Waves Update Plan?!?!

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Da fuq is this?! I got an email saying my plan is going to expire and I have to pay $62.70 for a "Waves Update Plan Extension" for 3 fucking plugins that I own.

Am I missing something here? I have to pay more $ to keep using the plugins that I legitimately bought?!?

(I'm pretty new to Waves but I got the free One-Knob Louder as well as C4 and L1 when they were on sale.....)

Ok, maybe I jumped the gun there. I guess this is just to keep getting update notifications and such for plugins you already own?

My bad if this is crazy, but the email I got, as well as Waves site, was not very clear in explaining exactly what this is.

You can use the plugins forever, it's just that you only get one year of free updates. It's an unpopular policy but in practice I've owned waves plugins for 5 years and have never paid for a WUP. I'll probably end up doing it when I go to PT 11 but until then there isn't much incentive. So basically you pay when there is a major upgrade you need, same as other software.

Yeah, I got the email last week too, I think it's an excellent way to sour customer relations.

All I can think is that they must be bleeding cash and losing massive market share given that every VST plugin has either a cheaper (eg Hornet Volume vs vocal / bass rider) or better implemented alternative (e.g. Slate VCC vs NLS).

I've bought the Waves SSL and CLA compressors in 2009 (Waves V7) or so and never updated them or paid a WUP fee since then.
The next time (and first time for me) to pay for WUP will be when I will step up to Pro Tools 11 and AAX64. If I don't go to PT11, I'll probably stay on my ancient versions for some more time.

To sum up:
Yes, you have to pay for updates, but usually you don't need to, unless major technology changes occur (like 64 bit or AAX).

This is redonkulous! I got the email as well and at first I was like "Wuuut? Now I should pay for a plugin they offered me for free?" but then I was like "Let's check the forum for that." and at least now I know what it's about. Still stupid though imo. I'm just glad that I don't really need Waves plugins for what I do.

I literally just had the following added to the Waves Update Plan renewal email a few days ago to make it 100% clear.

"Please keep in mind Waves Update Plan coverage is not necessary to continue using the version of the licenses you have. You only need to renew when you need the benefits gained by WUP coverage."

These benefits include update/upgrades on new versions (for current DAW, OS, computer support), any additional plugins added to license(s), or receiving access to Waves Tech Support.

The best way to look at it is, you update when you want. With that update you are guaranteed for one year to get anything added to your licenses (version update, plugins added to a bundle, etc) or any support needed without paying anything.

Upgrades to higher bundles (ie Gold to Platinum etc) would include one year of WUP as well for the new license created.
Of course new Waves License purchases come with one year of the Waves Update Plan for that license from the day of registration.

I hope this helps.

"Please keep in mind Waves Update Plan coverage is not necessary to continue using the version of the licenses you have. You only need to renew when you need the benefits gained by WUP coverage."

Just to be sure, WUP is not necessary to use the plugins but the more you wait to renew, the more it's expensive, am I right?

I just bought the CLA comps and before buying the V-Series bundle, I want to be sure to understand well the WUP thing, I'm still a bit confused about it.

WUP is a standard price based on what you own ...with a price cap.

I have easily < $200 of Waves stuff - probably closer to $150 - all deep sale/free stuff: CLA comps, RBass, SuperTap, C4, Q10, and that 1-knob thing I never use.
According to Waves, I'm up to date in versions, and my 2-year WUP is $168.

Yeah ... No.
If it came with holographic tit-knobs, sure, otherwise naaa.

Correct, not an annual fee.
Update if the plug has new functionality you want/need ...for example: tit knobs.