to write what he wants.

I do agree the new record, for Nevermore fans' standards, is lack luster. It's still better than 75% of the shit that gets released today, though, and I really like it. One questionable record in almost 20 years of recording isn't bad.

I do agree the new record, for Nevermore fans' standards, is lack luster. It's still better than 75% of the shit that gets released today, though, and I really like it. One questionable record in almost 20 years of recording isn't bad.

I never feel a want to listen to it so for me its one of those albums I wont buy at all. I wouldnt say its better than 75% of whats released. If it was I would have the inclination to actually listen to it. Yeah... Im pretty disapointed. I hope they can bounce back from this.

Of course they can, they have Loomis and Dane. I think NM fans are just spoiled by TGE and wanted a follow up, TGE part 2 or something. I have a feeling the next record is going to be the last album they make. Some recent comments by Loomis lead me to believe this. Hopefully they'll go out with a bang.

Of course they can, they have Loomis and Dane. I think NM fans are just spoiled by TGE and wanted a follow up, TGE part 2 or something. I have a feeling the next record is going to be the last album they make. Some recent comments by Loomis lead me to believe this. Hopefully they'll go out with a bang.

It's partly that the album took 5 years to arrive. It's the same way people are hoping the new Crowbar will be incredible, or Chinese Democracy took on this insane hype that it could never live up to. I hope and believe the guys will continue to make albums, since they are now able to make a proper living from this and the band has continued to grow and grow. Kinda like Opeth adding keyboards and a slight cheesiness, I don't have any problem with their attempts to reach a wider audience with songs like Your Poison Throne and Emptiness Unobstructed- they have given us a lot of stellar music and now deserve to be properly rewarded for everything they have already contributed to the metal community, which is a boatload.

Yea.

The timing of the album is really the main reason people are complaining. It did take 5 years for them to release, but I think people automatically think that the band was in the studio for 4 of the 5 years and this is what they came up with. False. Loomis and Dane each did solo records. WD toured on his album, and they both did some guest appearances. They toured on TGE for 2 years and needed a 'break from each other' as Loomis said, so they just chilled out. He didn't even begin writing the album until mid or late 2009 he said. He basically wrote it with his eyes closed - studio time was short. So it is not the case that the band was locked in writing mode for 4 years and TOC is the result.

I do wish them more success because they do actually deserve it. Loomis is currently writing the follow up to Zero Order Phase which is going to be amazing and I can't wait.

Warrel Dane used to be a really good singer on the first Sanctuary album. He sucks now and it's hard to imagine it even being the same person.