Waves L2

John - LCTD

New Metal Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.myspace.com
Just wondering, has anyone else noticed a high frequency noise (around 17kHz) thta is present when using the Waves L2 Level Maximiser Vst Plugin? I found it present even when there is no signal passing through it. I aslo found that it has been adding a natsy high frequency resonance to my masters, and i assume that it has soimething to do with this.

Just curious as to whether it is an issue with my plugin/direct-x or if other people have had that problem.

Thankyou for your help in advance,
Take it easy,
John - LCTD x

I haven't measured the exact place where the 'harshness' occurs, but yes, the L2 has always made my masters sound very digital and grainy. Not pleasant in the least.

I've had much more success using the Vintage Warmer on masters.

Just a thought...
Too much limiting = Harmonic distortion
When your cymbals start to sound more trebly, you're gone too far.

Sounds like the L2's dither quantising at 16bit, "normal" dither, "ultra" shapping. Or maybe your pushing it too much. Watch the GR meter. I find that after 6db GR it starts frying up things.

I really can't decide if I like the L2 or not.

Sometimes the L1 has done a better job.

Haven't tried the L3.

UAD precision limiter is meant to be really good.

Sorry, it was late. After reading again (no signal passing through it) :oops: , john is probably talking about dither, but Moonlaspse seems to talk about distortion...

Dushan S said:
Voxengo Elephant, but it is PC only

I did a few tests with Voxengo's Elephant last week while trying L2 and L3 and from what I could hear, Voxengo's are telling bullshit about not messing with the dynamic structure of the signals and I think it lacks the bits of sparkle that L2 adds. I couldn't try L3 intensively because my cpu and ram, didn't permited, but from an article I read on sound on sound, it's meant to be very good if you are going for max-loudness type of thing. The prioritizing of the compression bands is also a very nice feature. Back to the subject, I haven't noticed any noise around that frequency and even if I had found, I would think it'd be my soundcard, cuz the input is slightly fuckedup, cable is kinda contorted and suspended upon a platform but have you checked it with different monitors? could be a monitor thing, I think? :)

Burny: Thanks for the tip about the harmonic distortion! I had a mastered song with that problem and I couldn't figure it out, I am going to check it out today when I arrive home :)