Waves L2

Thankyou so much to everyone for their input and help.
In response to a few peoples suggestions, its not a monitor thing, because if i bypass the plugin, the noise is nopt present. And its not a harmonic distortion thign becausde it is present when not proccesing is taking place. And also, i never let it attenuate more than 3-4 dB, as i have found it very harsh-sounding.

But i do think it could be the dithering, as i have always used the L2 to dither my mixes down to 16 bit, so isuppose it could be the dither-noise. Can anyone suggest a better way to dither apart from using the L2? For example, is the Apogee UV22 plugin any good?

And also, if i recorded my projects in 16 bit, should i set the dither output on the L2 to 24 bit to get rid of this noise and harshness?

Thanks again.
John - LCTD x

kev said:
Im curious how the l2 manages to pump up the signal without clipping out!?

it makes the peaks quiter so the rms can come up....

John - LCTD said:
But i do think it could be the dithering, as i have always used the L2 to dither my mixes down to 16 bit, so isuppose it could be the dither-noise. Can anyone suggest a better way to dither apart from using the L2? For example, is the Apogee UV22 plugin any good?

I find it very unlikely that you could hear the dithering noise really (enough to be annoyed by it)... Is it the last chain in you master bus ?

John - LCTD said:
And also, if i recorded my projects in 16 bit, should i set the dither output on the L2 to 24 bit to get rid of this noise and harshness?

No, you should set the quantize to 16 bits, and the dither and shaping to None because you don't want any.

abigailwilliams said:
and the answer is yes i can.

I thought you could...you should have 14 days I think. But get this...I'm not able to download and use a demo on my computer because I already bought and installed a copy of the Musicians Bundle II. It's pretty crazy, but it's almost like you're being penalized for actually buying a copy.

What happens is that all the V5 Waves products share the same authorization protocol. So, if you already have one bundle of V5 plug-in's installed and you try to use a demo of another bundle to try out, it will read that you have a unregistered product and not function. Not only will it not function, but it will likely also keep your previously authorized plug's that you bought from working until you remove the demo version you wanted to try. So, you basically get screwed if you've already bought one package and want to try something else...but, if you've never given the company a dime of your money, you're free to download any bundle you want to try for 14 days. Funny how that works...:err:

I think you need an iLock also, just to try demo's....not 100% sure. Why get hooked on a product from a company, that is going to screw you big time if you decide to buy it....Heaven forbid. Have you looked at Ozone from Izotope?...there are plenty others out there also....just my $.02.

JV said:
I think you need an iLock also, just to try demo's....not 100% sure. Why get hooked on a product from a company, that is going to screw you big time if you decide to buy it....Heaven forbid. Have you looked at Ozone from Izotope?...there are plenty others out there also....just my $.02.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to have an iLok these days. I think as of about a month ago, they no longer let you authorize anything to your hard drive at Waves. I'm looking into some others at the moment, and Ozone is one of them. I have the Waves Musicians Bundle II, but I just keep it around for the EQ and compressor.

Cheers Brett.

Yeah, it is the last plugin in my insert chain. But i can't think else it could be apart form dither noise as it is definitly coming from the L2, and is prewsent when the audio is not playing.

I will experiment with the other dithering controls to see if that gets rid of it. I record most of my projects at 16bit anyway, so i do not require any dithering at the master stage.

So has no one else noticed this noise then?

Cheers,
John - LCTD x

silverwulf said:
I thought you could...you should have 14 days I think. But get this...I'm not able to download and use a demo on my computer because I already bought and installed a copy of the Musicians Bundle II. It's pretty crazy, but it's almost like you're being penalized for actually buying a copy.

What happens is that all the V5 Waves products share the same authorization protocol. So, if you already have one bundle of V5 plug-in's installed and you try to use a demo of another bundle to try out, it will read that you have a unregistered product and not function. Not only will it not function, but it will likely also keep your previously authorized plug's that you bought from working until you remove the demo version you wanted to try. So, you basically get screwed if you've already bought one package and want to try something else...but, if you've never given the company a dime of your money, you're free to download any bundle you want to try for 14 days. Funny how that works...:err:

wow that sucks. yea ive had the demo before when i had a pc and i thought i had tried to use a demo on my mac already before but i guess i did something wrong because this seems to be working. whenever i get the money theres defenitely a few waves plugins i gotta own.

oh also im able to use the demo without an ilok.

adrianvillan said:
Its there way of ripping you off of tech support and upgrades.

Pretty much...in all fairness, I guess you don't get free upgrades and tech support with much else after a while either, so they're really fine in that respect. It's not like we buy a computer and expect them to send us a newer model for free once it's released. But, the problem is that they won't provide any support for version you do have unless you pay for the WUP.

abigailwilliams said:
whats WUP?

Depending on the Bundle or plugs you purchase, Waves does an estimate of your purchase, of which you need to pay each year. If you decide not to pay after a year, then you are not entitled to any updates. If there are no updates, then you just spent money for absolutely nothing. Wait two years, it's now double, after three, triple and so forth. I have the Gold Bundle 4.0....To get v5.0, I "owe" over $300 to obtain that upgrade... For the SAME fuckin' bundle I already spent a $1,000.00 on!.. ........Furthermore, when I get a new computer, not only do I have to spend $300+, but now I need to purchase an iLock for their new native authorization" screw job". If money is no object to you.....go for it!!!....Not me......That $300 is going elsewhere, before I "rent" from Waves......Live and learn they say, and boy have I ever.

No, not really, L3 sounds different... It's hard to keep the right frequency balance with it.