Warriors and Wusses

post-17-84365-gay_thread.jpg

MadeInNewJersey said:
You live in quite the black or white world, don't you? Kudos for having the keen foresight to understand every-fucking-thing. Care to explain the meaning of the universe to me? I'll wait.

Look, all I did was explain what I thought about this shit. All you've done is snap at people without explaining why. We're both wasting our time.

Crimson Velvet said:
JAG is one of the best TV shows ever. Seriously.
Catherine Bell. :D
cb235zd.jpg

WHAT MY FRIEND SAID:

My name is Sergeant C**** A****. I'm a member of the North Carolina National Guard and also a student at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. I am a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I admire your courage in writing your article. You were correct in saying it does take courage to write the piece you did, and I am glad you have the fortitute to express your opinions despite mainstream opinions. As someone who completely disagrees with you, I can't argue with you on much, as you have a right to your opinion and people can't dispute opinions.

I do want to talk briefly about one thing you pointed out. The one flawed element of your article is when you got into the question of morality.

Through no fault of your own, I do not believe you are in any position to talk about other people's morality, especially hundreds of thousands of people, especially when you have never met the vast majority of them. I would not expect you to do so, but I believe if you spent a few hours in the presence of people in a combat zone, your opinions on the morality of these people would change. I have pulled the trigger and engaged men, and as you said, I am responsible for what that meant. However, sir, the people on the other end aren't mom and pop out for a sunday stroll, they are individuals out to kill, and most of the time, out to kill innocent civilians. Is this immoral? Would you have written on the immorality of a cop who might have shot and killed a suicide bomber before boarding a plane at LAX? I doubt it. Why then, sir, are you going to accuse individuals of immoral behavoir when they might kill a suicide bomber who is walking into a school, or a polling place, or a cafe, in Tikrit, or Baghdad, or Ramadi? How can you call it immoral for a man to shoot at someone when that person just shot at him? Unfortunately, you don't yet have the real experience in these types of situations as a journalist, so you can't write about, with any credibility, the moral desicions men and women make in a combat zone. Is it immoral to invade a country on false pretenses? I along with many would agree that is an immoral desicion. It's disapointing that the political sins of our leaders have stirred up a hornets nest and have led people there to do evil. Some amongest our own have done evil, and they have answered for it in a court of law.

I saw men ignore their own saftey to protect people of a different color, religion, and language. I saw the use of force, time and time again, being restrained in order to protect the innocent. The men and women of our armed forces aren't ignoring their own morality, they are exemplifying it in a most honorable way. I hope some day you get the chance to experience this for yourself as I have while serving with them. It is the greatest honor of my life. Perhaps you, as well, should find something you can experience that would bring honor to your life.

Taking pot shots at people you dont know is not honorable.

WHAT THE GUY SAID:

Of the 100 emails I've gotten so far, this is the first I've responded to. I want to thank you for taking the time to write to me. I agree with all of what you said and regret implying that all the actions, or even most of the
actions, of the military are immoral. I do not believe that. At all.
Thanks again,
Joel

Dick Sirloin's buttbuddy said:
How can you call it immoral for a man to shoot at someone when that person just shot at him?
Holy shit this is gold, GOLD I tells you. Is this dude Christian?

Damn. That would rule if he was. :dopey:

umm, my name just changed, wtf.

Anyhow, I suppose I could pick apart that dude's response, but it was quite well written and not OMIG FUKK YUO COMIE!!!!!1111 so like, yeah. Plus I have to go back to work. First get a sody. Then maybe some chips. These are the best days of our lives.

Dick Sirloin said:
WHAT MY FRIEND SAID:

However, sir, the people on the other end aren't mom and pop out for a sunday stroll, they are individuals out to kill, and most of the time, out to kill innocent civilians. Is this immoral? Would you have written on the immorality of a cop who might have shot and killed a suicide bomber before boarding a plane at LAX? I doubt it. Why then, sir, are you going to accuse individuals of immoral behavoir when they might kill a suicide bomber who is walking into a school, or a polling place, or a cafe, in Tikrit, or Baghdad, or Ramadi?

The men and women of our armed forces aren't ignoring their own morality, they are exemplifying it in a most honorable way. I hope some day you get the chance to experience this for yourself as I have while serving with them. It is the greatest honor of my life. Perhaps you, as well, should find something you can experience that would bring honor to your life.
If what Nad quoted is gold, then these are priceless diamonds. Anyway i understand why Dick's friend says what he says.

I have no idea what's going on in this thread.

However, I want to confess right here right now, Angelina Jolie is having my baby.

Love it or leave it? Yeah baby....

each side of any given debate has the tendency to offer examples that best support their argument and ignore those that support the opposing side. while it is wrong to make a blanket statement and say that all actions by all members of the armed forces are wrong, by the same token they are not all saving schools and taking out terrorist commandos like that letter claims. what it basically comes down to is most soldiers didn't enlist with the desire to fight in iraq but i refuse to absolve of any blame those who chose to undergo military service.

and on another tangent i refuse to give respect to anyone simply on the basis of their military service. there are many things deserving of respect but signing up to be a cog in the machine in and of itself isn't one of them.

cthulufhtagn said:
each side of any given debate has the tendency to offer examples that best support their argument and ignore those that support the opposing side. while it is wrong to make a blanket statement and say that all actions by all members of the armed forces are wrong, by the same token they are not all saving schools and taking out terrorist commandos like that letter claims. what it basically comes down to is most soldiers didn't enlist with the desire to fight in iraq but i refuse to absolve of any blame those who chose to undergo military service.

and on another tangent i refuse to give respect to anyone simply on the basis of their military service. there are many things deserving of respect but signing up to be a cog in the machine in and of itself isn't one of them.

The second guy said that not all where being good guys over in Iraq. The first guy said all where being bad guys.

KILL TULLY said:
The second guy said that not all where being good guys over in Iraq. The first guy said all where being bad guys.

this is what i read:
Dick Sirloin said:
However, sir, the people on the other end aren't mom and pop out for a sunday stroll, they are individuals out to kill, and most of the time, out to kill innocent civilians.

iraqi civilians killed by US military action: ~30,000 (www.iraqbodycount.net)

surely they didn't all have c-4 strapped to them