wave your hand in the air if you just don't care about breakdowns

i like breakdowns that fit the song. not songs designed for the sole purpose of breakdowns. pantera had sick breakdowns, so does meshuggah and log. i dont like gay overused scenecore breakdowns.

Take a band like All Shall Perish: Contrary to many bands in their genre, these dudes can actually play. But they can't write well arranged, flowing songs if their life depended on it. Every time they have a somewhat good build up, nice riffage, they ruin it by going into the next breakdown, usually paired with pointless wank.

I don't think so. Hell, I haven't listened too much to them, but I've listened to The Price of Existence and I think the writing side of songs like We Hold These Truths is brilliant. There isn't a single lame riff in there, and I think the breakdown in that song is the most genious I've ever heard :lol:

Hatebreed is nothing but one giant breakdown , and I love it. Chimaira and LOG have some good ones, but I can see how Joey would probably be tired of listening to them by now.

i like breakdowns that fit the song. not songs designed for the sole purpose of breakdowns. pantera had sick breakdowns, so does meshuggah and log. i dont like gay overused scenecore breakdowns.

Oh yeah, the end of "Domination" makes me wanna destroy things.

I don't think so. Hell, I haven't listened too much to them, but I've listened to The Price of Existence and I think the writing side of songs like We Hold These Truths is brilliant. There isn't a single lame riff in there, and I think the breakdown in that song is the most genious I've ever heard :lol:

Well I can't and don't want to speak for anyone, but it really bothers me with their music. If you enjoy it, then that's great man. I just think there sooo unnecessary with their music and often completely destroy the overall arrangement, because they're often so drawn out and paired with the most pointless wank I've ever heard.

Despised Icon are over borderlining this issue for me too.

I wish I could find a band who writes songs constructed of nothing BUT breakdowns. Its the only reason I listen to music, anyway.
Verses are stupid. Every chorus EVER sucks balls. Bridges rule. Its simple, dudes.
Breakdowns are the money. Breakdowns own planet earth's butt hole.
Reconize.

I wish I could find a band who writes songs constructed of nothing BUT breakdowns. Its the only reason I listen to music, anyway.
Verses are stupid. Every chorus EVER sucks balls. Bridges rule. Its simple, dudes.
Breakdowns are the money. Breakdowns own planet earth's butt hole.
Reconize.

There's a whole genre, it's called beatdown hardcore.

It's supporters make trendcore kids look like the most sophisticated people on earth.

Maybe I'm just deaf but I've never heard any breakdowns on the All Shall Perish album I own (Awaken the Dreamers). They don't really sound deathcore, they seem more technical death metal with a deathcore vibe and metalcore influence, rather than being an all out fag fest deathcore band like Bring Me the Horizon or bands of a similar lame garbage style.

I hear plenty of breakdown-riffs on the title track alone. Overall it's mostly their almost constant dabbling in mid-tempo that provokes my disliking. Kinda like modern Behemoth on a whole different musical dimension.

But again, nothing against that band. Major props to their technical level, it's just not my style.

the worst is most proper breakdowns. no bad-ass-ness, no originality, just straight chug in generic patterns.

fuck that.

last time i checked you were the guy that recorded all the music thats flooding the market with breakdowns?
reaping what you been sowing bro

If I did that well with a band and the management decided to go with Zeuss, I'd walk to their offices and start flinging 10-foot hammers into their building while Tesla coils lit the entire block with brilliant, lethal, chaotic arcs.

"Who's the Norse god of thunder and fucking huge hammers now, fuckheads?" I'd scream.

"That's Thor. Where the fuck did you get so many Tesla coils? And where's the thunder supposed to come from? This is just weird," they'd respond.

"Oh, balls, that's right," I'd respond, before their building caught on fire and everybody died. It wouldn't matter, though, because I killed them with *science*.

Anyway, fuck breakdowns.

Jeff

Thomas Dolby remake - "He Bludgeoned me with Science". :lol:

I think I totally skipped the new wave of douchecore metal. The word 'breakdown' applies to absolutely nothing I ever listen to willingly.

I was like that for ages.
Totally shunned anything with the metalcore or deathcore label.
Glad I stopped being so close minded about it. I used to hate KSE purely because most of their fan base seemed like complete fuckwits, but I actually gave some of their songs a chance and really dug it.
Most of the deathcore genre of what I've heard is pretty terrible, but again, there's a few gems if you're willing to look.
You know, speaking of core, I think Stabbing the Drama is actually more appropriately called metalcore (aesthetically it's still "melodic death metal" of course) due to how it sounds musically and it's one of your favorite reference albums:lol: (and one of mine now too, admittedly haha except you said you don't dig the music so I much, but I can dig most of that album)

If I did that well with a band and the management decided to go with Zeuss, I'd walk to their offices and start flinging 10-foot hammers into their building while Tesla coils lit the entire block with brilliant, lethal, chaotic arcs.

"Who's the Norse god of thunder and fucking huge hammers now, fuckheads?" I'd scream.

"That's Thor. Where the fuck did you get so many Tesla coils? And where's the thunder supposed to come from? This is just weird," they'd respond.

"Oh, balls, that's right," I'd respond, before their building caught on fire and everybody died. It wouldn't matter, though, because I killed them with *science*.

Anyway, fuck breakdowns.

Jeff

And somewhere on a sidestreet, an onlooker muses ..."Isn't Zeuss Greek? Why is Thor here?"

... and he's promptly struck by one of the aforementioned 10 foot hammers, causing his head to explode like a bag of meat being dropped from a tall building

all "breakdowns" are not created equal.

"breakdowns" have been a part of metal for some time now... when used in a aong, to add to it, or enhance it, and when the song reaches a point that it seems natural to have one, there's nothing wrong with them... at all. period. seriously, it's just as ridiculous to posit that anything that could be described as a "breakdown" should NOT be added to songs, even if it comes naturally in the writing process and conveys the feeling you want to have at that moment, as it is to just automatically insert them into every song for no good reason.

but when you have a situation... like the one we have today which i think is pretty unique and weird, where the song is written FOR the breakdown, rather than other way around... well then, "Houston... we have a problem."

reaping what you been sowing bro

I honestly read that as "Reamping what you been sowing"

I gotta say that in bands that write breakdowns/beatdowns in the right place, i often enjoy, Parkway Drive use them alot, but it goes with their genre...

The end of Davidian by Machine Head, the end of Domination by Pantera, some of the newer Soulfly tracks

With bands like Lamb of God, i enjoy how a breakown is in like a half time feel, but this doesnt change the tempo of the song, or when they go into a breakdown and come out of it alot faster and more intense in a new riff...